Help for Parents

Sevrer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm a parent, and my underaged teen would like to use Second Life.

Since he is ungeraged, does Second Life Monitor chat logs, so no old creep harrasses my son?

If someone speaks to my son, uses curse words, or sexual words or sexual  harrassment, it seems like this should be reported.

If my son does not report to me himself, I would at least like this to be monitored. Seems like a very simple feature. Detect sexual words or curse words, report to Linden Labs and ban...

Is this possible?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sevrer wrote:

The TOS is pretty clear about who is eligible to use Second Life. If your teen isn't 16 years old (or 13-15 if affiliated with a Sponsoring Organization) then he is not eligible.

Since he is ungeraged, does Second Life Monitor chat logs, so no old creep harrasses my son?

If someone speaks to my son, uses curse words, or sexual words or sexual  harrassment, it seems like this should be reported.

If my son does not report to me himself, I would at least like this to be monitored. Seems like a very simple feature. Detect sexual words or curse words, report to Linden Labs and ban...

Is this possible?

LL does not actively monitor chat and/or IMs. Abuse is reported by residents.

WHich is why I would like the feature to ban and report anyone who says anything inappropriate in a chat. It's not invasion of privacy is a computer does it; if a curse word or inappropriate word is used, Linden Lab will auto be notified. Why not? Sounds like a simple system.

Sevrer wrote:

WHich is why I would like the feature to ban and report anyone who says anything inappropriate in a chat.

You can report it but that doesn't automatically earn the person that you're reporting a ban, or even a suspension.

It's not invasion of privacy is a computer does it;

I certainly didn't sign up to have someone looking over my shoulder at all times, so... yes, it is.

if a curse word or inappropriate word is used, Linden Lab will auto be notified. Why not? Sounds like a simple system.

This isn't Club Penguin.

First, there is no way for an adult in SL to know if your child is a minor unless they say they are.  So  if someone speaks in what you consider an inappropriate manner to him you cannot 'report' them unless your child tells them up front in the actual conversation that they are a child.  Just putting it in a profile is not sufficient as no one is required to look at profiles.

It is your responsibility to monitor your own child, no one else's. 

You can check to be sure your child gives their correct DOB when creating an account.  Minors are restricted to G rated areas and cannot enter moderate, or adult rated areas.

You can be sure that a chat log is kept for all his chats with people to be sure he is admitting that he is a minor when it is appropriate and that he is being treated respectfully by any adult that KNOWS he is a minor and that he himself is not behaving inappropriately. 

Really though, unless your child is mature enough to handle himself around adults and is honest about his age, I would not allow him in SL.  Even if this is so, think hard.  Personally, I would not allow any of my children into SL until they are 18 not because SL is teeming with adult rated things,  it is not.  There are plenty of areas where you can go to avoid that.  However SL is for adults in my opinion,  I wouldn't let a child of mine go to a bar on their own no matter how upscale and classy it was either..

As I said, all reporting of abuse and other TOS violations is done by residents. Abuse reports are investigated and acted (or not acted) upon by LL employees.

There is no monitoring (LL does keep logs to verify transgressions), filtering or automated discipline.

If your son is 16-17, he will be restricted to General regions. Certainly it would be safer there, but if you're concerned about him hearing the occasional inappropriate word... you might as well put him in a bubble now and not let him have any contact with the outside world.

You can't even report it less it was in open chat,, most likely he will hear this naughty lil words,, why because most don't care if it in a pg sim or not they feel they can say anything and will,, will they be ban not likely don't get too happy if you believe just because they was reported they will get ban,, we not your kid baby sitter,, this a XXX play ground for most ppl

If by the time they are 16 (and eligible for SL sans a sponsoring organization), if your child does not know how to remove them self from an inappropriate situation then you had better start teaching them this now and fast. 

They NEED to know that there is "adult content" both in RL and by extension in SL.

This is something I know I have a very strong opinion about, but I have looked parents in the eyes and told them that if by the time your children are 18, if they have not learned this then you have failed as a parent.

I know it is possible because I did it with both my children and while I won't post them (too time consuming), I have the incidents to back this up.

On the other side of this, I DO NOT WANT a Nanny State, neither in RL or in SL.

It was my responsibility to take care of my children, no one else.  While I never encountered a situation severe enough to need to call the authorities, I would have. 

Ideally yes, we'd like everything to be rainbows and butterflies for our children.  But that is not the way the world works.  And your children are getting ready to go out into the real world now.

Parenting begins at home.  Not in an online virtual world.  If you feel your child is not mature enough to deal with the imaginary online boogeymen, then perhaps it is best to make him wait until he is 18.  What you are suggesting would completely change Second Life for the worse.

Sevrer wrote:

So you want anyone who speaks to your darling reported?

As for the curse words and sex words, I'll put up Lindens on a bet that your lil darling has heard them all and a few that you haven't - twice, before the school day is over.

is good that you are concerned enough for your sons online safety that you bothered to ask some questions before allowing him into SL

there is no automated chat filtering system in SL like is found in many all ages online worlds

SL is not an all ages world as generally understood. is primarily a world for adults. 18+. with provisions for restricted access allowing 13-15 and 16-17 ages (read the links that others have provided to know what they are)

the onus for their safety is on the child and on their parents. or on their teachers in the case of 13-15 when the child has a highschool administered account (which is what generally meant by a sponsoring org)

if you are not convinced that SL is entirely safe for your son then tell him No. if he wants to join bc he wants to build and stuff like that then suggest to him Minecraft and Cloud Party

Sevrer wrote:

WHich is why I would like the feature to ban and report anyone who says anything inappropriate in a chat. It's not invasion of privacy is a computer does it; if a curse word or inappropriate word is used, Linden Lab will auto be notified. Why not? Sounds like a simple system.

ideal griefing tool. Send an alt into a busy sim, and press the "ban" button on every single profile. Rinse and repeat all day long, see how many people you can get banned before someone just like you beats you to it and autobans you.

Even if LL reverses all those bans (which would require tons of work on their end to investigate them all) it will take days or weeks, maybe months.

Sevrer wrote:

I would love this feature as well... If your child is in SL and reports me for cursing on Moderate land in front of them since they are under age. I would want this feature to do the right thing... and Permaban your IP for being an idiot that want to expose their child to SL.

YES!!1 lets let the children into SL!! Open it up to all ages.

What is wrong with you? why do you want them in SL? Tell them to go outside and play. GEEEZUS! seriously?  you need your parental card taken away. Whats next, lil jimmy wants to drive the car at 13 so you hand off the keys?

Try following the rules you agreed to when you signed up.

Sevrer wrote:

Is this possible?

no they don't have auto report  in second life..

if there is a big concern which there should be..i would not recommend second life..there are plenty of pg type of virtual worlds out there that would probably be better suited for the concerns you are having..

Sevrer wrote:

SL is a 99.9% adult platform not a babysitting service.  Sex is IMO the #1 revenue stream that keeps LL on their feet. 

Why on earth would any parent want their child to have access to such a platform in the first place???? 

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Sevrer wrote:

Is this possible?

no they don't have auto report  in second life..

if there is a big concern which there should be..i would not recommend second life..there are plenty of pg type of virtual worlds out there that would probably be better suited for the concerns you are having..

I have to agree with this.  Where do pedophiles go to find children??  They go where the children are.  So regardless of LL having pg or general sims for teens, there is nothing to keep 'adults' from also entering those sims.  So bottom line?  THAT'S where you are gonna find that element of person - being sweet and kind and obeying the rules.  The biggest problem in our society today, is that people still want to believe that  you can spot a monster from a mile away - this is so wrong.

Why subject your child to that at all? 

IMO, if you aren't sitting beside your teen while they are online, then you can expect them to be subjected to whatever is out there.

Sevrer wrote:

I'm a parent, and my underage teen would like to use Second Life.

Since he is underage, does Second Life Monitor chat logs, so no old creep harasses my son?

If someone speaks to my son, uses curse words, or sexual words or sexual  harassment, it seems like this should be reported.

Is this possible?

Question 1: Do you use SL? If not, I suggest you sign up and spend a few days here. Then decide if it's a good place for your 'underage teen' to spend his free time.

Question 2: You obviously know the likelihood of your son being approached sexually by an adult. Are you also aware of the likelihood that your son may be interested in SL partly because of the readily available sexual content?

Question 3: Why do you expect Linden Lab to assume your responsibilities as a parent when the platform they designed is not even remotely a platform for minors?

Would you sneak your son into a strip club or a bar but expect someone to tell you if he looks at the strippers or tries to have a drink? Speaking for myself, I'm trying to have fun in here, not babysit. "Gether kid outta mah party!"

This is ridiculous & I call troll.

ETA: Just in case you weren't trolling, on the "seems like it would a simple curse/sexual word filter" issue. It wouldn't be. For one thing, besides the fact that 'sexual words' is kind of subjective and would differ by context. There would be the matter of whether an old creep went into a G sim, chatted up your kid and said inappropriate things, or whether your son wandered into the Old Harassing Creeps-R-Us sim and managed to overhear them while they were minding their own creepy business.

Stella Carver wrote:
Would you sneak your son into a strip club or a bar but expect someone to tell you if he looks at the strippers or tries to have a drink?

I don't know if there's any sneaking involved here (hopefully, Sevrer would be looking over his/her son's shoulder when he registers, so that he/she knows that he's not lying about his age like many do), but... yeah.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.