Fitted Mesh! (Does this mean I don't have to look like a Barbie Doll anymore?)

LaskyaClaren

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

BLADEZRAVEN wrote:

this is a legitimale question, if you are naked then add giant c0...ck.... than add jeans,will the new mesh wrap itself around your stuff ??? like will blue jeans look like you are walking around with a jeans blue c0n ...dom ???   im not being silly guys this is a real question ! 

Ew.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

It's going to be complicated and confusing for non-techies like myself for a while unless merchants 
are
very clear on what it is that they are offering. I can see an avalanche of complaints coming (probably here) from people who've bought what they assumed was fitted mesh, but which turns out not to be.

They 
do
need to establish a clear nomenclature, or all hell will break loose, I fear.

It sure is going to be complicated and not just for non-techies like yourself.  The term "fitted mesh" is far too generically descriptive to be able to sort out in a search.  If LL were smart, they'd come up with an official, specific, non-descriptive term to use for it, much like what was done by the person who came up with the term "liquid mesh".  Hell, since LL has claimed unlimited license to use their customer's creations as they choose, they could just usurp the term "liquid mesh" and use that.

Of course, considering that fact that they weren't smart enough to even imagine that this might be something their customers would want until years after they implemented rigged mesh, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

...Dres

It certainly is going to be a problem, I suspect, and very much a case of "buyer beware."

I'm really not big on "liquid mesh" myself, in any case: it sounds too much like a cheesy effect from The Matrix. Also too technical and geeky really.

But I suppose "Clothes with Lots of Tiny Triangles that Fit Really Well" is a bit of a mouthful.

Perrie Juran wrote:

ObviousAltIsObvious wrote:

aw, that's a good thing for some of us! it lets us mix and match fitted mesh clothes with "plain old rigged" body parts, and only the invisible LL body has to suffer from the distortions.

One thing I am looking forward to and hope is a very positive effect will be a reduced need for Alphas.

Probably one of the things I have disliked most about mesh has been see through waist lines and collars.

Fitted mesh won't eliminate the need for alphas (the "deformer" doesn't either, by the way.) The problem is the original avatar mesh itself, which has huge polygons and is badly weighted and will stick through anything that doesn't slavishly follow all its many flaws.

The way I see it, the real revolution here isn't in the clothes as much as what it can do for bodies themselves. Fitted mesh will allow mesh replacement bodies to follow the existing sliders and be shaped to the same body types as the current mesh, but can be smoother and better weighted. In turn, clothing can be weighted to follow these new body meshes and will follow them much better than they ever could follow the old mesh, perhaps actually eliminating the need for alphas.

People are already replacing their hands, feet, butts and boobs with mesh - "fitted mesh" will mean that you can replace your entire body from the neck down and still look basically the same as you do now. I expect that we'll soon see body replacements that will become de facto standards like Slink feet and Lola's Tango breasts are now.

Kristin Burner wrote:

mewp :matte-motes-bashful-cute:

Inventory reset yay
:)

Start buying again yay

You can model a mesh outfit, draw fantastic textures, but cannot make an alpha if your life depended on it yay

I guess i have to use the main viewer though,  -yay

:-D

At a guess, I'd say Firestorm will be updated pretty quickly. In fact, I'd be unsurprised to learn that they've been working with LL all along to prepare their viewer for the new code.

I suspect that the "great news" Jessica mentions below is with regard to fitted mesh:

Our next Q&A meeting with our userbase was originally scheduled for tomorrow, February 8th; however, we are going to postpone that by one more week. We are getting much closer to a release but still have a few unsolidified decisions yet to be made that would lead to lots of “We might do this… or we might do that” answers. I expect we will have more solid info by the 15th for you along with some great news!

So our next Q&A will be Saturday, February 15th, at 4PM SLT. We hope to see lots of you there—exciting things are coming!

Jessica Lyon

Project Manager

The Phoenix Firestorm Project, Inc

http://www.firestormviewer.org/

LaskyaClaren wrote:

At a guess, I'd say Firestorm will be updated pretty quickly. In fact, I'd be unsurprised to learn that they've been working with LL all along to prepare their viewer for the new code.

According to Dari Caldwell, who certainly knows about mesh, converting any viewer so the user can fully benefit from wearing liquid mesh is simply a matter of copying two files over.   Anyone can do it, apparently (though it might break the firestorm bridge).   See Dari's post at SLU for more details.

LaskyaClaren wrote:

I suspect that the "great news" Jessica mentions below is with regard to fitted mesh:

Our next Q&A meeting with our userbase was originally scheduled for tomorrow, February 8th; however, we are going to postpone that by one more week. We are getting much closer to a release but still have a few unsolidified decisions yet to be made that would lead to lots of “We might do this… or we might do that” answers. I expect we will have more solid info by the 15th for you along with some great news!

So our next Q&A will be Saturday, February 15th, at 4PM SLT. We hope to see lots of you there—exciting things are coming!

Jessica Lyon

Project Manager

The Phoenix Firestorm Project, Inc

Hell, them just fixing the SLurl bug in the next release is great news in itself.

...Dres

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Oh. Is that why I have to manually copy and paste the slurls into the viewer address bar in Firestorm?

I've been wondering why that wasn't working. I assumed I'd set slurls to the wrong application by mistake.

That most certainly is why.  There's a fix for it here... link.  At first, I used the proxy application, which is linked to on that page, but I eventually got it working without having to use that.  But don't ask me how... lol.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Oh. Is that why I have to manually copy and paste the slurls into the viewer address bar in Firestorm?

I've been wondering why that wasn't working. I assumed I'd set slurls to the wrong application by mistake.

That most certainly is why.  There's a fix for it here...
.  At first, I used the proxy application, which is linked to on that page, but I eventually got it working without having to use that.  But don't ask me how... lol.

...Dres

OMG, you've got to be joking. 

So I have a choice between deciphering that, or sticking with Cntrl+C and Cntrl+V?

I'm not a complete techno-idiot, but life's just too short. :-)

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

That most certainly is why.  There's a fix for it here...
.  At first, I used the proxy application, which is linked to on that page, but I eventually got it working without having to use that.  But don't ask me how... lol.

...Dres

OMG, you've got to be joking. 

So I have a choice between deciphering that, or sticking with Cntrl+C and Cntrl+V?

I'm not a complete techno-idiot, but life's just too short. :-)

It's wasn't that hard to figure out and, for me, it was worth the effort not to have to deal with copying and pasting them all the time.  I'm just glad my sister hasn't updated to the beta, otherwise I'd have to do it all over again for her... once was enough.

...Dres

Sassy Romano wrote:

You won't be able to mix and match if you also want to use physics for boobs and bum. The fitted mesh would bounce and keep poking through the standard mesh.

avatar bodies without collision bone rigging don't use avatar physics anyway, so this is not an issue. simply don't wear avatar physics, as before.

It will be an issue if someone uses the normal avatar WITH physics, a collision rigged item for bouncing boobs and a non collision rigged item at the same time.

You can't have both, either you have everything that bounces or nothing that bounces regardless whether it's a replacement avatar body or not.

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

Sassy Romano wrote:

Right, now search for "mesh shirt" and see what you get.  You'll get anything with "shirt"  and anything with "mesh".  Search is so utterly crap that it's next to meaningless.

You can search "mesh AND shirt". (no quotation marks)

You could do that, but it doen't do anything. You always get AND by default and there is no OR search. Try a search on mesh shirt, shirt mesh, then mesh AND shirt.  Exact same result count. The only boolean operator keyword that does anything is NOT.

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

The term "fitted mesh" is far too generically descriptive to be able to sort out in a search.  If LL were smart, they'd come up with an official, specific, non-descriptive term to use for it, much like what was done by the person who came up with the term "liquid mesh".

As they are are not able to make search working better for multiword descriptions then instead of using "Fitted mesh" they should have used just one word. Such as:

CBMesh (short for: Collision Bone Mesh)

.. for example. :matte-motes-big-grin:

That would bave made matters clear; and easy to search for.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

One thing I am looking forward to and hope is a very positive effect will be a reduced need for Alphas.

Probably one of the things I have disliked most about mesh has been see through waist lines and collars.

Fitted mesh won't eliminate the need for alphas (the "deformer" doesn't either, by the way.) The problem is the original avatar mesh itself, which has huge polygons and is badly weighted and will stick through anything that doesn't slavishly follow all its many flaws.

Indeed, there is still need for alpha masks. Especially so with long pants and shorts. Avatar crotch is very terrible upside down sharp V-shaped canyon. Human crotch is not like that at all. If one wants to to create nice looking crotch to the pants then the pants crotch need to be wider than the avatar crotch is. The result is that avatar mesh will poke through the pants, thus alpha mask is needed.

So, now as we have the collision bone mesh, the next step is that we need new anatomically correct default avatar mesh - to aid in getting rid of the very much disliked alpha masks. :matte-motes-big-grin: :smileyhappy:

The present development that the bad avatar mesh is gradually covered with all kinds mesh body add-ons I don't see a good road at all. More efficient, less laggy way would be good default avatar mesh, male and female, which would eliminate the need for all those add-ons. Then the designers could concentrate in making awesome clothes instead of being in prosthetic business.

:matte-motes-smile:

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

aw, that's a good thing for some of us! it lets us mix and match fitted mesh clothes with "plain old rigged" body parts, and only the invisible LL body has to suffer from the distortions.

The way I see it, the real revolution here isn't in the clothes as much as what it can do for bodies themselves. Fitted mesh will allow mesh replacement bodies to follow the existing sliders and be shaped to the same body types as the current mesh, but can be smoother and better weighted. In turn, clothing can be weighted to follow these new body meshes and will follow them much better than they ever could follow the old mesh, perhaps actually eliminating the need for alphas.

People are already replacing their hands, feet, butts and boobs with mesh - "fitted mesh" will mean that you can replace your entire body from the neck down and still look basically the same as you do now. I expect that we'll soon see body replacements that will become de facto standards like Slink feet and Lola's Tango breasts are now.

What I am going by is this statement,

"Neither approach completely eliminates the occasional need for an alpha clothing layer to prevent small parts of the avatar skin from appearing through garments,"

in the now edited original announcement.

Maybe the statement is misleading, but up till now the need for an Alpha has been way more than "occasional"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.