Avatar looks different for me than to others

Tabitha1991

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4019 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I'm new in SL, using Firestorm 4.4.1 and a skin/shape a friend gave me.

After one day I started to wonder why everyone said I look good, while I thought my avatar looks ugly.
I thought they are making jokes, but after a while I realized they did not.
So I asked them for a Screenshot and realized that they seem to see something different than I do.

To the upper is what I see, at the bottom are Screenshots from my friends.
What can be the reason for that?
I only see the bottom face, when I go into body edit mode, when I leave the upper face appears again.

Thanks, Tabitha

Tabitha1991 wrote:

After one day I started to wonder why everyone said I look good, while I thought my avatar looks ugly.

So I asked them for a Screenshot and realized that they seem to see something different than I do.

I only see the bottom face, when I go into body edit mode, when I leave the upper face appears again.

Thanks, Tabitha

As they say in the film making industry, "Lights, camera, action, different computer/viewer settings............"

Others will probably come by and suggest things to help improve what you see.  But that does answer your basic question.

Tabitha1991 wrote:

Thanks, Tabitha

Hi Tabitha, Welcome to the forums:

Your friends are right, you've got a pretty avatar!

Ask them what Windlight settings they're using and what their graphics settings are. That's the most likely cause for the differences we're seeing.

If you are wearing a facelight, there's the potential that your local lights setting may be different than for those viewing you. If you have local lights turned off, you'll not see your own face illuminated by your facelight.

A windlight setting in which the Ambient light is significantly lighter than the Sun/Moon light will help your view to be closer to what your friends see. It eliminates much of the nasty shadows and negates the need to wear a facelight.

World > Environment Editor > Sky Presets > New Preset.

Use the coloured boxes labelled S/M Colr and Ambient, and also the time-of-day slider. When you're happy with it, give your new preset a name, check the box at the bottom that says "Make this preset my new sky setting" and hit Save.

Yeah, that's kinda new feature in Appearence Mode, the viewer shines a light on you. At least in Singularity it does.

Orca Flotta wrote:

Yeah, that's kinda new feature in Appearence Mode, the viewer shines a light on you. At least in Singularity it does.

Ugh I hate that. The light IS SO DAMN BRIGHT when editing your shape on firestorm I can't hardly tell what it looks like. :/ it's terrible.

Madeline Blackbart wrote:

Orca Flotta wrote:

Ugh I hate that. The light IS SO DAMN BRIGHT when editing your shape on firestorm I can't hardly tell what it looks like.
:/
it's terrible.

Switch it off then.

(Preferences / Move&View / View)

Nova Convair wrote:

Madeline Blackbart wrote:

Orca Flotta wrote:

Ugh I hate that. The light IS SO DAMN BRIGHT when editing your shape on firestorm I can't hardly tell what it looks like.
:/
it's terrible.

Switch it off then.

(Preferences / Move&View / View)

I actually did not realize that was an option. thanks for the tip

Thanks to all, with your help I was able to solve the problem :smileyhappy:

Disabling (removing the checkmark) basic shaders solved 70%.
The other 30% were caused by unfavorable light conditions (face in full sunlight).

Here is the result:

Left disabled basic shaders, face not in full sunlight.
Right with basic shaders enabled, face in full sunlight.

Thanks,

Tabitha

Tabitha1991 wrote:

Disabling (removing the checkmark) basic shaders solved 70%.

Just be aware that by disabling basic shaders you are disabling a lot of other rendering features too. Therefore you are not seeing all the beauty what SL is capable of showing.

Here is a sample how for example the water looks with basic shaders turned off. Comparison shot under it with showing how the same scene looks with basic shaders on (with some other settings on too).

Shaders-sample.jpg

By the way, avatars will look nice with all the rendering features on (as on the second picture above).

It's just a matter of the lighting how it falls on the avatar. Some lighting condition are soft, some are harsh. Just like in real life.

Turning basic shaders off definitely is not the right solution.

Why don't you just play a bit with windlightsettings and environmentoptions instead of getting rid off basic shaders?

But if you want it plain dark all the time I suggest a different hair, yours doesn't adopt to light at all.

Syo Emerald wrote:

Why don't you just play a bit with windlightsettings and environmentoptions instead of getting rid off basic shaders?

But if you want it plain dark all the time I suggest a different hair, yours doesn't adopt to light at all.

Indeed, turning off basic shaders is the worst thing one can do - unless one specifically wants to view a very cartoonish world. There are lots of different Windlight options in which avatars will look very good.

The OP's hair appears to be full bright. It will shine like a beacon at night. Some designers use that (very bad option) to overcome the alpha sorting issue, which is somewhat more difficult to overcome in light hairs than in dark hairs.

Thanks again for all the advice.

I now understand that basic shaders are important for general rendering quality, that was not clear to me before. It seems I was too fixated on the avatar quality and only noticed that activating basic shaders draws hard shadows and lights on the face in some situations.

I played a bit with the other options you mentioned (windlight, environment, hair), and it already got better. :matte-motes-smile:

Tabitha

Shelby Silverspar wrote:

The only difference in the photos below is windlight settings. Left side is the Firestorm pre-set 'Places Paris,' while the ones on the right are the SL default lighting.

windlight vs non_windlight.jpg

Something I've found about this subject is interesting. While running the preferences below, I only get the effects of sunlight outside of an enclosed space while in the past I got the same effect outside or inside.

I'm not sure how new that is but I love it. I may just have to make a video of it :matte-motes-wink:

Settings.png

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

Something I've found about this subject is interesting. While running the preferences below, I only get the effects of sunlight outside of an enclosed space while in the past I got the same effect outside or inside.

I'm not sure how new that is but I love it. I may just have to make a video of it :matte-motes-wink:

Settings.png

It's the shadows on which does it. It will block the sun shining through objects. Which is cool. :matte-motes-smile:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4019 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.