Mass banning from commercial land without no reason. Some thing good we should encurage in SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4374 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the United States, commercial establishments can refuse service to anyone they choose, for any reason or no reason, unless they discriminate using a category protected by law against discrimination.

For example,  if I had a store in a state that prohibits discrimination on the basis or race, religion, and national origin, it would be against the law for me to refuse service to people because they were Irish, or because they were Catholic.  But it would not be illegal for me to refuse service to anyone not wearing shoes or a shirt. (“No shirt, no shoes, no service” signs are, in fact, pretty common.)  Unless the state or federal government prohibited discrimination based on eye or hair color, I would have the right to refuse service to blue-eyed blonds.  And so on. 

In most states stores would be permitted to refuse service to, say, lawyers, to tall people, to anyone between the ages of 20 and 30, to people using cell phones, to people wearing polka-dots. 

If someone proved that a store was actually discriminating against a protected category by doing something like saying that they refuse service to curly-haired people, but actually refusing service only for curly-haired people who appeared to be African American, then the store would be in trouble. 

But willy-nilly discrimination against any people for any reason other than the few prohibited categories is quite legal.

Beyond the restrictions against certain specific kinds of discrimination already in the TOS, I would not want LL to interfere with the ability of the person who pays the rent/tier for a parcel to control who may or may not enter it, no matter what is on the parcel—a store, a house, or empty space. 

No.

You cannot ban people in the US due to eye color or hair curliness or if they are a lawyer or not. You could try, but then you would be taken to court and sued, and rightly so.

However, you can ban persons for appearing to belong in street gangs or trying to pretend they are, and you can ban skaters as well from your sidewalks and such.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

No.

You cannot ban people in the US due to eye color or hair curliness or if they are a lawyer or not. You could try, but then you would be taken to court and sued, and rightly so.

However, you can ban persons for appearing to belong in street gangs or trying to pretend they are, and you can ban skaters as well from your sidewalks and such.

I'm sorry, I thought lawyers were in one of the largest street gangs out there.

Now I'm confused.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

No.

I'm sorry, I thought lawyers were in one of the largest street gangs out there.

Now I'm confused.

Ha, they run the world, so the streets are included, just not confined to :P

Rosemaery Lorefield wrote:

Even if stores IRL could ban people with curly hair or blue eyes, or whatever, they would be digging their own grave in doing so. As our SL counterpart is finding out, people don't like discriminatory jerks. They will lose their business very quickly.

I'm not so sure. Some stores might do rather well if the patrons new a certain type would not be included there. 

For example, I haven't shopped at walmart for years.

Heavenly Villa wrote:

you know - for them to ban people who moved on to the same sim as me or who joined my group or who are close friends of mine in sl - they really must be keeping a close eye on me and what i do.  should i be creeped out or flattered?

It's probably a group thing. What group are all of you a part of?

this story is getting quite fascinating as it unfolds

seems like

there is this tribe

seems a member of the tribe started another tribe and some others joined them 

the elders of the first tribe then kicked them out of the tribe and banished them from the ancestral lands

some of the new tribe are now standing on the borders of the old tribes lands crying at the border guards to be let back in

the elders of the old tribe are saying sorry you dont belong here anymore. go away

the banished are saying that the old tribe is doomed

+

this a cool story bro moment. cant wait to see what else happens

Well I'm confused.  The OP said they were given no reason, banned for nothing.  Now they are saying they are banned because they belong to a certain group.  I think everyone should take off their tin foil hats for just a second and contemplate the situation.

Regardless of the why, they need to stop the highschool hysterics & get on with their lives.

There are far more important things to start a thread about.

JMO of course, but this bs has been going on for 3 days now.

Time to find something shinnier or something.

yes

but

if we stop then the warchief of the new tribe wont be able to practise biting anyones head off anymore

thats not good when you the warchief of a new tribe fighting for territory in the jungles of sl. you have to practise quite a lot when you the warchief and you wants your tribe to win

am always happy to help people improve their skills if i can . so is ok. can practise biting my head off anytime and go raarrrrr !!! as well. is better roleplay. like more immersive when you make them kinda noises at the same time

when you helping a person be a better warchief then sometimes can go raaaaarrrr !!! back at them. just so they can learn better how to play that way as well. some teachers are really skilled at that way of teaching. same with the bah! school method

or can help them make armor. like out of tin if they got no steel or anything like that

jejejejejje (:

sry

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4374 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.