What's positive and exciting?

Wooja

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3711 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If you're a nuclear physicist the answer is probably a proton in the LHC.

But according to Daniel Voyager (one of the Chosen Few, select LL cheerleaders, who has been given insider information -surprise, surprise) the answer is an announcement to be made by LL at 9am SLT this Wednesday.

Feel free to use this thread to try and guess what it might be.

I'll start off, by suggesting Ebbe's fired the whole marketing department and replaced them with Jennifer Lawrence's PR team.

Wooja...thinkthatwasagoodstart

My guess [Dream] is that due to realized savings in consolidating the data center operations and server density, a portion of these savings will be passed to the residents as reduced tier fees for the whole spectrum of leased products.

~~ It's a dream of mine.

Perrie Juran wrote:

They dump Lithium and buy some real Forum software.

Lithium is larger than LL, gets far better reviews and has an impressive customer list. I've wandered other Lithium powered forums and found them to be spam free, full featured,highly trafficked and smooth running. I've come to the conclusion that LL is the culprit here, not Lithium. And for that reason, I've no reason to think that switching forum software would yield an improvement. I'd rather see them put at least a little effort into getting their deployment of Lithium to run even half as well as I've seen elsewhere.

yeah that. LL has always treated its web properties as a burden and spent the bare minimum on development and maintenance. the old, old forum sucked too because it was neglected. it's the same story for profiles, search, marketplace.

this right here tells me all i need to know about Ebbe Altberg. he picked up right away on the main problem with so many SL things.

https://twitter.com/ebbealtberg/status/436318996325875712

ObviousAltIsObvious wrote:

yeah that. LL has always treated its web properties as a burden and spent the bare minimum on development and maintenance. the old, old forum sucked too because it was neglected. it's the same story for profiles, search, marketplace.

this right here tells me all i need to know about Ebbe Altberg. he picked up right away on the main problem with so many SL things.

Absolutely! And thanks for finding that.

I've questioned LL's competence for years, but I've always thought the problems were nearer the top than the bottom. And, though I'm sure it seems I use the term "incompetence" condescendingly, I'm also the first (or maybe the second) to point out my own incompetence. If you don't step just past your competence, you're not growing. And of course, we often lack the competence to recognize our own incompetence.

Philip Rosedale has his followers, and I was certainly attracted to his vision for Second Life, but I think the reality is that a different kind of competence is required to make SL grow. Rodvik's gamer background and demeanor didn't seem like a good fit, either. But I am liking what I hear from Ebbe.

I worked for a company that gave every opportunity to succeed, and accepted a hard won failure as a learning experience. As a result we took risks, worked hard, and failed efficiently enough to be the best in our industry.

And before I go dreaming about improved web properties, I must remind myself that I don't know their true value. If, even when run well, a web property doesn't actually help, it should be closed.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Lithium is larger than LL, gets far better reviews and has an impressive customer list. I've wandered other Lithium powered forums and found them to be spam free, full featured,highly trafficked and smooth running. I've come to the conclusion that LL is the culprit here, not Lithium. And for that reason, I've no reason to think that switching forum software would yield an improvement. I'd rather see them put at least a little effort into getting their deployment of Lithium to run even half as well as I've seen elsewhere.

actually i like Lithium

and used with the Blue Goo Theme it is very pleasing to the eyes.

i just wish they'd change answers to the same format as the Forum itself.

the answers section is not easy to use and I know I am not the only one who feels it is poorly suited for its purpose

Venus Petrov wrote:

I'm still holding out for a park for raptors.  As is Daniel.

Then Ebbe would have PETEA on his back.

That's "People for the Ethical Treatment of Extinct Animals"

Not "People for the Ethical Treatment of Edible Animals".

Wooja...liketoguesswhichofthosetwoorganisationsibelongto

I wonder if Jo, Inara and the other cheerleaders are a bit miffed about Daniel being handed the scoop.

Or did they perhaps all get told and his youthful understanding of NDA and embargo is more limited?

Wooja...managethecommunicationschannelsbetterbyclosingthemdownebbe

All land owners would love tier reductions but as one who has waited a long time and is struggling to keep his 5 year old sim going in the current climate, my hopes for this aren't too high. The introduction of a half-price sim (half prims, but everything else the same) could help stop the rot of declining private region numbers, though.

Maybe it will be an announcement of the Lindens becoming more involved again in-world, and listening to community feedback after a long time.

Wooja wrote:

I wonder if Jo, Inara and the other cheerleaders are a bit miffed about Daniel being handed the scoop.

Or did they perhaps all get told and his youthful understanding of NDA and embargo is more limited?

Wooja...managethecommunicationschannelsbetterbyclosingthemdownebbe

Ah, fair youth.  Full of exuberance and joy.  It was the park that got him going.

Venus Petrov wrote:

Why focus on the forum software?  SL is a virtual WORLD.  Fix things inworld and then focus on the stuff outside. 

I'm still holding out for a park for raptors.  As is Daniel.

/me sighs

sometimes my attempts at humour fail

big time

i intentionally chose something that most of us would in my opinion consider anticlimactic.

I guess i could have chose better

like when LL announced they were doing a valentines gift.

yep, a wopping ten linden dollars

i had actually thought of saying something like that but went with the forum change

I've been putting myself in Ebbe's shoes and trying to work out what he would see as a quick win with "the community" following his instant popularity initiative of reinstating - of a kind, and inconsistent with the ToS - the JIRA, and since an announcement of "jam tomorrow" is likely to be greeted with jeers of disbelief at any promises made for developments down the line, I'm guessing that it's going to be something "concrete" in line with his "transparency" commitment (if that isn't an oxymoronic concept, to improve relations with us.

I just hope that it's not some sort of Community Liaison Panel stuffed with LL-selected yes-men who are declared to be user advocates without our approval. They tried this sort of thing during the switch to these Lithium forums, using blatantly obvious astroturfing to set up a bunch of mealy-mouthed NDA-bound LL apologists to "explain" what was going on.

I for one, don't want to be represented by a committee which includes a kid avatar whose rp is so dismal that it's impossible to ascertain when she's OOC and offering mixed messages by setting off fireworks, or by a geek whose ability to punctuate an English sentence is inversely proportional to their ability to parse a resizing script, or a transexual ESLer who thinks well-balanced means a chip on both shoulders in regards to real world and inworld politics, or a post-menopausal activist who thinks that all male avatars should be deported to a Trans-Zinda penal (see what I did there!) colony continent so they can't do it in the street and frighten the horses.

On the other hand, he might announce a new completely disnified continent and adjusted sign-up procedures so that real kids can play dress-up dolly.

Wooja...holdyourbreathforanythingerallyexciting

Daniel Voyager wrote:

I know Jo, Drax and a few others know about whats coming but its under wraps until 9am SLT today. It's exciting and big!

Less than 3 hours to go!

It's not bad news. 

So you're the only one to break the embargo. What's your middle name, Scoop?

So what is it, positive or big? A proton in the LHC still satisfies the criteria.

And from what I have seen of your oped pieces, no news is bad news.

Wooja...expectabalancedopinionfromajournalist

Perrie Juran wrote:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

actually i like Lithium

and used with the
it is very pleasing to the eyes.

i just wish they'd change answers to the same format as the Forum itself.

the answers section is not easy to use and I know I am not the only one who feels it is poorly
suited for its purpose

Yep, answers is broken. It's nearly impossible to walk someone through a problem when they can't post to their own threads.

And I think the problem is that, from the top down (until perhaps Ebbe), LL simply hasn't understood its purpose (whether that be Answers or LL itself).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3711 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.