Mass banning from commercial land without no reason. Some thing good we should encurage in SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4382 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Found out after 3,5 years in SL I "finaly" got banned from piece of land.

I have never ever been banned from any land I have been on or from land owned or managed by people I meet and communicated with.

I got an IM from my business partner that sadly found out she was banned from a sim she never hade visited or never hade contact with the owners. She found out when she heard of a hunt they organized and wanted to participate. She gave me name and I TP'd there from map search just to find out I was banned as well. I started to look in to this and found out that me and my business partner was not the only persons banned for no reason.

Well there might be a reason but good one? I will let you decide if this is what we want in Second Life.

This in world market (the owners) are in a stupid drama with another inworld market (its owners). What happened is that every one that seams to have been involved in some way with the other in world market (or its owner) is by "default" banned. Several persons have been banned without visiting the sim or ever never been in contact with the in world marketplace owners.

Real life is full of prejudice cus of skin colour, language and dialects, religion, sexuality & gender, who’s the parents ect etc. To me Second Life is a place where I can take my good apples from RL and seed them off and leave the crap and human stupidity behind me in the real world.

I do not care the least about market A's and market B's stupid immature drama so why should I and other innocent bystanders suffer from this **bleep**? In real world using innocent victim in a fight is called terrorism. Is that a good thing from RL we want to bring in to SL? Should there not be some kind of terrorist act in SL?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am the one that got banned for no reason...I wanted to join a Hunt Group that they will be having...went to tp there and found I was banned....why???  There is such childness in SL from Grown People!  I can't understand if one has an issue with another and I know that person by association that I should be banned?  I am a designer and wanted nothing more in here is to create and have some fun with my friends....not to deal with petty bs in SL....sad that some people revert back to high school days....and choose sides....why can't we all be good to each other in here.....instead of finding ways to be angry. 

The issue is that you and a group of persons were banned from a sim?

It took you 3 and a half years to get banned?

I was banned from a club when I was new, for having way too much fun.

Every once in a while I would go back and see if I was still banned. I was. The place moved a few times. Now it is gone.

Point is, there is a lot more to SL than one sim, why equate banning to terrorism? 

They didn't hurt you, maim you, kill you or anyone in your family.

The question is do we want this in SL, the ability to ban drama queens? I vote yes.

My point... SHOULD there not be a "terrorist act" in SL?

Random banning no reason from commercial land in world SHOULD be against TOS. One thing is private non commercial property, there I have no objections what so ever. Another thing is open sims for commercial purpose. In South States and in Sout Africa the banning for other reason than personaly related security reasons from commercial public land was called apartheid. Is this what we want in SL?

In TOS or not but is it what we want in SL and should there not be some kind of restriction of general banning from commercial public land?

I think I am going to report you just for being generally abusive. Terrorism, apartheid? Really?

You aren't talking about commercial public land. You said you were banned from a merchant's sim. There is no right for you to go to anyone's parcel and cause a problem, in fact, anyone can ban anyone for any reason or no reason at all.

HI carlotte

mac is not being abusive.  he is frustrated as he wanted to participate in a hunt and found he was banned from a sim for no reason.  he never caused a problem there.  the problem is that he reason he was banned may simply be because of an association with another home and garden market group, that this particular sim owner does not like.

he is talking about innocent bystanders being treated unfairly because of drama being created by others.

He is using words like terrorism and apartheid to describe being banned from a sim. That to me sounds like why he may have issues with not being welcome into certain places. I appreciate your comment though.

If innocent bystanders are not allowed into one sim, there are so many other sims they can visit. When I was banned, my feelings were hurt also, but I never would have thought of it as serious as terrorism. That is what bothered me.

mac has never been to this particular sim before, never caused any problems for the owners.  He is simply trying to go about his business in SL, participate in a hunt that is supposed to be open to all home and garden designers and found he can not apply because he was banned from their commercial sim.

he has never caused any problems for the sim owner or their business group.  he is saying he is frustrated and feels he is being treated unfairly because of dramas this sim owner may be creating because of issues they have with another home and garden group.

I was a member of a merchant group (perhaps the one you are referring to) that seemed to appreciate my work and membership for a time. As my business grew I found other great groups to belong to and opened new satellite stores with no intention of leaving or jeopardizing the first. One day, without communication of any kind from it's owners, my ability to send notices to the group members was revoked and when asked, the owners would not respond to any of my questions (and never have to this day). I did quietly move on and have no regrets, but i feel for the current members who may not know this kind of behaviour is going on. I had heard rumours about this from other former members, and then found out the truth for myself. The groups I now belong to are run by cooperative and creative people who are not afraid of a little competition and will not jeopardize their professional and customer relationships with petty jealousies, rivalries and passive agressive behavior. I myself might ban people who engage in these behaviors themselves, but never those associated with them, as i know this would only do damage to my reputation and business in the long run.

"He is using words like terrorism and apartheid to describe being banned from a sim. That to me sounds like why he may have issues with not being welcome into certain places. I appreciate your comment though."

You should maybe try to read what I say one more time and this time not read it as devil is reading the bible.

You like the owners of the market place do not know me as person, does not know any thing about me and there for there is no reason to ban me or others in same way from a public commersial land. There is many bad bad names for that kind of behavior. There is also a term "freedom of speach".

ok to clarify the situation - to apply to participate in hunts, mac and honey have to go to a certain sim to get the application forms for OTHER peoples hunts and cant because of the banning from the sim the applications are on.   a ban that has occurred for no reason that he can understand.

people that do mass bannings to groups only hurt themselves and their own customer base..

because when a group gets banned  they only see those people in that group or whoever the real target is..not the chain of people connected to them not even in the group...

let them enjoy the right to abuse their ban hammer if they want...

it's just them cutting down their odds of makign a buck..

spend elsewhere..you don't want to spend on them anyways.. *winks*

"let them enjoy the right to abuse their ban hammer if they want...

it's just them cutting down their odds of makign a buck..

spend elsewhere..you don't want to spend on them anyways.. *winks*"

I so totally agree. =)

How ever things not so good (in this case in my opinion) need to be talked about or nothing would never ever change and we all would still be having mammoth for dinner or nibbling flint stones in pure boredom.

Ry0ta Exonar wrote:

Well, parcel owners can ban anyone for any reason or for no reason, and that's not against the ToS or CS. So there is not much you can do about it. Actually I've got banned a few times, when I just shrugged and moved on.
;)

Honestly this is the whole fact of the matter.. They pay 300$ US a month they can ban whoever they want.. However in the long run they might only be hurting themselves.But whining about it on the forums wont make a difference.

I could also start a rant on hunt- freebie- taking over SL- and the mentality of new people being that they can get everything in SL free. But, whatever...

"As my business grew I found other great groups to belong to and opened new satellite stores with no intention of leaving or jeopardizing the first. One day, without communication of any kind from it's owners, my ability to send notices to the group members was revoked and when asked, the owners would not respond to any of my questions (and never have to this day)."

Does not matter if same market place or not but yet another example what one hope not to find in SL.

"But whining about it on the forums wont make a difference."

Au contraire I am happy to say.

At this moment, as I am typing this, there is things happening (nothing that actually concerns my case) that solwes some other persons problems thanks to that I whined about it. ;-)

regardless of you feelings towards this kind of behaviour, what is it to you anyway?...you said you never shopped there so it makes no difference if you are banned or not. SL is like RL in that, shops and shopping centers are privately owned business, and without reason they can have you banned  for whatever the reason they want. Move on, shop somewhere else, they can only hurt themselves by shrinking their own market %, and you can always tell all your frineds that its not a nice place to go. word of mouth can be devistating. and when their market is dried up, they will be out of business and someone else will buy the land.

Why is every one telling me I am not allowed to speak my opinion? Tell me I am wrong (why I am wrong is good to add, I might change my mind) but PLEAS do not tell me not to speak my opinion!!!

My opinion is that that kind of behaviour I depicted in my first post sucks. Period!
I am entitled to that opinion and I am entitled my right to talk about in an effort to make an impact on other people to an end maybe even make things change.

"you said you never shopped there so it makes no difference if you are banned or not."

You did not read all of it did you? This is not about me trying to gain access to the sim what so ever. I hade business there because my business partner wanted to attend a hunt held by one of the residents that did not know the in world market place owners randomly banned people for no reason hence causing the hunt organizers loosing 3 customers, among them me and my business partner. This is a general question, is this what we want in Second Life? Should we just accept **bleep** just because it is there? Is a good resident a resident that takes *bleep** and shuts up? Am I a bad egg if I as innocent bystander say "ouch" when ran over?

Becoming Chinese suddenly seams attractive.

Mac Shoreman wrote:

My point... SHOULD there not be a "terrorist act" in SL?

Random banning no reason from commercial land in world SHOULD be against TOS. One thing is private non commercial property, there I have no objections what so ever. Another thing is open sims for commercial purpose. In South States and in Sout Africa the banning for other reason than personaly related security reasons from commercial
public land
was called apartheid. Is this what we want in SL?

In TOS or not but is it what we want in SL and should there not be some kind of restriction of general banning from commercial public land?

I think this is where the confusion lies.  Land in sl is 'commercial public land' only because the owner(s) of the land have designated it as such.  They can change that designation any time they like. 

Like real life, I'm sure you would not want other people to tell you who to allow into your store or your home for that matter. 

The key is not to confuse 'privately owned' and 'publicly owned' property.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4382 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.