Second Life goes mobile!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yay!... $3 an hour.... um yeah, no thanks. I already use Lumiya. It's not the same quality as a pc viewer, but allows me to go in world, interact with my environment (on a limited scale), chat change outfits, dance. And I don't have to constantly feed the meter, as it were.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is great news!  Thanks Ebbe.  Only a couple of weeks and already Mr. Ebbe is rolling out new features.  He must have his programmers working OT.  Or was this a Rod legacy?

PS Who is doing customer support, LL or onlive?  At $3 an hour perhaps LL expects us forum people to handle the myriad of questions coming our way, and for $0 an hour.   

/waits for the new sub-forum 'Mobile SL' to open.  I guess that's what Ebbe meant by us seeing more or the Linden's on SLF. 

What's with the negativity here?

The possibility to run SL in high quality on very low specs.

Doesn't anyone see the bigger picture?

(I do not like the $3 an hour rate, but for people who spend 4 hours a week in SL on the weekend and have no other need for a $1500-$2000 machine, it's actually very reasonable.)

I don't know if they addressed the conflict of the TOS between both organisations, I was in the first beta phase but lost interest when they couldn't follow up on tickets relating to the accounts I was using.

I also was correct when I suspected that it wouldn't be free.

I have used Splashtop from my home PC to whatever device I happen to use.  Works brilliantly and because I own the PC at home, I *CAN* upload things from it remotely to SL.  You can't do that with the OnLive service because you don't own or have control of the PC upon which the viewer is running.

Look, it's just another way of opening up SL but i'm not sure that the uptake will be there at the cost it's rolling out at.  Time will tell.

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

A lot of the negativity, at least on my part and from what I have read others say, stems from Daniel Voyage to the Bottom of the Abyss's blog post about something big is going to be announced.

And there is simply put, no big whoop de doo here.

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

(I do not like the $3 an hour rate, but for people who spend 4 hours a week in SL on the weekend and have no other need for a $1500-$2000 machine, it's actually very reasonable.)

Oh, I very much like the idea of SL in high quality on low specs.

But what's wrong with this picture is why hasn't LL developed this and made it available to its customers directly.  Some times you'd get the impression that they are working to the max to improove things.  It makes the Lab look like they have been doing a piss pour job.

Lastly, after spending 10 to 12 dollars a week to be in SL on the week ends, do you think these people who have no other need for a $1500 machine (really translated, "who can not afford one") are going to spend any money in SL?

And really, SL runs pretty dang good on my $500 machine sans the curse of the 'texture memory discard.'

Perrie Juran wrote:

But what's wrong with this picture is why hasn't LL developed this and made it available to its customers directly.  Some times you'd get the impression that they are working to the max to improove things.  It makes the Lab look like they have been doing a piss pour job.

I'd say it's probably because of the requirement for the infrastucture.  To have capacity to spin up all the virtual machines that are required is a bit of an unknown to LL so it's easier to have it hosted externally by a company already set up to do just that.

Now... wouldn't it be nice were it a premium account benefit...

Perrie Juran wrote:

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

A lot of the negativity, at least on my part and from what I have read others say, stems from Daniel Voyage to the Bottom of the Abyss's blog post about something big is going to be announced.

And there is simply put, no big whoop de doo here.

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

Oh, I very much like the idea of SL in high quality on low specs.

Lastly, after spending 10 to 12 dollars a week to be in SL on the week ends, do you think these people who have no other need for a $1500 machine (really translated, "who can not afford one") are going to spend any money in SL?

And really, SL runs pretty dang good on my $500 machine sans the curse of the 'texture memory discard.'

LL hasn't made this available to their customers directly because they haven't got the technology, the know how, the venture backing, nor a business model that would support it.

Every instance of an SL Go connection requires a server somewhere, running the SL Viewer (modified to suit the restricted interface). The resulting image output stream is sent (if they still use it) to an OnLive designed video compression chip, which forwards an H.264 compressed video stream to the standard playback hardware in modern mobile devices.

To loft such infrastructure only for SL residents would make no sense. Lofting such infrastructure for ALL the uses originally envisioned by OnLive made no sense and they went sick. The reason this service costs $3/hr is that users are renting the PC they don't have to purchase. But that PC must still exist. And I imagine that only a fraction of that $3/Hr goes to LL, probably a small fraction.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Now... wouldn't it be nice were it a premium account benefit...

I can't see LL sending OnLive $2+/Hr for premium members who decide to log in from their phone. The USD$1.20/week they offer in stipend ends up being spent in-world and I suspect a good bit of that comes right back to LL.

$2.50 per hour? Really? Okay, this deserves a HUGE....W-T-F-?!?!?!

I already have invested way too much in to SL....I sure the hell am NOT paying to log in on a tablet!

What ever LL person was behind this...needs his or her fool head examined.

I mean seriously....FIX WHAT NEEDED TO BE FIXED FOR YEARS...stop looking for more ways to make your Residents go broke!

Free 20 Minute Trial

Buy time credits to use at your own pace. The more you buy, the more you save. Rates low as $2.50/hr. BULLSH*T!

Shannon Danick wrote:

My understanding of what I've read about this -- and I may have misunderstood -- is that the project is OnLine's, not LL's.   That would suggest that OnLine has assumed the costs of developing and running the project, and will be paying LL a fee. So from LL's point of view, there's very little risk involved and quite a lot of potential benefit.      

I don't think I'll find the product much use, since most of the time I connect to SL it's on my desktop, running with high end (if not quite ultra) settings or on my tablet, using Lumiya, and I can't see any reason to change that.   But presumably I'm not the target market.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Shannon Danick wrote:

My understanding of what I've read about this -- and I may have misunderstood -- is that the project is OnLine's, not LL's.   That would suggest that OnLine has assumed the costs of developing and running the project, and will be paying LL a fee. So from LL's point of view, there's very little risk involved and quite a lot of potential benefit.      

I don't think I'll find the product much use, since most of the time I connect to SL it's on my desktop, running with high end (if not quite ultra) settings or on my tablet, using Lumiya, and I can't see any reason to change that.   But presumably I'm not the target market.

I agree. I expect that LL's only investment was in modifying the viewer to handle the different UI available from the tablet. SL doesn't seem like a terribly attractive PR example for what OnLive can do, but LL might have been one of the few companies who didn't reject the offer to collaborate. The cynic in me is imagining two people in the water, throwing life preservers to each other. Even if LL had to invest in modification of the viewer code, by the time Ebbe arrived that was sunk. So he simply had to make the decision to flip the switch on whatever revenue might accrue to LL from OnLive. If there's a risk, it's probably in public perception if OnLive gets sick again.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Shannon Danick wrote:

The targets were obvious.....the Bloggers.  ;)

I don't know what their R&D costs would have been on this, maybe it was very minimal.  So long run there might be a nice ROI.  Personally I can't think of a single person I know who'd use this.  But I've been surprised before.

Jo Yardley wrote:

Second Life goes mobile!

slgo
/

As soon as you’ve signed up, you get a 20 minutes free trial.

If you plan to become a more regular user, you’ll have to purchase SL minutes packs,

• 1 hour will cost 2.50$
  • 3 hours will cost 8$
  • 10 hours will cost 25$

Not for me. hellz no. I pay enuff on my pc prem account. Forgetabout it.

Storm Clarence wrote:

The absolute last thing I want is access in-world when I am not at home (that's why it's called real life - I have one.)  Sure I read and post to the forum or feed while I'm idling away time in the subway or on a bus, but ....

Then don't access it when you're not at home. You're not the target audience for this. Almost none of us on the forums are. I can't imagine too many companies that WOULD target forum/BBS habituees, except possibly for Geritol.

This doesn't make sense for people who spend large amounts of money up-front for hardware and expect data to be free or cheap, but many people now are using a completely different financial model - "free" hardware replaced from time to time by a provider as part of a comparatively expensive monthly data service. There are people asking how they can run SL on tablets, etc. pretty frequently in Answers and the tech forums.

Cinnamon Mistwood wrote:

The per hour charge will be limiting, but I am sure some people will really like it.

Likely the people who have their noses constantly stuck in their mobile devices - like the type I see in stores who run into people or like the person I saw who walked into the path of an oncoming car the other day due to staring at his mobile device.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:.

This doesn't make sense for people who spend large amounts of money up-front for hardware and expect data to be free or cheap,
but many people now are using a completely different financial model - "free" hardware replaced from time to time by a provider as part of a comparatively expensive monthly data service. There are people asking how they can run SL on tablets, etc. pretty frequently in Answers and the tech forums.

Iphones?  Ipads?  $3.00 an hour -- Lol, Lassie.  Lol. 

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

Ummmm...the PC I use to run SL cost me approximately $800 USD.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.