Fitted Mesh! (Does this mean I don't have to look like a Barbie Doll anymore?)

LaskyaClaren

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

From the post Perrie pointed to:

"
At this time, 
the new skeleton should be considered provisional and subject to change; we do not yet recommend selling or buying garments rigged to it
. Since we may find reasons to improve it during this testing process, and any change to the collision bones will likely break garments rigged before the change, we want to make sure that we have a set of bones that we can all live with into the indefinite future before it is widely used."

That's dated 5 February.

Does the new announcement mean that the new skeleton is no longer provisional, and that it is safe to create and or purchase new mesh products based on it?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LaskyaClaren wrote:

From the post Perrie pointed to:
"
At this time, 
the new skeleton should be considered provisional and subject to change; we do not yet recommend selling or buying garments rigged to it
. Since we may find reasons to improve it during this testing process, and any change to the collision bones will likely break garments rigged before the change, we want to make sure that we have a set of bones that we can all live with into the indefinite future before it is widely used."

That's dated 5 February.

Does the new announcement mean that the new skeleton is no longer provisional, and that it is safe to create and or purchase new mesh products based on it?

Yes, the skeleton's no longer provisional - that part of the quote was actually back from November 2013 when the project initially went into public development.

We could do away with so much of this smoke and mirrors nonsense if the Lab would simply focus on the most basic part of the user experience; the avatar itself. The low poly avatar is the one thing that hasn't been touched in the entire existence of SL and it BADLY needs to be updated. I understand that drastic changes could break a lot of existing content but, wouldn't it at least be possible to add a few polys in strategic problem areas (like the crotch, elbow joint, etc.)? Would taking an intermediate step like this mitigate a lot of problems while not breaking existing content?

I really think that updating the base avatar should be a high priority for the devs.

Deej Kasshiki wrote:

We could do away with so much of this smoke and mirrors nonsense if the Lab would simply focus on the most basic part of the user experience; the avatar itself. The low poly avatar is the one thing that hasn't been touched in the entire existence of SL and it BADLY needs to be updated. I understand that drastic changes could break a lot of existing content but, wouldn't it at least be possible to add a few polys in strategic problem areas (like the crotch, elbow joint, etc.)? Would taking an intermediate step like this mitigate a lot of problems while not breaking existing content?

I really think that updating the base avatar should be a high priority for the devs.

I've searched for it and have not been able to find it but at least one other user who PM'd me remembers it, but just around the time of the original Blog News a Certain_Linden ( ;) ) had stated they were going to be looking at not just Mesh & Bones but the Avatar itself.  At the time as my memory serves me, Certain_Linden said, "It may not be as simple as people think." (I may be paraphrasing a little).

So I was really surprised at how fast this happened.  We are left with the impression that the cart is again before the horse.

Maybe there is something more planned for down the road but right now all I'm hearing is silence.

You may be thinking of STORM-1800:  The vertex weights of the default character mesh could be better.

Oz Linden commented there, on 17 December last year, 

We've decided not to delay the release of Fitted Mesh for this, so whatever happens it won't be imminent.

Since this does not modify the skeleton, the two do not have to be linked. After the New Year, we will take another look at when/whether we can incorporate these fixes.

There is more to this than meets the eye. If we can do this, or something else that solves the same problems, we will try to do so. Please refrain from just emoting here... we get it that you care, but constant posts about it really don't help that happen at all.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

You may be thinking of

Oz Linden commented there, on

We've decided not to delay the release of Fitted Mesh for this, so whatever happens it won't be imminent.

Since this does not modify the skeleton, the two do not have to be linked. After the New Year, we will take another look at when/whether we can incorporate these fixes.

There is more to this than meets the eye. If we can do this, or something else that solves the same problems, we will try to do so. Please refrain from just emoting here... we get it that you care, but constant posts about it really don't help that happen at all.

Thank you very much Innula.  That was driving me crazy.  I've been accused of hallucinating things at times but I was certain this wasn't one of them.  ;)

You're an angel!

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Apparently, it's here!

How long before I can go shopping????

(Oh, and thank god I can now "Jiggle and Bounce." Keeping me up nights, that one was.)

This is going to be fun. 
:)

I typed "fitted mesh" into the search field in the MP and under apparel it shows 13,355 items.

Really, I'm surprised that they got this done so fast.  Torley's video did look pretty good. 

That's impressive, Innula's caveat notwithstanding. I assumed it would be at least a week or two before the first items would be rolled out. But, obviously, LL was working in consultation with some existing designers.

Redgrave and Red Poly will be doing pretty well for themselves over the next few weeks, I imagine. :-)

That does seem odd though that only a certain few have it already. makes you wonder. 

Tarina Sewell wrote:

That does seem odd though that only a certain few have it already. makes you wonder. 

Not at all, Avastar plug in for Blender has had the additional bones since about the first day that this was announced.  Gaia Clary did an excellent job of this and continuing to support it.

Anyone using that or other tools has had the ability to create items since back then.  Some have chosen NOT to, prefering to wait until things stabilise.

Just to point out that once again, until everyone is on the same skeleton, fitted mesh looks utterly distorted on viewers that don't have the same skeleton.  I know people say "I dont care what I look like to others as long as I look ok to me" and that's absolutely fine too, just know that it's right back to how it was when people were wearing skirts on secondary attachment points in Emerald that would appear to be floating off to their avatar or up around odd attachment places.

Here's to hoping that TPV's get on the case quickly although I did follow Darrien Caldwell's suggestion of copying across the two files from LL's viewer to Firestorm and that works fine.

Tarina Sewell wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Redgrave and Red Poly will be doing pretty well for themselves over the next few weeks, I imagine. :-)

It was, I think, Redgrave and Red Poly who initially developed the technique about 18 months ago and offered it as an alternative to Qarl's deformer, which was getting increasinly bogged down in development.      As Sassy says, there's never been any secret about how to do it, but obviously the technique's inventors are going to have a head start on everyone else (and deserve something, to my mind, for having come up with a working prototype in the first place).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.