Handling Absenses

Deja Letov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

just curious how some of you merchants who deal with customers on an almost daily basis handle things when you have to be gone from SL for awhile. I'm trying to get things in order for myself, I will be gone for at least a couple of weeks soon having a baby, and am a little worried. I hired two assistants to help but usually that ends up being them contacting me to redeliver or ask a question, etc and I know during this break, i don't even know if I will be able to keep up with that. Do you just trust someone enough to give them your account info or just tell everyone to suck it up til you get back?

I wouldn't be giving your account info to anyone you only knew from SL (it's actually against some TOS fine print I think anyway).

You can deal with any tech support via email and redeliver from the MP website without logging into SL (and that would be easy enough to teach someone in RL to do, too). Or else ppl can just wait or buy it again if they're desperate and get a refund later.

You can make a note in your profile about being away and also set up an auto-response to IMs from email.

And really, bringing a new person into the world wins over someone's virtual life pixel shopping. :)

I have fantastic staff.  Both they and customers can do redeliveries, something i've always considered this essential to reduce my own workload.

I have set IM's to email and respond that way and use a mobile client for my phone so i'm not really that far away.  If you can do this, then maybe you can find 5 or 10 minutes now and then to reply.

Don't forget to pop something into your profile that lets people know when you'll be able to respond.  I never mind seeing that on a Merchants profile, at least you have an understand and suitable expectation as to when issues may be resolved.

well, if i need to take a break for only some days, i write it in my profile and ask them to drop a nc, if needed, in my inworld mailbox, that way, im sure i will get it when ill be back and will go back to these pp asap.

But, i had to leave my business 2 times for about 1 month each time. Fortunately, i have 2 dear friends in sl, that i never met in rl but that i know for years. They have my login and password and are able to log for me if needed. I also sent notice in my groups and write in my profile that pp may ask these persons if they have any question or need about my items. Its not possible to think in advance about all the questions that may be asked. There is always smth that happen and that you didnt think about before. In this case, i trust my 2 sl friends judgement and i know they will find one of the right answers.

During normal times, i also use to check how is my business thru my mailbox, and i can answer to people from it too without loging in sl.. at least, if SL doesnt cap my ims.

Im sure you have also some friends that you can trust. Maybe better to  ask to them, than hiring unknown persons... 

anyway good luck for your delivery :smileywink:

Sassy Romano wrote:

I have fantastic staff.  Both they and customers can do redeliveries, something i've always considered this essential to reduce my own workload.

I have set IM's to email and respond that way and use a mobile client for my phone so i'm not really that far away.  If you can do this, then maybe you can find 5 or 10 minutes now and then to reply.

Don't forget to pop something into your profile that lets people know when you'll be able to respond.  I never mind seeing that on a Merchants profile, at least you have an understand and suitable expectation as to when issues may be resolved.

Actually I just recently started using the Caspervend system because I knew this was coming and i wanted the "redelivery" option available via the terminal. And since it works for Marketplace deliveries too, it has already helped me even while still here. And I'll definitely pop something into my profile!  Thanks Sassy!

Thanks everyone. most of this stuff I am planning on doing so I'm glad I'm on the right track. my assistants have already started handling a lot of questions and have me on Facebook and email to reach me fairly quickly so hopefully it will all go smooth. And...it is only maybe 2-3 weeks I will be out I'm sure...surely my SL can survive without me for that long. LOL

Deja Letov wrote:

Actually I just recently started using the Caspervend system because I knew this was coming and i wanted the "redelivery" option available via the terminal. And since it works for Marketplace deliveries too, it has already helped me even while still here. And I'll definitely pop something into my profile!  Thanks Sassy!

If babies weren't no copy/mod/transfer I'd say put in a feature request to Caspervend to be able to deliver them as well.

Alas.

Edited to add: And best of luck to you and yours.

Dartagan Shepherd wrote:

Deja Letov wrote:

If babies weren't no copy/mod/transfer I'd say put in a feature request to Caspervend to be able to deliver them as well.

Alas.

Edited to add: And best of luck to you and yours.

Ya too bad they weren't copy...then I could just copy one of my others and I wouldn't have to go through this hell again. LOL  And thank you!

Just tell everyone to suck it up...nicely. As you already have Caspervend set up you are already on the right path. Just make sure you put a notice on your profile and also some poster with some info in your store would help. Make sure your profile is not set to private, if it is then it matters not what you put on it as anyone with a V2 and newer will not be able to see it. That is all you can do, other than that just go and and relax for a few weeks, merchants are people too and we all need a break sometimes.

And congrats on the baby :)

A lot just ignore profile messages. I have a "vacation" message (permanently) for my IMs to email. Everyone who IMs when I am offline gets a message along with a link to my FAQ and Support page plus my Homeowner's Guide. I also tell them that if they sent a notecard (in spite of my profile pleas not to), I cannot read it until I can get inworld. 

The autoresponse comes from Gmail.  I also ask -- if the FAQ and Support pages do not address their issue -- that they provide a detailed description of the problem and the exact item name. SOME ppl will do that in a followup message. (Some leave it at:  "I have a problem with a thing.")

I'm gone a lot, sometimes with no internet whatsover. What works for me is to put a notice on my profile of the dates I will be gone and the names of two of my friends to contact ("please contact X or Y"). These friends are in the same business as I, and have edit rights to my stuff, and all my stuff is rezzed in-world. My friends will collect copies of transaction histories and if they look legit, pass the customer the missing item, or help them with any difficulties, or refund if they deem it appropriate. Its worked quite well over the last two years - lots of times theres not any issues during the time Im gone.

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

It would be nice to be able to assign a manager to your marketplace to handle redeliveries while you are gone......

Agreed, it would be a nice feature, especially if a Manager could be assigned temporarily, given only specific powers (such as redelivery) and then removed upon return.

In the interim though there are systems that range from the basic "Redelivery of Marketplace purchases only" (such as the one I helped create) all the way up through full vendor systems (such as the BSM system which I highly recommend). It all depends on how much effort someone wants to put into the process, how much technical savvy they have and what they need to accomplish in the form of Customer Service during their absence.

But yeah, I totally agree with you Dilbert, a Manager feature would be a dandy improvement to add to the Marketplace.

(Now if we just had a way to submit Feature Requests for the Marketplace rather than writing them on dandelions and setting them loose in the wind ....)

Darrius Gothly wrote:

(Now if we just had a way to submit Feature Requests for the Marketplace rather than writing them on dandelions and setting them loose in the wind ....)

A great new feature to add to that wind is a customer triggered 'Redeliver Product' button under My Account - Order History (for copy items only). And while customers are in there some might even stumble upon the 'Review Product' button.

Rya Nitely wrote:

Darrius Gothly wrote:

A great new feature to add to that wind is a customer triggered
'Redeliver Product'
button under My Account - Order History (for copy items only). And while customers are in there some might even stumble upon the 'Review Product' button.

Agreed! But since I didn't see any activity in that vein and I did spot a product that did the same, I tossed my hat into their ring and helped out finishing it up. If they (LL) won't do it, might as well lend effort to those that will.

Rya Nitely wrote:

Darrius Gothly wrote:

A great new feature to add to that wind is a customer triggered
'Redeliver Product'
button under My Account - Order History (for copy items only). And while customers are in there some might even stumble upon the 'Review Product' button.

That's a very sensible idea. In fact, customers should be forced to view this feature before leaving a bad review for non-delivery.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.