Linden Lab Refocuses Product Offering

Perrie Juran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3729 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

"After careful consideration, Linden Lab has decided to cease development and support for dio, Versu, and Creatorverse. We’re grateful for those who took the time to experiment with these products in their early days, but ultimately we have determined that due to a number of factors, we and our customers will be best served by focusing our efforts on continuing to provide exceptional service and compelling new experiences for the users of our other products."

http://lindenlab.com/releases/linden-lab-refocuses-product-offering

Perrie Juran wrote:

"After careful consideration, Linden Lab has decided to cease development and support for dio, Versu, and Creatorverse. We’re grateful for those who took the time to experiment with these products in their early days, but ultimately we have determined that due to a number of factors, we and our customers will be best served by focusing our efforts on continuing to provide exceptional service and compelling new experiences for the users of our other products."

Ciaran Laval makes some interesting points about the discontinuation of Versu, here.

http://sl.governormarley.com/?p=3705

And of course, there's also a brilliantly insightful comment by me. :-)

ObviousAltIsObvious wrote:

if she gets it back, it will reappear. if she doesn't get it back, we can guess that LL has some other plans for the versu technology.

I hope it does reappear -- the more I read about it, the more intrigued I am.

Maybe, if the IP is released to her, or becomes open source, it could be a crowdfunded project? Or, from the sound of it, there might be university educational IT developers who might want to take it on (if they can get R&D funding for it).

(ETA: But I'd also like to see it freed from the stranglehold of iOS and the Evil Apple Empire.)

LaskyaClaren wrote:

ObviousAltIsObvious wrote:

if she gets it back, it will reappear. if she doesn't get it back, we can guess that LL has some other plans for the versu technology.

I hope it does reappear -- the more I read about it, the more intrigued I am.

Maybe, if the IP is released to her, or becomes open source, it could be a crowdfunded project? Or, from the sound of it, there might be university educational IT developers who might want to take it on (if they can get R&D funding for it).

(ETA: But I'd also like to see it freed from the stranglehold of iOS and the Evil Apple Empire.)

There was nothing stopping LL from releasing Versu on Android, other than perhaps an unattractive ROI.

Perrie Juran wrote:

"After careful consideration, Linden Lab has decided to cease development and support for dio, Versu, and Creatorverse. We’re grateful for those who took the time to experiment with these products in their early days, but ultimately we have determined that due to a number of factors,
we and our customers will be best served by focusing our efforts on continuing to provide
exceptional service
and compelling new experiences for the users of our other products."

What exceptional service? Linden Lab doesn't understand those words, and the new ceo won't make any difference to that exceptionally lousy state of affairs.

He hasn't even said 'hello' to us yet - as far as I know.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

"After careful consideration, Linden Lab has decided to cease development and support for dio, Versu, and Creatorverse. We’re grateful for those who took the time to experiment with these products in their early days, but ultimately we have determined that due to a number of factors,
we and our customers will be best served by focusing our efforts on continuing to provide
exceptional service
and compelling new experiences for the users of our other products."

What exceptional service? Linden Lab doesn't understand those words, and the new ceo won't make any difference to that exceptionally lousy state of affairs.

He hasn't even said 'hello' to us yet - as far as I know.

You may be right.  I can't find any of his posts where he used the word "hello."

Terrible, isn't it?

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Hello-from-Linden-Lab-s-New-CEO/m-p/2499571/highlight/true#M157288

Coby Foden wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Ah. But I did say "as far as I know"
:)

Where the h*ck have you been Phil ?(°. ° )?  The net is filled all over with Ebbe now.

Welcome back. :matte-motes-big-grin: :matte-motes-wink:

I heard he has been hanging out in RL lately.  You know, that place where everything is about greed, sex and money.  

Coby Foden wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Ah. But I did say "as far as I know"
:)

Where the h*ck have you been Phil ?(°. ° )?  The net is filled all over with Ebbe now.

Welcome back. :matte-motes-big-grin: :matte-motes-wink:

I haven't been anywhere, Coby. I've been having a period more-or-less away from the forum though.

LL's own systems of communication are the only places where the ceo should be communicating with users. Anywhere else doesn't count because that's communicating with the world. He can talk as much as he likes all over the web but that's not talking to the users. Judging by his very few posts here, he doesn't appear yet to be someone who wants to communiate with users, although I do admit that he has done so - extremely briefly.

I'm not suggesting that the ceo must communicate with users. I merely observed that he hadn't yet done so, and I was corrected. He certainly should make LL communicate with us - not just with the world, where masses of users will never see - on things that matter to users. I don't hold out much hope for that though. Not when he and they can't even be bothered to fix their own forum where users congregate.

When the info was revealed by Ebbe that he will be the new Linden Lab CEO he soon started to communicate with users for example in Twitter, and in SLU forums. Naturally as he was not yet CEO he could not start discussing in official Linden Lab forums in the capacity of CEO. He has talked plenty already. What he has said so far looks very promising. Only future will show how things will develop.

Surely, I agree, now as he is CEO he should concentrate more in discussing in Linden Lab forums and blogs about Second Life matters.

P.S.
Anyway, by dropping the tube off, pointing at single single source, and accepting that communication might happen via multiple channels and sources one can learn more what's going on.
:matte-motes-smile: :matte-motes-wink:
tunnel-vision.jpg

I don't mind multiple channels at all, as long as the main things are announced using LL's own forum and blog. The last guy made a habit of announcing important stuff that to users in Twitter and such, and that was just stupid. It showed a negative attitude towards actual users - especially towards paying customers. This new one has a lot to do if he wants to recover user goodwill.

Btw, I missed you :)

Surely, I agree, now as he is CEO he should concentrate more in discussing in Linden Lab forums and blogs about Second Life matters.

With the google ads and Indian whore spam. I'd be a bit embarrassed to post here, if I were CEO.

Come to think of it, I am a bit embarrassed to post here, and I'm not CEO. And I'm not easily embarrassed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3729 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.