Ditch the Facelight

JoJo Aurelia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1565 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My opinion is an anti-community rant...because it was not favorable or in the high percentage of the OP's opinion? Dont take things so serious, sl is a community also based on individual tastes and likings. I am allowed an opinion and actually your response to me was a bit of a warning? Hmmm.. Sorry I believe in freedom of everything and all opinions. I realize everything we all do and also SAY impacts others :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2: I am going to see if you responded to the 1st few negative opinions that were a bit more intense than mine. Please don't let this av's BD lead you to believe I have only had 10 months of experiencing sl. I am going to stop there. Thank you for your input.

Pussycat Catnap wrote: ... it is essentially a form of griefing.

I posted this in another facelight thread back in November: "If my facelight (on the right in the example below; my associate does not have a facelight attached) somehow bothers someone... they reeeeally need to get a life."

1m.jpg

ETA: Closeup:

150percent.jpg

If this makes me a griefer... so be it. I'm a griefer. Ban me from your lands, mute me, derender me. See if I care.

I used to use a  very subtle, subdued facelight, too, Griffin.   Then I realised a few things; 

• No one but me could see it, or not unless they were within about a metre of me;
  • In some Windlight settings it looked horrible;
  • Quite often even I couldn't see it, because other people's megawatt settings meant either I had to turn off "attached lights" or everything was flooded by their lights

So now I just rely on Windlight settings, and only use my (very nice) facelight for photos.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

- If that is the case, then it is essentially a form of griefing.

:D It definitely isn't griefing.

Some lightsources could be considered 'abusive', where they wash out the colours of people around them; they're using settings that are far too high and covering huge areas. It might be a jerkmove, but judging by the responses to this thread it's at least as likely to be accidental and not deliberate (not using the correct settings, etc) or caused by an object (land owners are very guilty of using terrible lighting too).

It's not the lightsource that causes griefing, it's the intent behind it.

Avatars attention!  Please stop using facelights.
You are giving very bad influence to real people!
The SL facelight fad is spreading already to RL.  The proof, look:  :smileysurprised:

face-light2.jpg

What is this supposed to do?  The ad states proudly:

The Facial Light is a safe and portable palm-sized rechargable cosmetic device equipped with (36) red light 660nm LED's. The multi-light device is intended to improve:

• Reduction in wrinkles and smoothes fine lines
• Produces a healthy and radiant glow
• Painlessly rejuvenates and firms skin for youthful appearance

See, just the same thing what avatars think facelight might do to their skin. :smileyindifferent:
So, real people definitely have learned this silly fad from SL.

:smileytongue:

Don't be afraid, light therapy is a good sound medical practice.

Light therapy or phototherapy (classically referred to as heliotherapy) consists of exposure to daylight or to specific wavelengths of light using lasers, light-emitting diodes, fluorescent lamps, dichroic lamps or very bright, full-spectrum light, usually controlled with various devices. The light is administered for a prescribed amount of time and, in some cases, at a specific time of day.
Common use of the term is associated with the treatment of skin disorders (chiefly psoriasis), sleep disorder and some psychiatric disorders. Light therapy directed at the skin is also used to treat acne vulgaris, eczema and neonatal jaundice. Light therapy which strikes the retina of the eyes is used to treat circadian rhythm disorders such as delayed sleep phase syndrome and can also be used to treat seasonal affective disorder, with some support for its use also with non-seasonal psychiatric disorders.
Other medical applications of light therapy also include pain management, accelerated wound healing, hair growth, improvement in blood properties and blood circulation, and sinus-related diseases and disorders. Many of these use low level laser therapy and red light therapy in the 620–660 nm range. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_therapy

red-light2.jpg

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote: ... it is essentially a form of griefing.

I posted this in another facelight thread back in November: "If my facelight (on the right in the example below; my associate does not have a facelight attached) somehow bothers someone... they reeeeally need to get a life."

1m.jpg

ETA: Closeup:

150percent.jpg

If this makes me a griefer... so be it. I'm a griefer. Ban me from your lands, mute me, derender me. See if I care.

YOU BASTURD!!!!!

...Dres

I see some folks want to try and take my statement and ramp up the drama 110%.

Ignoring my caveats and ifs.

Typical.

It comes down to whether or not that light gets into the limit on the number of local lights, if such limit is still largely in operation. The thread didn't seem to present a clear conclusion on that.

If this is not the case, then its only an issue when your light is severe enough to spread beyond you.

Malanya wrote:

LOL..People come to sl for their own experience and to escape, enjoy whatever

the reason may be, how they build their avi, what attachments they use, clothes

they wear, etc. is neither MY business nor YOURS. Learn how to use your

preferences and settings. OT:  BTW I don't like that your store spammed me to

send out a "TEST EMAIL"  I didn't sign up for your group, store anything, but

you feel you can clutter my sign on with your notices that were unwarranted? I have never even heard of your store until the "notice"

Please keep complaining about facelights, wasn't aware that you were involved in

my sl account. SL sure has not changed since I had my last account a few years

back. Jeeeez

I show you purchased an outfit from me June 28th. Perhaps there is another avatar with your name and when I put it into my mail system, you were delivered the package.

Kakia Designs Rags 2 Riches Roses Shorts Outfit 70630014 Delivered L$299 Paid Malanya Redeliver item

It was not spam. I sent all my customers who purchased a certain dollar amount free Mesh 4th of July high heels, and that was the "test" message. I failed to change that introduction in the config card. Sorry if we sent them to the wrong customer.  I'll remove you from my gift list.

Also read my other replies. I admited my OP was contentious and applogized but since the thread had gotten so big I didn't want to delete or change it and cause swiss cheese forums.

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

You can use my name, Pussycat. "Some folks" don't get bent out of shape about little things like that.

To be fair, you did take her post, edit it down to a couple out of context bits, essentially putting words in her mouth for you to get bent out of shape about.

In the 6 local light setup, dim, limited area lights tend to go dark when surrounded by larger, brighter lights which take priority. A small light, like you've shown in your screenshots, doesn't really affect others (unless they are using Deferred rendering, where it becomes a minor, yet uncessary, performance hit), but neither does it serve much of an aesthetic purpose at all, as demonstrated by your screenshot.

Assuming that's a single light noselamp. If it's a multi-light nose lamp it would have the interesting, unwanted affect of causing larger, more noticable lights to go dark when you got close enough to another avatar for those to take priority.

Coby Foden wrote:

Avatars attention!  Please stop using facelights.

You are giving very bad influence to real people!

The SL facelight fad is spreading already to RL.  The proof, look:  :smileysurprised:

face-light2.jpg

What is this supposed to do?  The ad states proudly:

The Facial Light is a safe and portable palm-sized rechargable cosmetic device equipped with (36) red light 660nm LED's. The multi-light device is intended to improve:

• Reduction in wrinkles and smoothes fine lines

• Produces a healthy and radiant glow

• Painlessly rejuvenates and firms skin for youthful appearance

See, just the same thing what avatars think facelight might do to their skin. :smileyindifferent:

So, real people definitely have learned this silly fad from SL.

:smileytongue:

THAT is an awesome Facelight! Now I'd wear that one!

My world, my imagination, Penny.

When people try to tell me how I should live my Second Life and suggest that if I don't live it exactly as they'd like me to that I may be a "griefer" (never mind that I'm not exactly a resource hog and I break none of the TOS), yeah, I kinda get bent out of shape about it. The anti-facelight brigade is just one element (the "scale" Nazis are another; one can't help but notice the crossover). If I choose to have a giant avatar with strings of Christmas lights hanging off of me, a slave tethered to each, that's my business, isn't it?

As for aesthetics... this may present a better view (same settings; Ultra, default midnight, facelight set to low brightness and small radius):

Image3.jpg

It may not serve a purpose for you. I don't happen to care about that. It serves mine.

Have a nice day.

Jenni Darkwatch wrote:

Others have already pointed out what exactly facelights do to others. It's pretty irrelevant whether the facelight is too bright or not.

Besides, Facelights promise something they cannot keep. What people see depends too much on individual settings.

Instead of "making avis look their best", all they do is make their users look like imbecile, inconsiderate idiots.

Half of what "others" said referred to overly bright facelights shining all over them, and the surface around them. Doesn't match any version of "irrelevant" that I've come across at all.

Whether or not it actually makes avies look better or worse, is what is actually irrelevant. They are historically sold to improve appearance. Until I bought several and realized that they all are generally overpowered and there is no way to standardize their effect, I went with what the manufacturers. said on the box. So did almost everybody else who bought one, which would include more people here than will get off their high horses to admit.

I remember you from when I used to come on here a lot a few years back. You were pretty level headed. So you likely realize that there are only two types of people on this thread. Those who didn't know better when they got to SL and learned through experience what works and doesn't work. And liars.

Now when you want to add "proud" to "dishonest"? You get "fool"; a very close cousin to "imbecile" and next door neighbor to "idiot". So if that's your kink so to speak, you needn't run around SL looking for people with mag-lites hanging off their faces.

And honestly? That's the "lollipops" response to entitlement-based squawking. The default response is more of a hand-gesture. People will learn. Eventually they stop wearing giant genitals with nothing else on. They stop walking into the homes of others unbidden. They stop asking "U Want Sechs?" And yes, they stop buying everything they see that sounds good, including facelights, especially once they've learned that they may be doing more harm than good.

And the ones that don't, get de-rendered. At least by those of us who have in fact learned something about this place and would rather solve the problem than stand around acting peed on.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Kascha, I think the reason facelights are still popular with new players is pretty much the same as it was before we had Windlight -- that they make skins look a lot better in the default SL lighting.      And it takes a bit of time before you realise that you can adjust your Windlight settings to achieve much the same effect and also -- which took me rather longer to realise -- that because other people are playing with their Windlight settings, too, you really have very little control over how you look to other people, whether you're using facelights or Windlight settings to control how you look to yourself.

What really brought this home to me was when I made an alt once and bought her a starter pack that included a skin, clothes, hair and facelight.   When I was logged in as her, she looked really pretty good.   Then I logged in as me, and she looked like she was standing under a floodlight, which meant I couldn't really see her face properly.   So I switched to her, ditched the facelight, and played with her face a bit till she looked good in normal SL daytime lighting and even better using the Windlight presets I tend to favour.

But it takes time, I think, for people to realise that, whatever they do, they can only really control how they look to themselves, not to anyone else, facelights or not, and that, anyway, half the time people aren't going to see their facelights, no matter how subtle they are, because they'll have turned them off to avoid someone else who has got megawatt lights.

Yes! Exactly! This is exactly my point. This is not Doom. It is a far more complex system to learn and the people attempting to start new are never prepared for it. I was lucky to have a complete angel take me under his wing within a few minutes of rezzing in the main grid for the first time who was patient and taught me what was what. And then when I learned it and he saw what he'd helped me do and realized how his patience and care made me feel, he proposed to me. And still with his help I was learning something new about the place every day and doing less and less "dumb" as I went. Now I even teach him things, including what he's bought to wear that can never again see daylight if he expects to keep a wife with eyes.

I actually left SL for a year and when I came back, my boats didn't work, my facelights looked like they were the only lights in the entire neighborhood, shoes didn't work. I tried to buy new versions of that stuff and they just weren't the same. The facelights weren't subtle anymore they were double facelights and they resembled the sun in brightness. I tried messing with them in different Windlight environments. They were no longer effective. I could see that for myself, and I stopped wearing them.

According to some, there's only one summation for why I ever wore them. I'm an idiot. Que my default response, mentioned in an earlier post. If people want to lie to themselves, act like it's realistic to claim this system has a linear enough learning curve for new residents to see through deceptive advertising to the real performance of such items, deny that they too looked like fools until they learned, and then on the basis of that, cry about their own false dilemmas? Fine - it's a free world for the moment. Just don't try to present that world as the SL world we all live in. Because it is not. That's really all there is to it.

Baloo Uriza wrote:

Lighting is unpredictabe in the real world.  Lighting, unlike what you claim, can't change a bad looking skin or accessories from looking bad.  Then they just look bad, brightly.

If you're trying to imply that poor skin design is the only explanation for why facelights were needed, I'm going to have to disagree. My top dollar skins by household word designers looked just as crappy in '07-'08 as the freebies I'd wear just to be funny. Light may not be predictable, but it doesn't shine according to pedigree either. As for the real world, the unpredictability of lighting does not stop makeup manufacturers from trying to design to exploit it, and it is certainly important enough for photographers to control it where they can. When they can't control natural light? They use their own lights.

Lighting may not be able to make the Elephant Man look like Jolie, but the wrong lighting will see to it that Jolie doesn't look anything like Jolie either. In fact, with eyes and lips that big, cheekbones that high, eyelids that heavy and too much shadow? And pale too? She looks like a cross between a zombie and that guy on the tricycle in Saw.

Here's the only thing I claim, that I think ought to matter:

There are as many reasons for residents to be wearing facelights as there are residents who wear facelights.

The arrogant self absorbed fools are not the ones wearing the facelights. They're the ones who think they can narrow the motivations and situations of the entire lot down to an if-then conditional.

The problem here isn't facelights. It's lack of tolerance and humility. There's your relevant comparison to the real world. Such generalization fails in the real world too, and is pretty universally considered a marker for ignorance.

There's as interesting offshoot from all of this.

If someone has a facelight or similar that is bothering me, I'll just derender them. No further action necessary.

If someone is gesturbating such that it bothers me, I'll just mute them, nothing else required.

However, that person might already be or later become a customer of mine and requie help. I won't ever see that request for help and get branded as an unhelpful non-responsive merchant.

Shame that there isn't a "mute for x minutes" option. I usually have avatar sounds disabled instead.

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

If I choose to have a giant avatar with strings of Christmas lights hanging off of me, a slave tethered to each, that's my business, isn't it?

The Christmas lights (unisex model even): :matte-motes-big-grin:

add for big christmas lights.jpg

And the matching slaves: :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

You're good to go rocking.  Enjoy. :smileywink:

cool-5.gif

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

This from the person who can't be arsed to turn off rendering of attached lights because he wants to carry an... attached light. Hypocrite much?

Nope.  I'm sorry if you don't understand shading and lighting, and the difference between a facelight and a lantern.  Go back under your bridge.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1565 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.