Please help a student out! :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

minjeungkim wrote:

Hi guys! :matte-motes-sunglasses-1:

I'm doing a research on online identities and need your help!

It would be greatly appreciated if you can fill out a short survey!

Thank you in advance :matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

i would think about it..but i'm not big on clicking on links that are covered up..

there are just too many bots with too many different tricks that show up in the forums trying to lure people to their sites..

i'm not saying you are a bot..i'm just saying..i don't trust so easily anymore to be clicking on links i can't see that are put up from new accounts....

Took the survey. All throughout it feels like the OP is missing the point of Second Life alltogether and thinks Second Life is here to re-create your first life, including your avatar being as much of a carbon copy as yourself as possible.

Hopefully the survey results will clear that up for him/her.

I looked at the survey but didn't fill it out. I didn't get the sense that the OP thinks SL is here to re-create first life though. In exploring virtual identities, it seems a natural question to ask; How much is your virtual self like your RL self? However, the reason I didn't fill it out was because I didn't think the questions were worded in a way that was particularly clear. Questions along the lines of whether one's avatar is a representation of oneself  ... well, how about defining self, for one thing? Because without a definition of it, it seems the only answer that makes much sense would be yes.

I sense there is a lack of experiance with making and structuring surveys.

Example:

If your avatar is not human, does your avatar represent you in anyway?

- Person selects "no"

But the next question must be answered to complete and submit the survey:

What are the parts that represent yourself?

If I already answered all questions above with "My avatar doesn't look like me" then this question is senseless and should have been able to be left blank. Also some questions should me more specific, because in case of identity, its somewhat unlcear if its about look or about character. Both can be identic to the real person, but could also be totally different (in case of roleplay for example).

I already stumbled at the second question: Ethnicity. African-American isn't an ethnicity at all. Not even African is, since there are many many different people throughout the continent. Soft brown in the south, dark black in the cental parts and more like Semitic in the northern parts and in Arabia. And now calling African-AMERICAN an ethnicity is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Now imagine I was a black woman from Norway, Germany or France, would I tick African-American as my ethnicity? No, I'd be insulted!

As it so happens I'm caucasian/semitic **bleep**. Couldn't find neither nor in the list. Okay then, tick white and go on.

Does your avatar represent who you are? Why only yes/no options? I guess most of us have avies that represent us to some extent. In most cases they are an idealistic representation of what we wish we'd look like in RL, only younger, fitter, beautifullerer, richer, more sexy ... but they don't represent us. Mostly they represent just our basic character traits, since one cannot hide those.

Oh my gaaawd, it won't even let me close the questonaire since that was a required answer. So ticked Yes, eventhough it's not entirely true.

If your avatar is human, does it look like who you are in real life? Good option here: Somewhat. Ticked that.

The rest of the questions were not thoroughly thought out and totaly uninteresting.

For once in my second lifetime, I'd love to see at least one "student" come here and not just ask us to fill out a survey, but actually post the questions that are in the survey.  Not only might it encourage people to actually take the survey, but it might possibly lead to a more interesting discussion than how the survey is worded and the credentials of the person taking it... just saying.

...Dres

I filled it out, but I agree with the others that the questions are not well thought out.  You are likely to get misleading data and skewed results.

I also think you'd get more meaningful results by doing in world, one on one interviews.  It's a lot more time consuming than adding up numbers, but you will learn a lot more.

I read the survey.  I agree, it's not well thought out.  What is sad is that this is an example of the less than average education the students are recieving today through the whole education processl.  They cannot even comprehend what they are asking their education is so lacking.  That's what you get when students are passed each year without being required learn critical thinging skills.  No wonder our government and business's (especialy here in the USA) are run so poorly. 

namssab1nad Piers wrote:

I read the survey.  I agree, it's not well thought out.  What is sad is that this is an example of the less than average education the students are recieving today through the whole education processl.  They cannot even comprehend what they are asking their education is so lacking.  That's what you get when students are passed each year
without being required learn critical thinging skills.
  No wonder our government and business's (especialy here in the USA) are run so poorly. 

Actually, that is part of the problem.  They spend too much time developing their thinging skills while neglecting their thinking skills.

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

I thing you're on to somethink.

..Dres

In the immortal words of Frank Zappa,

"If you want to get laid go to college. If you want an education, go to the library."

So I took his advice and spent a lot of  time in the college library.  ;)

Perrie Juran wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

..Dres

"If you want to get laid go to college. If you want an education, go to the library."

So I took his advice and spent a lot of  time in the college library. 
;)

Hahahhahahhahha and i should be so more than deeply educated lol....

ive been to college when i was young indeed... but now there are almost 14 years i spend 35 hours per weeks in a library lol..... well... the one im working in :smileyvery-happy:

so i m more than happy to know now this words from Frank Zappa now hehehehhehe

Perrie Juran wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

..Dres

So I took his advice and spent a lot of  time in the college library. 
;)

Luckily, you don't have to be enrolled in college to learn a few things in the college library... or the college library bathroom.

...Dres (But, you didn't hear that from me.)

namssab1nad Piers wrote:

I read the survey.  I agree, it's not well thought out.  What is sad is that this is an example of the less than average education the students are recieving today through the whole education processl.  They cannot even comprehend what they are asking their education is so lacking.  That's what you get when students are passed each year without being required learn critical thinging skills.  No wonder our government and business's (especialy here in the USA) are run so poorly. 

This ^^  Over the years I've heard about "The Dumbing Down of America" but now (and not referring to this survey) I'm seeing this displayed almost as the new "norm" - grammar, spelling, sentence structure, punctuation, etc. at an abysmal level.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.