Land Dimensions?

alternatego

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I am quite new to SL and am looking to buy some land (1536 sqm). I have also been looking at houses for the land. My question is how do i find out the dimensions of the and as most of the houses mention their measurements i.e. 30x30?

I would appreciate any help in this.

menu: World \ Show \ Property Lines

will draw parcel lines on the ground. can use to check the shape of the land before you buy it

a 512m regular shape is 16x32 m

so 1536m can be any configuration of that basic shape x 3

can also be an irregular shape or even a disjoint shape (two or more seperate parcels joined (linked) together

use property lines to make sure before you buy it

• Like 1

The dimesnions of a standard 512 parcel are 16m x 32m.

Therefore, the dimensions of 3 x 512s (1536), side by side are 32m x 48m, and a 30x30 house will fit ok.

It's only if the three 512s in the 1536 are not side by side that you'd have to work out its dimensions, but two side by side 512s (1024 parcel) are 32x32m so the house would still fit.

Hi Alternate, welcome to our slowly dying world and these forae. Well, house sizes are quite simple, aren't they?

30x30 m = 900m², so that house (or should I say palace) should fit on a 1536 parcel ... in theory. 1536 m² is quite a standard size for SL land, it's 3x 512 m². Yeah, so you put your free 512 in and pay tier for 1024. Ideally you find a parcel that is 48x32 but land is often shaped in strange ways. Along Linden routes or waterways they are cut out very strangely so you have lots of little nooks and crannies that are only good for the prims but not really to build on.

So next time when you go hunting for land activate Property Lines in the View menu for that will show you the exact outline of the property. Oh, and before you do that you make a 30x30 prim in a sandbox and with some luck you can put it onto the parcel to see if your house would fit. Depends if the land seller allows building for anybody.

• Like 1

... Also, keep in mind that prims available go hand in hand with land size. 

For the land size discussed here, 512, prims that come with total 117.

See here for other configs:

http://secondlife.com/land/pricing.php

This is for mainland.  For private full prim sims, the size to prim ratio is the same as mainland but pricing is higher.  There are also other products available of course.

hth

If you are using regular "SIZES" and not the BUILDER SIZES, then it's 512 sq.meter 16x32 - 1024 sq meter 32x32, etc etc. 

Creators sometimes use weird methods of calculating the surface requiered for a building like they have a very narrow but deep building. like, 20 x 40 meter and they will tell you fits on a 800 SQ.Meter parcel. so always make sure the dimension are listed when you buy a building. 

A short list, 

512 = 16x32

1024 = 32x32

1536 = 48x32

2048 = 64x32

• Like 1

List of land types

Second Life Land Use[6]
Additional Land Parcel Size (m2) Square Equal Line Length (m) Max Prims
1/128 Mainland Region 512 22x22 (16x32) 117
1/64 Mainland Region 1024 32x32 234
1/32 Mainland Region 2048 44x44 (32x64) 468
1/16 Mainland Region 4096 64x64 937
1/8 Mainland Region 8192 90x90 (64x128) 1875
1/4 Mainland Region 16,384 128x128 3750
OpenSpace 65,536 256x256 750
1/2 Mainland Region 32,768 181x181 7500
Homestead 65,536 256x256 3750
1 Mainland Region 65,536 256x256 15,000
+1/2 Mainland Region (when already at US$195 level) 32,768 181x181 7500
Private Island on pre-2007 server technology (second hand purchase only) 65,536 256x256 15,000
Private Island on current server technology 65,536 256x256 15,000
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Innula Zenovka wrote:

So long as both the parcels are in the same sim, and owned by the same individual or group, they're counted as one, I thought, at least for prim allocation.   

Prim counts for all your parcels in one sim are pooled, but that doesn't mean the parcels are one parcel.

When joined in one parcel they are administrated as one parcel, say sold or abandoned as one parcel.

More parcels may easily be joined in the land tool: select them all and join.

Land in the selection that are not owned by you are ignored.

:smileysurprised::):smileyvery-happy:

Can't emphasize too much about having Show Property Lines on, when purchasing land it helps you see exactly what you are getting and helps you prevent encroaching on your neighbors' land when building.  I've seen a lot of parcels that have a small "donut hole" parcel in the middle of it making the larger parcel almost impossible to put a structure on unless you can somehow obtain that donut hole parcel as well, having Property Lines on helps you see things like this before you buy the land.

To help determine if your house will fit in a parcel you can use Edit Terrain to sketch a yellow square, and if you don't own the parcel you can't make any real changes so don't worry.  Right click on the parcel you are interested in and select Edit Terrain.  Then if you just click once you get a 4m by 4m, or 16 sq.m square which is the smallest unit of land possible to have.  Click and hold as you drag the mouse and stretch the yellow box in 4m increments.  So if you drag/stretch a box 8 units down and 8 units across you'll end up with a yellow box 32m by 32m, and if this box sits within the boundaries of the parcel you've found a parcel that your 30x30 house will fit in.

If you can temporarily place objects on the parcels you are viewing, you can make a template for the house shape and test it against the land boundaries. Unfortunately, sale parcels are usually set with no building allowed to prevent littering. Sometimes you'll be lucky and they'll just have a short autoreturn set.

Even if you can't rez items, you can attach them. On occasion I've made a house template and worn it around my waist, then stood in the middle of the parcel checking if it would fit (and vice-versa, worn a template in the shape of my land to see if a house was the right size). Use a fixed pose to heep the template level as you move. It looks silly but it works.

Yep. I had to learn all that stuff once because a parcel I purchased to increase my original plot was part of a much larger parcel that had been rather oddly subdivided. A few weeks after I made my purchase someone bought a huge chunk that bordered me on one side. I got an IM asking me to sell them my parcel because it was in the middle of theirs. I thought ???. Turns out there was a little sliver about 2m x 5m right smack dab in the middle of their huge lot that belonged to me! It was joined to the add-on parcel I bought but I had never noticed it, even when I had property lines visible.

After reading a couple of Land tutorials I figured out how to make it a separate chunk and sold it to them. I'd have given it to them but they were rude as hell so I figured I'd at least get compensated for my time :-).

Dora Gustafson wrote:

This is SL! Almost anything is out of scale(because of the default camera position?).

I have a bed room 100 square meters and it seems small

100 m² bedroom in SL!  :smileysurprised:

And I have to live in 60 m² apartment in RL, having tiny bedroom.

This isn't fair. :smileysad:

:smileyfrustrated: :smileywink:

Coby Foden wrote:

Dora Gustafson wrote:

This is SL! Almost anything is out of scale(because of the default camera position?).

how do you manage to walk round in such a tiny RL place?? with your camera stuck in your face

(:

Coby Foden wrote:

Dora Gustafson wrote:

But it's cosy - and costs less to heat :D

One can have a discontiguous parcel if not careful while subdividing, as I recently found out.

Cut out a land parcel 4x12 meters and call it "A". Then subdivide a 4x4 area in the middle of it and call it "B". Parcel "A" now will consist of two, separated sub-parcels of 4x4 size. You'll have a prim allotment of 3 in the "B" and 7 in either part of "A". And if you change the name of one of the "A" subs to "C", the other one will reflect it. Same uuid for both as well.

So, one parcel but discontiguous. Best join them all back together now. :)

16 wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

Dora Gustafson wrote:

how do you manage to walk round in such a tiny RL place?? with your camera stuck in your face

(:

I slap binoculars the wrong way at my face.  It helps a bit.  :smileysurprised: :matte-motes-big-grin:

wrong-way-binoculars-1.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.