Could Linden have done waaaaay more for SL10b?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Leia36 wrote:

Last year we had a small parcel at SL9B it had no sex furniture, nothing vulgar, it had a map with teleporters of the estate and helpers who answered questions people had about adult content. Hardly offensive to anyone and there were no reportable incidents to my knowledge.

Let me check as to what you're saying?  Last year the adult communtiey what you're involved with was at SL9B, but this year they are not?  If so, is the reason that they are not at SL10B is that they were not selected to be exhibitors? 

Because, I find it very odd that in the weeks before the selection process closed, the SLB Community group inworld put out multiple calls fore more Art participants, yet it looks like adult communities are cut out.  So, that tells me that perhaps the people doing the selection process had a preconceived idea of what was going to make the cut?

Qie Niangoa:  

my apologies - as i stated a few posts down from my original, knowing now that the SL10b is resident produced and not by LL, it puts my feelings into a different, better perspective of the event. A friend of mine gave me an LM to Country Club where the arcade gacha sim is and i had a great time and i plan on visiting more.

I still think that after 10 years of us, the residents, keeping LL in business,  they could've had a hand in it a little more. 

Fair enough.

Starting with SL5B, I've had some small involvement with each of the birthday celebrations. Back when the Lab was directly involved, ti was fun seeing what they themselves put together for exhibits and infrastructure, and it was interesting to hear what they said at keynotes.

I have to say, though, Lab involvement didn't mean every keynote was smart (eg, Mitch Kapor's infamous "pioneers" vs "settlers" speech), and not everything ran smoothly. The very fact that the Lab was nominally in charge led to lots of drama.

As to quality, it has always been a mixed bag. I think that's kind of the nature of user-generated content: more YouTube, less 20th Century Fox.

Not "quality" exactly, but FWIW, every year a few exhibits use the newest technology--not always successfully. I remember the year of MoaP (aka "Shared Media") that most people couldn't see because they weren't using the Linden viewer or didn't have media turned on--reasons that pretty much nobody uses MoaP anymore. This year, if you happen to be using the Materials beta viewer, you'll see a very few exhibits experimenting with specular- and normalmaps, and with thresholded alpha masking. Probably 95% of attendees won't see any of that.

Miko Kuramoto wrote:

Am i missing something? I'm walking around SL10b looking at showcases of residents art, and I don't see one thing that's NEW, or even amazing.  I'm sorry but you'd think they would gather some of the best graphic designers in the industry (not just on SL) and have them create mesmerizing, inspiring work.  I see the same old prims, sculpts, even mesh.  sad.  Also, the promo for this was disgraceful as well.  Don't flame me please, it's just my opinion.

I saw promotions for SL10B all over the place, including on Facebook. It was no more and no less than I would have expected from Linden Lab. If they had been loudly tooting their own horn taking credit for what they had created, instead of leaving it up to the residents who really created and continue to add more to Second Life each day, they would be heavily criticised.

A nice touch, I thought, was that LL tacked one of the Corn Field replica sims onto the cluster of SL10B sims.  The original Corn Field sim is a place of legend, from before my own time (November 2007).

Even from photos uploaded to various photo sharing websites and blogs, I can see how much progress has been made even during the five or so short years that I've been a resident in Second Life, but I have felt very reassured to see many of the old-style stuff being displayed yet again. (The Mona Lisa will never go out of style, so why should I be unhappy to see the same old sculpts, prim, or even mesh.)

For me, SL10B is what it is, a celebration, a commemoration, a getting together of all that has gone before so far.  The participants were most excited when their application to be an exhibitor was accepted, and have put their all into what they've created. As usual, Linden Lab build the space, and its up to the residents to decorate it as we see fit. Nothing more and nothing less.

Hi Celeste

Yes last year at SL9B the freedom continent had a small parcel, we had volunteers who gave of their time to educate people about adult content in SL. We were not alone either, I remember a few Gorean sims also had exhibits. It was IMO a successful undertaking and we attracted new people. Certain people have a gross misunderstanding of what happens on adult sims, and that was the point of the exhibit last year, education. 

I was not party to the application for SL10B and I have no idea how the process works. I did however receive this message (outside of SL)

FREEDOM CONTINENT NOT REPRESENTED AT SLB10 - I have no idea what is happening, but our application to be represented at the 10th Birthday of SecondLife has been DECLINED. So what do we do? We can scream and protest - sulk and grumble or.....  MAKE OUR OWN DARN SLB 10 EXHIBIT!  So CALLING ALL THAT CAN and WANT TO HELP!. Send me a notecard with the name "SLB10 ADULT". This is a great opportunity to show what adult SL stands for. Please respond!

The SLB10 -A is situated on the Passion Bay sim. It is friendly and fun and open to everyone over 18. It showcases the freedom continent and the different and diverse interests that are catered for on the continent.

Leia36 wrote:

Hi Celeste

Yes last year at SL9B the freedom continent had a small parcel, we had volunteers who gave of their time to educate people about adult content in SL. We were not alone either, I remember a few Gorean sims also had exhibits. It was IMO a successful undertaking and we attracted new people. Certain people have a gross misunderstanding of what happens on adult sims, and that was the point of the exhibit last year, education. 

I was not party to the application for SL10B and I have no idea how the process works. I did however receive this message (outside of SL)

FREEDOM CONTINENT NOT REPRESENTED AT SLB10 - I have no idea what is happening, but our application to be represented at the 10th Birthday of SecondLife has been DECLINED. So what do we do? We can scream and protest - sulk and grumble or.....  MAKE OUR OWN DARN SLB 10 EXHIBIT!  So CALLING ALL THAT CAN and WANT TO HELP!. Send me a notecard with the name "SLB10 ADULT". This is a great opportunity to show what adult SL stands for. Please respond!

The SLB10 -A is situated on the Passion Bay sim. It is friendly and fun and open to everyone over 18. It showcases the freedom continent and the different and diverse interests that are catered for on the continent.

Thanks Leanne, for that information.  If you get the time, read through these two threads and make note of  Stellar Starship's comments and posts:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/We-re-in-SL10B/td-p/2021123

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion/Any-adult-communities-accepted-for-exhibiting-displaying/td-p/2024091

Out on the grid, I'm right next door to the Passion Bay sim (well over and up) so will pop in there to take a look.  I'll contact you inworld, too, as I have some questions.  Thanks!

I read through the threads and replied, I find that some adult communities were actually accepted puzzeling, but at the same time we are managing fine with the work arounds we have worked out. 

*smiles.. We have a place on the continent as well, I sometimes help new people at the Central Hub. Sure I will be on soon IMs are always welcome :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.