Could Linden have done waaaaay more for SL10b?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Am i missing something? I'm walking around SL10b looking at showcases of residents art, and I don't see one thing that's NEW, or even amazing.  I'm sorry but you'd think they would gather some of the best graphic designers in the industry (not just on SL) and have them create mesmerizing, inspiring work.  I see the same old prims, sculpts, even mesh.  sad.  Also, the promo for this was disgraceful as well.  Don't flame me please, it's just my opinion.

The lab doesn't seek out participants for these events. The artists, merchants, creators, etc... seek out the lab.

While it would be nice for some to see the best and the brightest, I don't always think it necessary. Sometimes it's nice to showcase the people who, in their own right, are also amazing creators, even if we may not like every bit of what they do or may not even know who they are. Everyone has different tastes and likes. What you find mediocre I might find fabulous. What you find amazing, I might find drab. All a matter of opinion. I, personally, don't believe these events ought to showcase people outside of sl, that would be dumb. How can one showcase a virtual world and all its potential, if the people actually in that virtual world aren't the ones bringing the content to the viewer's eyes? It doesn't make sense to bring outsiders in,like that. I'm pretty sure on that we agree which is why the pictures you see on the main page of the site are nearly always done by residents. Aside from that, my personal opinion on these events is that they aren't intended to showcase the best. They are intended to show, celebrate, enjoy a day wandering about finding new places you've never been and might like to check out. That's exactly what they do. People bring themselves to the events. If anything it's not advertising for sl, it's advertising for the various content creators that take part. In that right, it's actually pretty successful. You'd have to actually ask each individual creator how it helps them though. I probably have a different view on what these birthday events ought to be.

I am actually quite glad the latest and greatest trends and fads aren't always present at every freakin' event. Most of them are hideous to me. Just my opinion of course, we've all got them. I don't care about the creator making skins and shapes that look anorexic, the newest modeling agency, brand new mesh feet that will cost your first born, homes most residents in sl likely can't afford, some inworld magazine, the biggest name brands one can find in sl. None of that is appealing to me at events like this. I like seeing the creator I've never met before. I like seeing the products that, while maybe not spectacular, are unique, or at least new to me. Maybe the guy who owns that hole in the wall business is worth checking out. Maybe the itty bitty corner store that doesn't have a sim wide lag fest, might just have clothes I find more appealing. Maybe I'll find a new critter I've not yet seen. Maybe I'll find a group that sounds interesting. Maybe I'll find nothing at all I like and will have wasted my entire day wandering around. You just never know. I am a bit of an odd duck, though.

The lab really doesn't put nearly as much effort into these events as the people themselves do. It's been this way for quite a while, it's not new. The lab is also notoriously terrible at advertising. It's definitely not their strong suit. I wouldn't, and don't, expect that to change.

Miko Kuramoto wrote:

Am i missing something? I'm walking around SL10b looking at showcases of residents art, and I don't see one thing that's NEW, or even amazing.  I'm sorry but you'd think they would gather some of the best graphic designers in the industry (not just on SL) and have them create mesmerizing, inspiring work.  I see the same old prims, sculpts, even mesh.  sad.  Also, the promo for this was disgraceful as well.  Don't flame me please, it's just my opinion.

The director of a middle school band could bring in the New York Philharmonic to play the annual concert instead of actually having the students play. The music would almost certainly be better, assuming that the NYPO would rise to the occasion and not phone it in.

But if you're going to do that, why have the kids be in band at all?

ImaTest wrote:

The lab doesn't seek out participants for these events. The artists, merchants, creators, etc... seek out the lab.

Correct me if I am wrong but The Lab has nothing to do with this event at all.

It is being run by and hosted by Residents.

As far as I have seen, LL has been virtually silent regarding the 10th Anniv.

Perrie Juran wrote:

ImaTest wrote:

Not entirely. They provide the land, or at least used to, I'm not sure on this year's event(I know, big contribution). They do advertise it, just not a ton. They also used to participate a bit more than they do now. It's still not an event put on by the lab for the residents. It's an event by residents, for residents. The lab is involved, but very minimally.

ImaTest wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

ImaTest wrote:

Not entirely. They provide the land, or at least used to, I'm not sure on this year's event(I know, big contribution). They do advertise it, just not a ton. They also used to participate a bit more than they do now. It's still not an event put on by the lab for the residents. It's an event by residents, for residents. The lab is involved, but very minimally.

As I recall for SL9B the land was donated by One or Several Estates.  LL did connect the SIMs.

Partly because I was involved with it I paid a lot more attention to it last year.

I haven't been following it at all so far this year.

Right now I am talking from memory and my memory about some things could be faulty.  I don't consider it worth my time right now to go back and document. 

At the time of the announcement that they would not be doing an SL9B event, many people had the impression from what they said that for SL10B they were going to do something BIG. 

This has obviously so far proved to be a very wrong assumption.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Right now I am talking from memory and my memory about some things could be faulty.  I don't consider it worth my time right now to go back and document. 

At the time of the announcement that they would not be doing an SL9B event, many people had the impression from what they said that for SL10B they were going to do something BIG. 

This has obviously so far proved to be a very wrong assumption.

I think SL9B is when LL pretty much checked out of doing much except providing the land for the celebrations, which was a radical change from the past birthdays.  I recall a lot of disappointment when 9B was announced that LL wasn't even "attending their own party" as I saw one poster state.

The only birthday I attended was SL5B and that was the year LL wouldn't provide hosting for anything connected with child avatars; however, the child AV community got together and did their own thing for SL5B which turned out to be, imo, one of the best areas of the celebration.

Storm & Cz at SL5B.jpg

ETA: This wasn't the child avatar area...just the first photo of SL5B I came across on my PC.

Its the same with Adult content this year, it has been exluded. So the owners of a popular adult estate have created their own SL10B. IMO excluding adult content is denying that there is an elephant in the room.

Last year we had a small parcel at SL9B it had no sex furniture, nothing vulgar, it had a map with teleporters of the estate and helpers who answered questions people had about adult content. Hardly offensive to anyone and there were no reportable incidents to my knowledge.

Leia36 wrote:

Its the same with Adult content this year, it has been exluded. So the owners of a popular adult estate have created their own SL10B. IMO excluding adult content is denying that there is an elephant in the room.

LL as standard. SL relies heavily on adult content, but LL don't know how to admit this to SilVal pals, so it's swept under the rug at formal occaisions. Meanwhile (to quote from another post) ~

Not everybody in SL is an adult, nor are all adults in SL interested in "adult content".

Is just silly. Minors are blocked via sim rating, and replace 'adult content' above with sailing, bears or birthday cake. Doesn't matter about interest not being exactly 100%, point is it's a big community of people, and those people helped SL get this far. Accepting this fact means little, but denying it means a lot.

---

I've never been to an SL*B, it doesn't interest me all that much. Parties are great, art is great, but I've never had confidence in the maths. LL involvement  == Good Times?

I did however get to spend a couple of hours over the weekend at SL10A (the Adult bit), and it looked pretty well presented, even though I'm generally not too keen on the FC. I didn't see any giant stripper legs, but I did get chased down by a giant spider. Going solo is a great idea, things seemed casual and people were talkative/friendly. I sure hope they do it again next year.

i thought the last main year that LL was really involved with the SLB's was the no nipple  year lol

whenever that was..i think the old forums were up still then..

they used to throw the event but i believe after the no nipple year it was thrown by users..

Miko Kuramoto wrote:

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy my exhibit.

It's unfortunate that none of the 400 other exhibits met your expectations.

We're looking forward to next year when you can show us all how to do it right.

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Not everybody in SL is an adult, nor are all adults in SL interested in "adult content".

True. But, adult sims make up more than 50% of the sims on the grid. Adult content is one of the driving economic forces on the grid.  Adult communities spend money that help keep the shops, designers and creator alive. 

Yet, when looking over the lists of groups that are listed on the SL10B website, I don't see any that are from "adult" communities.  There are scores of Art, and mutiple LBGT, multiple "kids", exhibits, yet each of these demographics is a much smaller percent of the SL grid population.  Each of the upper volunteer staff members also has their own exhibit.  There's also a big exhibit by a mainland community, that again, is actually only a small percent of the SL population. 

The whole thing is very slanted towards a certain type of crowd, and those they approve of. 

Adult content sims and communities can also make PG content, and could have done so for the SL10B.  I still need to sift through all the names of the lead builders on the SL10B website, for the exhibits listed, but I'm guessing there's either no, or very few adult sim/communities in the lineup. 

Leia36 wrote:

Leanne, can you give me some more info on this?   I haven't heard of any adult sims doing this.

Also, read through the post that Stellar Starship did here: 

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion/Any-adult-communities-accepted-for-exhibiting-displaying/td-p/2024091

(Stellar's my alt) 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.