Because SL depends on RL..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4361 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I didn't go back and read the Community Standards just now so maybe political messages are okay here, but I really hope they don't become a trend. Isn't what we have to put up with on the television and in/on other media enough?

I really hope the GD forum does not become a place for RL politics.

ETA: I left out the fact that a great many Forum contributors do not live (nor care too deeply about the political situation ) in the US so for them it must be even more boring.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I didn't go back and read the Community Standards just now so maybe political messages are okay here, but I really hope they don't become a trend. Isn't what we have to put up with on the television and in/on other media enough?

ETA: I left out the fact that a great many Forum contributors do not live (nor care too deeply about the political situation ) in the US so for them it must be even more boring.

Well that.

If I want to learn more about foreign politics, I know how to find information, outside of SL and/or SL forums :)

RL laws have had much influence in SL and this community.

Should we want to minimize the interference of RL laws in SL?

Well, keeping our heads in the virtual sand of SL will sooner or later catch up with us if we don't care.

The video is about a candidate that has proven to not be worthy of taking charge of the government LL has to answer to and that makes it relevant.

Did your vision just improve?

Hilton Harpoon wrote:

RL laws have had much influence in SL and this community.

Should we want to minimize the interference of RL laws in SL?

Well, keeping our heads in the virtual sand of SL will sooner or later catch up with us if we don't care.

The video is about a candidate that has proven to not be worthy of taking charge of the government LL has to answer to and that makes it relevant.

Did your vision just improve?

If we wanted to we could use this broad generalization above (the statement I bolded) to try to justify the discussion of many topics here.  Personally I am not a fan of either Romney or Obama.  I could post some nice dirt about Obama too if I wanted.  But I do not wish to engage in political discussion here.  My choice, my privilege.

I'll leave it to the Moderators to decide if your submission is relevant and / or has a place here.

I'll discuss issues but the garbage like you linked above, meh.

I'll leave it to the Moderators to decide if your submission is relevant and / or has a place here.

It's been here long enough, and on a controversial enough topic to generate some Reports, that I think we can say the Moderators have decided.

I can't say that I understand that decision, but I don't know that it matters, really. It's not as if, whatever becomes of this thread, it would somehow restore interest in these forums, which have become the pin-dancing angels discussion auxilliary of a Thursday afternoon needlepoint circle.

it is, however, a dreadfully tedious little video. As a resident of Massachusetts while Mittens was the Guvnah, I can say that there's much more to come.  For once it appears the Democrats have the sense to keep their powder dry for a good ol'fashioned October Surprise.

Hilton Harpoon wrote:

Is that right? Would you mind showing some proof?

I have no memory of posting this video before and will edit my initial post to remove the video if what you say is true.

My mistake I was thinking of this,

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Has-anyone-seen-quot-Elektable-quot/m-p/1584859

The names of the videos are so close Elektable/Unelektable.

Any way like I said SL is where I go to get away from RL,  I get plenty of politics in RL, din't watch watch the video so I have no comment about it.

Qie Niangao wrote:

It's been here long enough, and on a controversial enough topic to generate some Reports, that I think we can say the Moderators
have
decided.

I can't say that I understand that decision, but I don't know that it matters, really. It's not as if, whatever becomes of this thread, it would somehow restore interest in these forums, which have become the pin-dancing angels discussion auxilliary of a Thursday afternoon needlepoint circle.

it is, however, a dreadfully tedious little video. As a resident of Massachusetts while Mittens was the Guvnah, I can say that there's
much
more to come.  For once it appears the Democrats have the sense to keep their powder dry for a good ol'fashioned October Surprise.

I myself have nor RIC'd it. 

I've been voting since I became eligible and I will vote.  I don't know for whom yet, but I will vote.  One thing I do know is that my vote will NOT be based on junk videos like the one linked.  I honestly believe that videos like this are not geared toward educating people.  They are only geared toward getting people to argue.  A total waste of Bandwidth.  They are designed to stir up emotion, not intelligent discussion. 

They do more to breed disdain for our Electoral process than to help it.

As far as what the Democrats do, well, they way I have seen a lot of Elections go the past few years it has not been a matter so much as who won, but who did a better job of losing.

I will state that I am accepting write in votes for President.   The way I look at it, I could certainly do no worse than what has been done and it's possible I may even get something right.  Besides which, lord knows, I could certainly use the job.

Qie Niangao wrote:

BTW, you make an excellent point here about the Forum.  For the most part a lot has degraded to regurgitations of the same issues over and over again.  And I find myself repeating myself over and over again.  It's getting rather boring.

However, typical of many so called improvements to SL, they may be considering this an upgrade.

when both sides go back and forth at each other in and election year..this is what i see and  hear..

because i'm not really paying attention to the dribble..i'm watching the magicians other hands..

the dribble  just makes for good youtube parody stuffs..and that i do watch hehehehe

Dillon Levenque wrote:

This ^^  I hear all I need to about the elections in RL.  I'd rather not come to my SL and get high blood pressure here as well. ;)

Lol at "Mittens."

I agree with Dillon and Czari. I would like the forums to be an escape from anything too 'heavy' such as we are all inundated with just about everywhere else. That would include most talk of politics and religion among other 'real' topics.

It seems like I remember when the 'new' forums first opened there were rules about avoiding flammable topics, etc., but I recently looked up the current rules. It seems they are pretty loosey goosey. Basically, the current rules do not forbid even very 'pointed' discussion (read: Flame bait) of religion or politics. More is the pity. It's a wonder the place is as temperate as it is, given that fact.

The rules such as they are, vaguely mention community standards. Things such as open mockery of religion have stood as is in the recent past, so heated opinion about politics, nationality etc., probably will as well.

One thing it does take care to forbid is any sort of comment about how things are moderated so all I can say is jolly good, carry on, chaps.

I don't particularly have a problem with discussing RL politics in SL, but unless it's a more direct correlation with SL, I don't see the point. Now if it's a political discussion that involves a topic that directly impacts SL, like SOPA, then people are going to want to talk about it here.

Clearly a lot of people don't want to discuss general politics here, so you chose the wrong format to express your views.

Perrie...LOL  How many times have we (as SL residents) wished we could derender, mute, or ban someone in RL?  Also...am I the only one who at times wishes I could find my camera controls in RL so that I could get a better view of something without having to move myself?  Or, looking at something else online, you get that same urge to change your perspective fo whatever it is?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4361 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.