Frame Rates

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3802 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

120 FPS? Are we showing off here?

Awh, I can't  partake, I simply have never checked. Either I lag, or I don't. Couldn't care less for the FPS, as this isn't an MMORPG where I feel the need to shout "The heal went through!!!!!" when there's a FPS drop.

The 120 are in areas with little or no other avs. Busy areas are around 30 or so. As I said I am just curious. I know Second life is notorious for lag and I was just wondering how frame rates were. Nothing more or less. I am really fairly new to the frame rate thing. Thanks Mistahmoose. I haven't even checked my settings. I will do that.

If you're using Firestorm, go to Preferences->Graphics->Rendering, check "Limit Framerate" and set the FPS to something less than 60FPS. Your computer's screen probably refreshes at 60Hz, so there's no point in letting SL draw more frames than that per second, it's a pure waste of energy and compute time. I've got my Mac set to 24 FPS, which is plenty fast for me and keeps the fans off.

For statistical purposes I usually get around 30-50fps in a quiet sim in High graphics with advanced lighting on and shadows off.  (Graphics card is an nVidea 650GTX). Never noticed that fps-cap in Firestorm, that's useful to know.

The highest real frame rate you can get is 45. That's the fastest the SL servers will feed discreet frame information to your viewer under ideal circumstances. If you're frame rate is reporting higher, all that's happening is your video card is repeating frames while waiting for new frame data to arrive. In practical terms, you probably won't see any noticible difference at anything above 30 FPS or so. Feel free to increase the graphics settings until you get down to that point and enjoy.

Crim Mip wrote:

The highest real frame rate you can get is 45. That's the fastest the SL servers will feed discreet frame information to your viewer under ideal circumstances. If you're frame rate is reporting higher, all that's happening is your video card is repeating frames while waiting for new frame data to arrive. In practical terms, you probably won't see any noticible difference at anything above 30 FPS or so. Feel free to increase the graphics settings until you get down to that point and enjoy.

that is often said, but it is not really how it works. physics position updates use a 45 hz sample, but all the rendered motion is generated on the client side and only limited by the client hardware.

Yes, I was just going to add that. Things like animations, flexi, particles, non physical object rotation, texture rotation are just some examples of client side rendered effects, as is merely changing camera angle and view all of which will quite happily render at whatever the graphics card does even if the sim is lagged to 1 fps (which fortunately isn't something we see that often these days)

There doesn't appear to be that too. I just tried it in a place where I was getting ~24FPS, by setting the MaxFPS to 10, just to be sure there should be a big difference. There was no change. So I relogged in case it was set up on lgging in, but there was still no difference. So it looks like setting MaxFPS doesn't have any effect with the LL viewer, at least not at low framerates.

10 isn't a frame rate limit that anyone should use, it's probably prevented from dropping that absurdly low (I haven't tested it, but I continue to have faith in Sassy). A frame rate like that would damage the Second Life experience.

Try 30, and head up to a skybox or something. 20 is the recommendation made by the in-viewer Lag-Meter (which may/may not be tied into this setting).

You have reminded me to test this for myself, I commonly score >100FPS in SL, so I can probably score quite some benefits by limiting.

Ok. I'm at 4000m, standing on a cube, and had my FPS at ~45. I set the MaxFPS to 30, as you suggested, but it didn't change my framerate one bit. So I relogged to the same place, just in case it needed it to take effect, and my framerate was in the 70s, where it stays as long as the viewer has the focus. So setting the MaxFPS in the current LL viewer doesn't have any effect. At last not for me.

Yeah, it was a similar question and was posted here as a response to my own wish for frame rate limiting.

Dillon goes on to say that she has difficulty getting a response from MaxFPS, but Madeline seems fine doing so. I don't think either (except Sassy, on FS) provide their ViewerIDs.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3802 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.