Bad Lag

Gunner Grun

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3162 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes, SL has been a mess... Unable to edit my own items at times, trouble changing outfits, stuff not rezzing, you name it... May mean network issues.

All my friends with whom I talked about it have been experiencing the same problems.

Two networks out of... how many? And what're the odds of poor transit across a day? Statistics are fun, but coincidence happens a lot under the conditions you lay out, above.

Doesn't seem especially remarkable to assume that two individuals are having local trouble, out of tens of thousands of acceptable connections (it's clear that this issue is NOT affecting the whole platform), right? Not sure why you include "decision" in this, perhaps to strawman? Not sure how this route helps either of you - my correction kept your word "may", as in... might.

You two are outliers - you owe it to your own experience to find out, definitively, why.

Or you can keep venting at a brick wall. Doesn't bother me!

Two networks out of... how many?

Those are your words. Mine are "quite a few"  — last night (around 4 pm SLT) they were at least 14 that I know of.

[EDIT] Ah, not all of them in the same region, incase you are wondering. But yes, we were 9 in the same region (a private one, btw.)

Lag can result from communications issues anywhere along the pipe from your computer to SL's servers. So, it could be coincidental issues inside the homes of multiple people, or it could be a regional issue with a network router or DNS server. If that server is near SL's server farm, it might affect traffic from many parts of the planet in random fashion, depending on what traffic is routed through the affected node. If the problem is far from the server farm, only people from the affected RL geographical region will experience difficulties.

If the problem is contained to one SL region, it may be a glitch in that particular simulator and a simulator restart would fix it. If a hardware server is having issues, that may affect several simulators and a reboot of the server might fix it. If there's a wider issue, it's probable that would show up in LL's dashboard somewhere.

When I have difficulties connecting to websites, I'll sometimes switch to my phone to see if it can get through. It usually does, thereby exonerating the website. Sometimes the phone also gets stuck. When that happens I often have problems with multiple websites, suggesting the problem is at some major intersection in my part of the internet, common to both my phone and my broadband connection.

Although SL is the most vexing internet connected service I use (except perhaps Wells Fargo), my lag issues have always been the result of something not under LL's control, or reported in SL's grid status page.

If you're really sure it's an SL issue, open a Support Case.

Yes, Madelaine, I know all that and fully agree with all you wrote. And of course I don't have any evidence that it is an issue on the Linden side — all I know is what I've been experiencing (and talking with other people) in the last few days.

Still, not long ago the problem may have been on the Lab's side (https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Server/Lots-of-regions-buggered/td-p/2951450) and they never issued any notice about it. Which doesn't mean it is the case now... And yes, I'm more inclined to believe the intermitent problem lies in some network not far from the Lab's.

It's an imperfect tool, because not every node will respond to the signalling, and the packets may be treated differently to the UDP and HTTP that SL uses, but the ancient utility traceroute can reveal whether the problems are near you or near SL. The Atlantic doesn't get any narrower so there's always a leg that takes a lot of time if you're in Europe, and those numbers have been consistent for many years. It can take a while to get a feel for the normal times.

Trans-oceanic links, even with the CDN taking some of the load, are always going to be slow, But once you know the usual situation, you have a chance of discovering which end of the intercontinental wer string might be the problem.

Just to put things into perspective, I was getting 34ms to London via my ISP, 167ms to Phoenix. That's close to a 5:1 difference, very different to the distance difference, but there's a lot more switching—alternative routes to be chosen—that has to be done overland.

Well, not to say that this lag is widespread; however, I'm glad someone brought it up.  I've been scanning the Linden SL site for any updates to what appears to be an unusual degree of latent responses from the servers.  I've been on SL for over 2 yrs and for the last few days I have also noted that at times in the past few days even geestures that never took more than 10 - 15 secs to execute took almost 3 minutes to execute.  Thus, of course way out of context.  Also, noting that it requires an extraordinary amount of time for buildings to rez for me.  I would think perhaps my own ISP; however, my gf on SL who lives in Canada was stating she was having similar issues.  Sure, it could be coincidental.  But, glad someone else posted this as well.  I'm not one to visit the technical forums so for me to even be here "looking" for any indicators this was something others were aware of tells you something.  Btw, I work in a Network operations center monitoring for just such issues and complaints to escalate at work, so I understand server nodes, authentication servers, operator errors, developer messing with prod (when they really should not!) etc that could be of issue.  It could also be an outside service out of the hands of operations, so in any case, hope it clears up with the next maintenance run.

Other than that.. I can still enjoy the environment for the most part; so, just saying noted here as well in Calif, and Canada.

Cheers!

I've been seeing troubles the past two or three days on our island, and several visitors have commented on it. Textures are slow to load and blurry, needing a reload. Editing an object and going to the contents page can give a wait of many seconds (30+) until the contents appear, editing a script can result in a long wait (60+ seconds) until the text appears in the window, renaming a script inside a prim sometimes fails at the first attempt... Chat-lag comes and goes with the worst delays of up to 20 seconds. AOs sometimes are not working for up to a minute.

One of the most unsettling things is when standing up from an object one has sat on gives a blue screen for several seconds until the view restores to the correct position. I have always understood this to be a sim-loading issue, the sim has to calculate a physics position for a standing avatar but not for a sitting one, but the View Statistics bar and region debug panel show healthy figures.

In addition I am seeiong many of the moving objects in the island are not smoothly transitioning from point to point but instead will lurch from one point to another one, doors which should have closed remain visibly open, although if you try to walk through them they are evidently closed.

This is experienced with several different clients, and by visitors from a wide range of geographical locations, so I don't think it is anybody's local network here.

Maybe there are still asset-server problems, they did some unscheduled maintenance on them last week.

I've been seeing troubles the past two or three days on our island, and several visitors have commented on it. Textures are slow to load and blurry, needing a reload. Editing an object and going to the contents page can give a wait of many seconds (30+) until the contents appear, editing a script can result in a long wait (60+ seconds) until the text appears in the window, renaming a script inside a prim sometimes fails at the first attempt... Chat-lag comes and goes with the worst delays of up to 20 seconds. AOs sometimes are not working for up to a minute.

One of the most unsettling things is when standing up from an object one has sat on gives a blue screen for several seconds until the view restores to the correct position. I have always understood this to be a sim-loading issue, the sim has to calculate a physics position for a standing avatar but not for a sitting one, but the View Statistics bar and region debug panel show healthy figures.

In addition I am seeiong many of the moving objects in the island are not smoothly transitioning from point to point but instead will lurch from one point to another one, doors which should have closed remain visibly open, although if you try to walk through them they are evidently closed. [...]

Yes, that's exactly what I've been experiencing, me and quite some friends from both sides of the Atlantic. Also, everytime it happens I've been checking the sims' stats and they appear to be healthy.

As I wrote before, I'm inclined to believe that it can be caused by some network not far from the Lab's, but we're never sure, are we?

Sometimes I wonder if all those "positive" posters here ever log in-world... Or if they only do forums.

2.30am SLT 10 August and can't login to my SL account on the internet; inworld profile pics not loading and getting "can't find xxx in database" when trying to add clothes. This has been building for days and so hoping this is fix time which is why it is so bad.

[uPDATE/RANT] Just got scripts errors from the Slink hands on login and most items I was wearing earlier didn't load. When I tried to change to another outfit, got a lot of error messages telling the items could not be found in the database. But of course that this is a coincidence... It's all coincidences. SL itself seems nothing but a coincidence too, sometimes. And when I get fed up enough to stop paying for it, it will also be a coincidence.

End of rant.

[EDIT] http://status.secondlifegrid.net/2015/08/10/post2611/ Finally!

[uPDATE POST MAINTENANCE - August 11, 4:30 am SLT] Bad conditions persist (lag) but of course it's all a coincidence.

More coincidences here: TP issues, can't change outfits, severe lag, pictures not loading, multi-viewer crashes,etc. Going on for days now. Multi-region. BOTH sides of the Atlantic. Huge delays in inworld transactions.10 minute delays in tips being received in restaurants. Edit options greyed out. Sighs.

Currently (today) SL is completely messed up - login failures, unable to move or unpredictable movement with bad lag, places failing to rez after TP arrival and also for a while this SL website was unavailable too.   

The last few days it seems to have been getting slower and slower.  Yesterday I had problems with changing outfits.

Until the last few days, I have to say, SL had been quite well behaved for several months, with acceptable performance- at least for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Same problems since a few days and mesh not rezzing for a longer time.

in fact it is so laggy I can't play Second Life at the moment.

I was searching for known issues when I came to this forum.

My full region is very laggy when I am there alone.

Texture won't rezz and mesh often neither, I can barely walk or type and my screen turns black in almost crashing if I attempt to do something.

No techie but I live in Europe - The Netherlands

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3162 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.