Ditch the Facelight

JoJo Aurelia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please detach your facelight if you wear one. Adjust your windlighting/environmental lighting if you have to stare at yourself. They are not necessary, and annoying for others. Face lights are only for you to stare at yourself, and everyone knows that, so they don't benefit anyone else because everyone has different graphic settings.Let's end face light pollution in SL. 

hmmm well I have to say that I like my facelight.  I think the problem is not having them it's learning how to use them properly.  No need to crank them up to the point of being able to land a plane.

Facelights are like bling and glow - they have their uses, usually in very small doses and IMO there is always a time and/or a place.  Is a personal choice & not everyone's taste of course. 

• Like 1

I hate facelights and don't understand them.

There you are, in a nice dark bar, with a little atmospheric light coming from candles in old wine bottles.

And then someone comes in with a light attached to their head.

Even if the light is not super bright, it changes the whole setting.

So I made sure other peoples attached lights are not rezzed.

This way people who want them can stick lights on their faces without me even noticing.

i like my face light it illuminates my face enough to make me look as good as i do in the daylight at night while i don't mind other peoples face lights i don't know if it's just a linden realms thing (as it's the only place i've seen them) but while i've been there i've seen people using the equivalent of face lights on steroids they're so blindingly bright and white even wearing sunglasses wouldn't help tone them down

I don't care about facelights. I've never worn one, although several of my outfits do contain attached lights.

In my opinion however, people who complain about facelights are considerably worse than the people who wear them. Can we ditch those, instead?

Never understood the type of person who figures that other people should adhere to their own personal set of standards. SL isn't a single player game and other people (with other cultures, preferences, senses of aesthetic) exist within it. If something bothers you, mute/derender it and know that your personal (and private) bubble of standards can continue un-pierced; but don't force your standards upon others.

If you own the land of course you can choose who enters it freely; if a light-source annoys you then you can remove it. If you want to eject and ban people who don't fit to a curve you design, that's fine. You pay for that right, and SL allows you to shape your reality provided that you own it.

Immersionists, fine. You guys don't like anything that bends or defies the laws of physics, and part of me can appreciate that. The part of me that exists in RL, where the laws of physics apply. In SL (or any other virtual environment), complaining about a lack of realism will get very boring, very fast. Immersionists are playing a losing game in SL, which is perhaps admirable but it certainly should be a personal crusade.

No-one else cares.

ETA: The first group mentioned, I've just thought of a fun name for. "Dictationists" ^^

• Like 2

Facelights can be disturbing. The number of local lights the viewer can process is limited and a few people with a quad facelight array surely take out any local lighting.

Not to mention the facelight terrorists having a 1000W halogen beamer shining into their faces and a 20m area around them, making them just a bright white mass without details. Yes yes, some people use shadows and lighting and that affects the brightness of local lights. :)

But there is a solution: right click and block that avatar - lights are off now - problem solved.
Avatars so desperately seeking the be in the light and so unseen now. :)

Freya Mokusei wrote:

In my opinion however, people who complain about facelights are considerably worse than the people who wear them. Can we ditch those, instead?

I have to disagree. If we were talking about simple personal fashion sense that would be one thing, but a poorly set up nose lamp isn't simply bad fashion, it affects everyone around the person wearing it.

For those on less powerful computers which cannot run deferred rendering, they are still limited to six environmental lights, each noselamp eats at that number, breaking the lighting in an environment to the point where it can be difficult for others to see.

Blindingly bright noselamps also affect everyone else's ability to see by washing out the nearby enviornment in blindly bright light. The people wearing these often do not even have local lights on so they serve no purpose whatsoever.

Bad nose lamps force people to turn attached lights off, breaking good use of attached lights (like flashlights in dark sims) and even with attached lights disabled, nose lamps STILL count against local light sources.

Over use of noselamps can also cause crashing and framerate issues.

All of these  issues contribute to why people feel so strongly about whether or not others are wearing nose lamps.

Storm Clarence wrote:

I personally like knee lights better.  This way I get to wear two lights and I get to show-off my knees at that same time.  I don't know why, I guess I like staring at my knees; and when others stare at my knees it is a real turn on.    

I thought you were going to say that knee lights are better for women so you could gaze up their skirts.  :|

Sorry, i love my facelight, i think avys look horrible without them, i keep atmoshperic shaders unchecked otherwise an avy with a facelight looks overbright.

And for my skins i find they are best, i have had a facelight ever since i have been on SL, i look at pictures of myself that i took when i first came on sl, without a face light, at the time i thought they looked good, but now i look at them and think they are terrible.

I find face lights are very flattering to the way an avy looks, i really don't care what i look like to you, only my partner ,,and we both look very nice to us

• Like 1

Penny Patton wrote:

Freya Mokusei wrote:

I have to disagree. If we were talking about simple personal fashion sense that would be one thing, but a poorly set up nose lamp isn't simply bad fashion, it affects everyone around the person wearing it.

For those on less powerful computers which cannot run deferred rendering, they are still limited to six environmental lights, each noselamp eats at that number, breaking the lighting in an environment to the point where it can be difficult for others to see.

Blindingly bright noselamps also affect everyone else's ability to see by washing out the nearby enviornment in blindly bright light. The people wearing these often do not even have local lights on so they serve no purpose whatsoever.

Bad nose lamps force people to turn attached lights off, breaking good use of attached lights (like flashlights in dark sims) and even with attached lights disabled, nose lamps STILL count against local light sources.

Over use of noselamps can also cause crashing and framerate issues.

All of these  issues contribute to why people feel so strongly about whether or not others are wearing nose lamps.

I LOL'ed at 'nose lamps' but fully agree with all you wrote.

I am one of those that likes o explore and go places, being in high/ultra graphics with shadows enabled and everything. Just because I can and because I love it. Facelights indeed ruin some of my experiences and yeah, force me to either derender a complete avatar or in most cases I have to untick the attached lights. When I go to a club I switch to medium graphics and disable a lot, not because my machine can't handle it, but just to get rid of the excessive lights people around me tend to use.

I am aware most wearers of face-lights have NO clue on what they do to the 'environment', and sometimes pointing it out or sending them a picture/snapshot on what I (and others) see ....helps. Facelights can have a purpose I suppose, when taking pictures of oneself, although I have never used one. Well maybe back in 2007....

And  let's not get me started on full bright buildings!!! (but that is another story.....)

Penny Patton wrote:

I agree with you, too. I'm aware of these issues and that's why I choose to only wear attached lights when I feel they're necessary. There's a very obvious line between 'tasteful' and 'abusive' facelights; the case for not liking abusive ones is very strong, I doubt any will disagree with you.

However, as I said, that's what mute/derender are for. All of your examples are evidence of people abusing system resources or at least a lack of understanding the resources that are available. If they're your friends, or they're on your land (or you're otherwise invested in their development) then I'm sure it's suitable to talk to them politely and explain the limitations of the system. Otherwise, who cares? Why make any issue of it?

The bile contained in the OP's post (and 99% of every other facelight criticisms I've heard) is completely unnecessary and counter-productive to the de-face-lighten-enlightenment effort. The fact that there's 'drama' over this issue at all proves that the people doing the enlightening are failing.

If it's abusive, mute/derender and move on. It never became anyone's responsibility to police this issue, and nor should it.

Faye Feldragonne wrote:

Please detach your facelight if you wear one. Adjust your windlighting/environmental lighting if you have to stare at yourself. They are not necessary, and annoying for others.
Face lights are only for you to stare at yourself, and everyone knows that,
so they don't benefit anyone else because everyone has different graphic settings.Let's end face light pollution in SL. 

I just reread your post. 

Are you inferring that face light wearers are vain?  And how do you come that conclusion - that face light wearers do so to only 'stare at themselves'? 

I see the photo of your avatar - do you not consider your avatar as being attractive?  Do you buy skins, hair, clothes and shoes merely because you need to do so in sl to um survive?  I don't think so.  I think you want to look as attractive as you can.  So setting aside the facelights etc....I think the pot here is calling the kettle black.

Facelights like an AO are nothing more than personal preference.  I use a facelight in sl because I am often taking photos.

If I go to a sim to explore and someone lands with their facelight on maximum, yes it's annoying so derender whatever.  And although it may be annoying, my dictating my standards on another's sl experience would be, IMO, more than annoying - it is totally unacceptable. 

To me, this is something I come to sl to get away from, others trying to dictate to me how I should lead my life.  That and deadlines (another story entirely)   The beauty of sl is that we can derender someone who is encroaching on our space.  I only wish we could do this in rl :P

• Like 2

You know I have to agree with you, Freya. 

Personally, I wear a facelight from time to time, not because of vanity, but because I want to, especially when needing the light for photos.  My favorite hair seems to have them built in and uneditable, but when wearing it, I generally have it turned off...thankfully, the creator had enough wherewithal to understand not everyone likes to have facelights turned on.

For me, facelights are the least of my problems.  I find it more annoying the chat spam from gestures and AO that make those standing, wander about.  I guess I COULD ask people to not wear those annoying AOs  or the spamming my chat with senseless drivel that fills up the whole screen(Clubs are the worse about that and I avoid them like the plague) or, stupid sounds.  I could also complain about AVs being giants or midgets.  I could complain about female AVs with breasts the size of two small planets.  I could complain about short AVs that push the limits of what is considered child-size.   I could complain about men pretending to be women and women pretending to be men. I could complain about a lot of things, but I won't. 

Instead, I am going to be tolerant of others rather than taking their personal behaviors as direct insults to my SL experience.  Rather than make it all about ME, ME, ME and what I desire, I am going to do my best to continue to co-exist with others, fully aware they have just as much right to wear what they wish, even if it annoys the hell out of me. I am not going to impose my personal biases and insist when I am out and about, that others follow my "Dictationalistic" opinions on what makes MY SL experience pleasant.  Hell, I would start sounding like I was a two-year old...MINE, MINE, MINE rather than an adult tolerant of diversity.

P.S.  Interesting group name, have you thought up a charter?

• Like 1

Facelights are a personal choice of the wearer, just as seeing facelights or not is a choice available to you.  If you don't like them,turn them off - simple. Given that you have a choice, why do you feel you need to impose your choice on others and insult them in the process?  IMHO, saying people are vain is the pot calling the kettle black, when you obviously care enough to make an attractive avatar when it is not strictly necessary. Do you do that because you stare at yourself?

The great thing about SL is the freedom that it gives to everyone to look the way they wish to look. 

Perhaps a more constructive way to approach this is to talk to your fellow fashion creators about the issue as most people probably are wearing face lights that they got when they bought something else and didn't make themselves. I get them all the time with outfits and most of them are like mega spotlights and go in the trash.  You could also do a constructive post telling people how to make their own facelight so they just softly illuminate their own face and nothing else.  This is easy enough to do by keeping the light radius and intensity very low.

I don't like facelights. I gave them up about 6-8 months after I joined SL.. well, tried to. My favourite hair at the time had them built in >< Thankfully, fairly tastefully.

Now, I don't wear any. I use my windlight settings to make the world, and myself, look good to ME! That's all I care about: how things look to ME!

Before I found the option to turn off facelights, people that wore the super bright ones really bugged me... to I don't think I ever said it to them. Now... I just have lights set to sun/moon only.

One thing I do hate, however... is facelight users complaining that I don't wear one. I've had this from time to time. I get told I should wear one, because it'll make me look better (to them....). I always decline, and say that I use windlight settings, to make SLife look how I want it to, and I'm happy with that. I don't think I even have a facelight in my inventory anymore.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.