Second Life goes mobile!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3586 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is great news!

SL will finally be available for the new generation, the ones who grow accostumed to high quality graphics and mobile devices, only a company like OnLive could make this happen, like it has done before with other PC games, making them run in high graphics with low hardware, and convert them to many kinds of devices, including TV.

it may be not very beneficial to the old generation that is used to desktop computers and some move to laptops, but it surely will be more natural to use for the new potential users.

its still in beta, there are some adjustments that may need to be made, but the capacity to run SL on a mobile device so fast and in maximum quality is a good place to be in a beta.

I kind of doubt that this so-called "new generation", who are more casual gamers accustomed to F2P or $2.99 apps, will be very gung ho to pony up an hourly fee to connect to a 10 year old virtual world with a questionable reputation. SL ain't Candy Crush.

I'd also remind you that OnLive has yet to prove that their concept has a viable market and has gone under once. If streaming PC games to low-powered mobile devices was such a big deal, why hasn't OnLive generated massive buzz? Where are the crowds clamoring for this service? Where are the tech gurus hyping this as the next paradigm shift? Where are the investors? Most of all, where are the paying customers?

Call me a member of the Geritol set all you like but, I know a bad idea when I see one and this is a bad idea. Just because people have been asking about SL on tablets and phones for a while doesn't suddenly and automatically make this a viable business.

I doubt any of us hardcore users are the target market, although a few may use it when on vacation to traveling to check i.e. leave messages or have a little chat with a partner or close friend. etc.  The prices are like long distant calls use to be but make it expensive for a lot of people to use regularly though.

This may interest some people though, particularly young people that are constantly connected via phone or tablet.  Who knows, after getting a good taste of SL this way, they may figure out how to do this for free by using a good lappy or home PC.  It will probably bring in a few new people, those that want to use SL here and there for an hour or so to kill some time, and those that may graduate to more serious users and start to use a lappy of home PC.

Canoro Philipp wrote:

that is great news!

SL will finally be available for the new generation, the ones who grow accostumed to high quality graphics and mobile devices, only a company like OnLive could make this happen, like it has done before with other PC games, making them run in high graphics with low hardware, and convert them to many kinds of devices, including TV.

it may be not very beneficial to the old generation that is used to desktop computers and some move to laptops, but it surely will be more natural to use for the new potential users.

its still in beta, there are some adjustments that may need to be made, but the capacity to run SL on a mobile device so fast and in maximum quality is a good place to be in a beta.

I have to admit, it's hard for me to imagine squinting at SL on a seven inch screen.  It's also hard for me to do things that others have mentioned like building.

Right now I have a 19 inch screen and it is really hard for me to imagine downsizing.  Especially when i am really wanting to upsize. 

So you may be right, the next generation may embrace SL on a seven inch screen. 

I´ll remind you that this is a beta, and some adjustments are still in progress, including prices. the current price may be a form of funding the further development of this project, or a test to see how it can provide revenue to both companies.

SL has questionable reputation, but so many other games, and they are still played in OnLive, that content dont scare gamers away, quite the contrary.

you have many questions that probably dont have simple answers, but Onlive streaming service is something that was groundbreaking, nobody believed that that was possible, of course it affected hardware developers sales, and game developers that would have preferred that the users would rather pay the full price, and some countries policies were not very receptive to the system, but that doesnt make Onlive a bad system.

Deej Kasshiki wrote:

I kind of doubt that this so-called "new generation", who are more casual gamers accustomed to F2P or $2.99 apps, will be very gung ho to pony up an hourly fee to connect to a 10 year old virtual world with a questionable reputation. SL ain't Candy Crush.

I'd also remind you that OnLive has yet to prove that their concept has a viable market and has gone under once. If streaming PC games to low-powered mobile devices was such a big deal, why hasn't OnLive generated massive buzz? Where are the crowds clamoring for this service? Where are the tech gurus hyping this as the next paradigm shift? Where are the investors? Most of all, where are the
paying customers
?

Call me a member of the Geritol set all you like but, I know a bad idea when I see one and this is a bad idea. Just because people have been asking about SL on tablets and phones for a while doesn't suddenly and automatically make this a viable business.

I don't think it's bad per se.  I see nothing wrong with having it available.  There will probably be some people who will use it while they are away from their computers.

What I found was bad was touting it as the next BIG THING.

Especially when you have a whole population of current residents who have issues they feel are much more important like improving customer service, fast and decisive action against repeat DMCA violators, swifter response to griefing attacks, you know, those kind of things.  Lord only knows what is going on with the Marketplace.  Is the programming even salvageable?  We were promised long ago as Premium members REGULAR free gifts.  When was the last new gift released?  I could go on.

Unfortuneately Ebbe has inherited a history of bad PR moves and other blunders so the way this was announced has not sat well with some if not many of us.

Time will tell but right now I do believe he wants to fix these long term problems. 

That at least is my feeling on the matter.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

What's with the negativity here?

The possibility to run SL in high quality on very low specs.

Doesn't anyone see the bigger picture?

(I do not like the $3 an hour rate, but for people who spend 4 hours a week in SL on the weekend and have no other need for a $1500-$2000 machine, it's actually very reasonable.)

Ummmm...the PC I use to run SL cost me approximately $800 USD.

That PC won't run SL on ultra settings with 200 fps, will it?

Mine even doesn't (unless I'm on an empty platform), while it cost me EUR1500 excluding VAT. It's quite a bit faster than yours, especially the video card. That was one and a half years ago, but for a high end CPU you still pay ~$300 and a high end graphics card still costs $400 or more. I don't think you can buy a case, PS, motherboard, operating system, harddrive and all the small bits for the $100 that are left. You can wait for sales and get the number down a couple of 100 bucks, but that still leaves you without a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Now if either of us wanted the same specs, but on a mobile device, the price would go up some more.

Anyway, the point wasn't the exact price for good hardware, it's the fact some people aren't willing to invest in hardware just to run SL.

Although the same ones who are unwilling to invest in hardware are also probably as unlikely to see any reason to spend at an hourly rate to be in SL.

The OnLive platform doesn't deliver 200 fps either. :)

It's an access method but not a substitute purely because not all features can work. Unable to upload content limits use for creation for example.

Remember the viewer in a browser? That seemed to work ok although I only tried it on a windows pc. That would have been a more usable method but it's all moot. This is the present offering but I will continue to stream my viewer from home via splashtop.

So, why is it that OnLive is able to run SL on ultra specs, at 50fps, with little to no lag on a tablet or phone with apparently low-end specs (even at the bigger sims it seems) while a regular desktop, with a decent GPU and other specs, could have a fair amount of lag?

Is it just a server or something?

As I understand it, SL is actually running on OnLive's computers and the results are streamed to you.    So your tablet just has to display the images it receives rather than generate them itself.     

Presumaby, you'll still need a reasonably fast and robust internet connection, but it's not going to be like anything so demanding of your machine's GPU and CPU, since most of the heavy calculating is happening at OnLine's end of things.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Two days so far, and no one seems to feel this innovation represents The End Of Second Life™.    Is this a record?

No, a record is a 7" or 12" thin black vinyl disk with a spiral groove on each side and a hole in the middle.

This is just another Dead End Of Second Life™

Wooja...reckonthisisagreatdiversiontohidethelackofprogressonthereallyimportantstuff

Wooja wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Two days so far, and no one seems to feel this innovation represents The End Of Second Life™.    Is this a record?

No, a record is a 7" or 12" thin black vinyl disk with a spiral groove on each side and a hole in the middle.

This is just another Dead End Of Second Life™

Wooja...reckonthisisagreatdiversiontohidethelackofprogressonthereallyimportantstuff

My records are made of shellac.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Although the same ones who are unwilling to invest in hardware are also probably as unlikely to see any reason to spend at an hourly rate to be in SL.

I don't see the connection between those two.

Some people have absolutely no need to have a full size computer sitting on their desk 24/7 when all they want is to access a service on a limited basis. There are also people who don't want to fiddle with a gazillion graphics settings, just to find a somewhat acceptable match with their computer specs (only to find out their router had to be reset or the viewer needed an update or they have to start over when they teleport to a new sim with a different amount of objects, textures, avatars etc). Some people simply like to use their tablet for SL, either on the couch or on the road.

I don't think people will compare the two options of investing in hardware or using a paid service. All I said was the price seems to be reasonable.

The OnLive platform doesn't deliver 200 fps either.
:)

That's what I read, so it's all I have to go by. I don't have an android phone or tablet to test it. 200 fps is useless anyway, since that's a lot higher than the refresh rate of those devices. It does indicate you get high performance on very low spec devices, apparantly higher than I get on a high end desktop. Maybe the hardware and viewer they use produce 200fps which is then used to make a 25fps movie, fps don't say a whole lot when you compare local rendering to watching a streamed movie.

It's an access method but not a substitute purely because not all features can work. Unable to upload content limits use for creation for example.

I don't think it's either meant or advertised as a substitute, that would be pretty stupid.

Believe it or not, not everyone who logs in to SL, logs in for pixel sex. Some of us are here purely to profit off our products that we spend hours creating. But I forget, most people jaded by or who misunderstand SecondLife; think that SL is all about virtual carnal activities. (sarcasm).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3586 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.