Speaking of Calling Cards

Tex Monday

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I'm going to anyway.

The previous thread talked about multiple calling cards in inventory. My question is..why do we have them at all? What are they for? I know that you get them when you friend someone, but I have old ones in there from people I never see anymore. Do I need them...would it mess up my friends list if I just went and deleted all of them?

Thanks for your help...

Hi, you can safely remove them and it will not have any effect on your friend list.

Perhaps it is handy to keep the calling cards of your actual friends in case the friend list get buggy which has happened. The calling cards do show her or him online as an alternate option.

After you unfriend someone and you don't wish her or him still being able to track you and you see online, then do remove the former friend in de calling cards as well.

The calling cards seem to be a desitant remainder of earlier sl. What i can remember is one could right click an avatar and give a card instead of friending immediately. At the time it was handy perhaps, however it was hardly in use to my opinion.

If you don't want to friend someone immediately then one of you will find the name anyway and keep a recurring contact. If not then there hasn't been actual interest to my understanding.

You have two options for keeping in touch with someone in SL. You can Friend them, adding them to your friends list and you to theirs, as well as giving each of you a calling card, or you can exchange calling cards, which does not add each other to friends lists. It used to be equally easy to do either - the two choices were next to each other on the pie menu when you clicked on someone. LL has emphasized Friending and made it difficult to even find the method for exchanging calling cards.

When you remove a friend from your friends list, you keep their card, which is handy if you removed them accidentally, since the card itself can be used to re-initiate contact with them.

Calling cards are also used to set up group private IM sessions. For example, you can make a folder in your calling cards folder, give it a name like "Ceera's party" and put the calling cards for all the peopleattending a party in your skybox into it. You can then open a group chat to everyone in that folder at once, even if they aren't members in a specific group.

Calling cards also give you a history of when you met someone. The oldest calling card you have for them is the first time you friended them or exchanged cards, unless you deleted their card since that time.

Tex Monday wrote:

OK...how  would one give out a calling card? I wouldn't even know where to find mine.

Well, I just tried for several minutes using Viewer 3, and as far as I can tell, the only way now to give someone a calling card and not have them on your Friends list is to Friend the person and then un-Friend them again!

Tex Monday wrote:

OK...how  would one give out a calling card? I wouldn't even know where to find mine.

If I remember correctly, I believe you can right click on a person, go to more (or it might be on the first part of the pie that says give card) I am using firestorm and I believe you are able to do that with the viewer. I'm not inworld right now to check this but I seem to remember seeing it on the pie menu.

If you play in combat regions, you may find that the managers recommend removing all the Calling Cards. The viewer does updates for online/offline status. Removing them can save some CPU cycles. 

Its been some time since I've checked to see if that has a measurable effect.

Tex Monday wrote:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I'm going to anyway.

The previous thread talked about multiple calling cards in inventory. My question is..why do we have them at all? What are they for? I know that you get them when you friend someone, but I have old ones in there from people I never see anymore. Do I need them...would it mess up my friends list if I just went and deleted all of them?

Thanks for your help...

If you don't see a use for them, Tex, then simply delete them.  They are just serving as inventory clutter in your case, although a few people find them useful. (I can't say I've ever found them useful.)

• 2 weeks later...

Moni Duettmann wrote:

Speaking of calling cards... contrary tocommon belief, I do have a calling card of myself in my inventory, so theoretically I could even send it to someone else, another thing possible denied by some. My only question is: how did this card get into my inventory? Can someone help?

Well hopefully you are your own best friend.

But I checked and I have a copy of my own calling card too in my inventory.

I'm going to let it be because I have no plans to unfriend myself.

Moni Duettmann wrote:

<giggle> The question that led to this discovery was: can I *send* a calling card to someone, as opposed to give it to him/her via the pie menu at close encounter. Well... yes you can!

I glanced at the creation date of my own card.

I had never used this feature but remeber trying to do a test drive on it once.

What I am guessing is the first time you use it, a card has to first be created in your inventory so that you have one to give.  That is, for some reason it doesn't exist until the first time you use the feature.

• 11 months later...

Tex Monday:  "After you unfriend someone and you don't wish her or him still being able to track you and you see online, then do remove the former friend in de calling cards as well."

----

This doesn't seem to work.  I tested this with an ALT and it seems so long as the other person has your calling card, they can see if you are online regardless if you kept their card or not after you unfriended them.  If they friend you then unfriend you, their calling card no longer shows your online status.  But the calling card you have for them still shows you theirs.

What I can't figure out is why LL crippled Firestorm's ability to see people's online status even if they've made themselves invisible out of "privacy concerns", yet it continures to force you to hand over a calling card, the ultimate stalking tool, when you friend somebody then doesn't have a mechanism which enables you to take it back should that person become hostile.

Perhaps the creators of Firestorm might put a change in their viewer which allows you to friend somebody without auto-sending your card to them.

I think it's about time to do away with calling cards, they are archaic and serve no real purpose.

Prim Composer wrote:

What I can't figure out is why LL crippled Firestorm's ability to see people's online status even if they've made themselves invisible out of "privacy concerns", yet it continures to force you to hand over a calling card, the ultimate stalking tool, when you friend somebody then doesn't have a mechanism which enables you to take it back should that person become hostile.

First of all, SL did not "cripple" FS's ability.  They instituted a rule that affected all TPV's stating they could not include a function to circumvent it.  Also, actually FS as I recall had already discontinued this before the rule came up from the Viewers they were releasing.

Prim Composer wrote:

Perhaps the creators of Firestorm might put a change in their viewer which allows you to friend somebody without auto-sending your card to them.

When you friend someone that is Server function that sends the Card.  FS has no control over the Servers.  I have heard that LL has discussed discontiuing them but ATM that is hear say on my part.  I do think there have been some JIRA's about it.

Prim Composer wrote:

I think it's about time to do away with calling cards, they are archaic and serve no real purpose.

That is a matter of personal opinion.  I have and do use them as a contact point with people.  Not every "unfriending" is of a hostile nature.

• 1 year later...

I have two uses for Calling Cards. The first is when I have a multi-person chat going, I can add anyone to the conversation that I have a Calling Card for by just dragging the card in. They don't have to be on my Friend list. This is my most frequently-used reason for having them. The second is that it's just interesting sometimes to scroll through the cards and have a blast from the past. Calling Cards are not static. They are updated as a person's profile is updated. So I can open the Calling Card of someone that I've long forgotten about and see what they've changed by looking at their most recent profile. Anyway, I like the Calling Cards. Please don't lobby anyone ot get rid of them just because you don't use them.

• 7 years later...

Is there a way to have the calling card removed from others list, once you unfriend them or block them..   It would be good for those that have an ex or ex's.. That could prevent some people from having to start a new account if they are being bothered by another.. If you change your name they will still know who you are.

14 minutes ago, Reddee1 said:

Is there a way to have the calling card removed from others list, once you unfriend them or block them..   It would be good for those that have an ex or ex's.. That could prevent some people from having to start a new account if they are being bothered by another.. If you change your name they will still know who you are.

No

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Reddee1 said:

Each avatar got an unique identifier (UUID) associated to it (like every object, item and asset in SL); changing the avatar name won't change the UUID. That UUID is used as an item creation marker (each item you create in SL is marked with your agent Id, the ”agent” being your own avatar, in LL's viewer code jargon). The UUID of your avatar will also be present as the ”last owner” field marker in every inventory item you give away to others.

It means that anyone can find you (by UUID) via the items you gave to them (and not only via calling cards that used to be given by servers or, now, created by viewers, when forming a friendship). This is how the whole SL database was designed and works (UUIDs as keys), and LL cannot do anything to change this.

Your only option to evade a stalker in SL is to use an alt avatar. But before using that last measure, you may use the mute/block feature, the ban lists, and abuse reporting if they do not prove to be deterring enough for your stalker...

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I had a thought: In some countries, there is the ”right to be forgotten”.  I wonder if those countries can compel LL to delete your account and all references to it (including your Calling Cards).

This right is for real persons and identities, not for avatars... At least, LL offers true privacy, i.e. unless you reveal your RL identity yourself to others, no SLer can know who exactly you are in RL.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

This right is for real persons and identities, not for avatars... At least, LL offers true privacy, i.e. unless you reveal your RL identity yourself to others, no SLer can know who exactly you are in RL.

Ironically, there are "most posters than I would have expected" who have privacy concerns about Second Life, even as avatars.

6 hours ago, Reddee1 said:

According to a very reputable source which I also verified personally, if you unfriend someone, your calling card is put into their trash.  Obviously they can fish it out again should they want to but a lot of people wouldn't notice and just empty it at some point.

You are worrying about something unnecessarily though, any calling card can be turned into a calling card for anyone if you know how.  On top of that there are scripted objects that if you put in the name of the person you knew, it will give you their new name and ones that if you give it the name of the person you suspect were someone you knew, it will give you their previous names.  You cannot hide this public information from anyone.

Edited by Gabriele Graves

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.