Time to renew your Second Life Premium account!

Six Igaly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4065 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There it was. The once in a year notification. Like every year I ask my self if I still think it's worth it. Afteral, what benefits do I have. Well yes ok a tier free 512 on mainland for some vendors (with no buying visitors so far LOL) and yes, a pretty large amount of this membership fee returns back in the wallet with L$ 300 per week. And no, I almost never need one of the services Linden Lab offers. And every year again, and so will be this year, I come to the conclusion that Linden Lab makes it possible for me to experience this all. Without Linden Lab I would never be aware of how creative I really am, I would never have met this wonderful people. Without them I would never ever see my best RL friend every single day. So, yes, again I will be glad to support Linden Lab. I'll sign up for another year for sure!

Editted for spell check

I pay quarterly, and still feel I get my moneysworth.  It's the cheapest hobby I've ever had, and probably the most fulfilling too.  If I want to build, I can build. If I want to shop, I can shop. If I want to dance, or be alone, or chat, I can, at the press of the teleport button I can have different scenery in front of me, and all without having to get out of my jammies. No wonder I feel right at home in SL.  Support have usually been there for me, and fixed any issues I have had very quickly, or pointed me in the right direction.

Shame the Lindens don't seem to have opened Isle of View this year for the annual kiss-fest though - and there was I, dressed, lipsticked, and ready :matte-motes-kiss:

Marigold Devin wrote:

...If I want to build, I can build. If I want to shop, I can shop. If I want to dance, or be alone, or chat, I can, at the press of the teleport button I can have different scenery in front of me, and all without having to get out of my jammies. No wonder I feel right at home in SL... 

I can do all those things too, Marigold, on a free account.

I feel right at home in SL too, on a free account.

Why pay for something you can have for free?

Jeanne

JeanneAnne wrote:

Marigold Devin wrote:

...If I want to build, I can build. If I want to shop, I can shop. If I want to dance, or be alone, or chat, I can, at the press of the teleport button I can have different scenery in front of me, and all without having to get out of my jammies. No wonder I feel right at home in SL... 

Jeanne

As usual, read and compute only half of what someone says, why don't you.

My Second Life IS almost free, and the parts I pay for it have been extremely worth their money. I have even made quite a lot of money in Second Life, in ways I would not have been able to do if I had not paid the small premium I've paid, and received the excellent support from Linden Lab staff that I have.

Sneer all you want, JeanneAnne. 

After my recent experience with someone erecting huge purple prims to chase everyone else off the sim and the Lindens pretty much ignoring our ARs, if my renewal was coming up soon I probably wouldn't renew.  But I have almost seven months to cool off from that experience and if something else doesn't happen in that time my guess is that I'll renew just to help support SL if nothing else.

JeanneAnne wrote:

Jeanne

I think a big plus for premium accounts is the level of support offered. I think having access to live help is one of the primary benefits of being premium, especially taking into account the performance of the current support ticket and AR systems.

Knutz Scorpio wrote:

After my recent experience with someone erecting huge purple prims to chase everyone else off the sim and the Lindens pretty much ignoring our ARs, if my renewal was coming up soon I probably wouldn't renew.  But I have almost seven months to cool off from that experience and if something else doesn't happen in that time my guess is that I'll renew just to help support SL if nothing else.

Unlucky that sounds, but really believe that LL were slow to respond to your ARs at that time, because they were elsewhere deleting self-replicating prims. LL hate griefer attacks as much as we do, because they can put such a major strain on the servers, and years ago, you might recall, servers were actually taken out of action by particularly severe attacks. Things have got better.

My own experience was exceptionally good last week on four occasions, when all our ARs regarding griefer attacks were dealt with swiftly, one within four minutes.

Marigold Devin wrote:

Sneer all you want, JeanneAnne. 

All I do is point out the obvious. Call that sneering if you want...

Fact is that I can do everything on a free account that you can do on a paid one.

Fact is that when you pay for a premium account, pay upload fees or tier, or spend real money on $L you are contributing to the enrichment of corporate executives and shareholders in a corporation that exploits you and treats you badly. What you get in return is colored pixels you can have for free.

How is it rational to pay for something you can have for free?

Jeanne

Marigold Devin wrote:

Shame the Lindens don't seem to have opened Isle of View this year for the annual kiss-fest though - and there was I, dressed, lipsticked, and ready :matte-motes-kiss:

Oooooh.....Now what was I meaning to say? Oh, right. I pay quarterly too, and feel exactly the same way. I've not really needed support but two or three times but it was right there. I have land on the mainland so I don't have to abide by anybody's idea of appropriate building styles. Actually my house is very non-flamboyant; I just don't like being told what to do. Also I park my car on the lawn :-).

Yes, it's true my approximately 2.50USD per month go to a bunch of soul-robbing fasco-corp (or whatever it is) robbers, but you know when we're all air-kissing in those exclusive clubs that only we premiums can visit, it's SO worth it.

ps: to those of  you who are not premium: the 'exclusive clubs' bit was just my little joke. To the best of my knowledge there are none, although recently there have been sandboxes provided that are for premiums only, which is pretty cool.

i do every 3 months myself and get 400 a week..

i'll still keep paying it till this place closes i'm sure..even if i take a month or two off..it's still always been a nice place to come back to..

i just want them to do good so they can still be around..

i mainly get upset if i ever do at some things because  it hurts them..it sure isn't hurting me lol

i just like knowing it's here when i want to be here..there woudl be a void that needed to be filled for sure if it wasn't hehehe

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Marigold Devin wrote:

Oooooh.....Now what was I meaning to say? Oh, right. I pay quarterly too, and feel exactly the same way. I've not really needed support but two or three times but it was right there. I have land on the mainland so I don't have to abide by anybody's idea of appropriate building styles. Actually my house is very non-flamboyant; I just don't like being told what to do. Also I park my car on the lawn :-).

Yes, it's true my approximately 2.50USD per month go to a bunch of soul-robbing fasco-corp (or whatever it is) robbers, but you know when we're all air-kissing in those exclusive clubs that only we premiums can visit, it's SO worth it.

ps: to those of  you who are not premium: the 'exclusive clubs' bit was just my little joke. To the best of my knowledge there are none, although recently there have been sandboxes provided that are for premiums only, which is pretty cool.

Oi, you, that's actually MY lawn you've been parking on, and you've flattened my flowers :cattongue:

Seriously, though, mainland rules, I love the eclectic mix of building styles.

Premium Sandboxes rule too.

And those exclusive clubs aren't a joke as well you know !

As for me being all lipsticked and ready to go kissing at Isle of View, for dressed, I meant jammied, and lipsticked, wellllll ...

cuc 1.jpg

Ain't I pretty? And ain't cucumber just amazing?

"

Jeanne"

------------------------------------------------------------

You absolutely can do all those things with a free account.  Of course there are some things that have to fall into place in order for you to do "all those things".  Building requires you to have access to land that allows you to build.  You can rent from someone or you can visit a sandbox.  Renting requires that the person you rent from allows you to build.........you need his/her permission.  Along with that permission you must not build anything that the owner has objections to.....if you do build something the owner does not want built on his/her land then you can loose the ability to build anything at all (you're at that person's mercy).  You also have to pay the owner of the property lindens if you are renting.  That amount of lindens will almost always be more than the owner pays Linden Lab in tier (yeah, some generous owners allow people to build and, even, live on their property for absolutely free...........but those owners are few and far between).  That's not exactly free......it's usually much in excess of what you would pay if you were premium (without the conditions some third party resident places on your rights to the rented land).  If you choose, instead, to build on sandboxes, you really have to be careful about which sandbox you choose..........some private ones are okay I guess (I've never been to one) but you still have rules that a third party resident has placed on your use of their property.  And the Linden Lab provided sandboxes don't really have a very good reputation (how many threads and complaints about griefers distroying people's use of the sandboxes?).  So yes you certainly can do everything Marigold (and any other premium account can do........but not quite as easily).

I'm really glad you feel right at home on a basic account.  That "feeling right at home" is a gift that Linden Lab has given everyone with an account (basic or premium).  It also helps that most premiums make no distinction between basic and premium members...........until someone attempts to rub our noses in our membership (sort of what you are doing......for me it leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I hear the "sneering").  I guess I have to agree with Marigold's comment about you sneering.

"Why pay for something you can have free?"  No real reason at all.  But, remember, when it comes time for help from Linden Lab, you are a lower priority.  It's your choice, of course, but I have no sympathy when I read the threads about basics having problems getting support.......even when they try to convince me that they contribute as much or more than premiums.  Purchasing $L does not contribute to SL until those $L are cashed out or paid by a fee of some type to LL (uploads).  When the $L are cashed out LL only gets a percentage of the lindens that are cashed out (I believe it used to be 3% but it might be different now).  And a $L10 upload fee is $.04 USD   A thousand uploads grosses LL $40 USD......and out of that server space is taken with the item that was uploaded, bandwidth is used for the file to be transfered from the user's computer to the servers.......that stuff is not free and LL pays for it out of that $L10 they charged.  So, just how much is a basic account really contributing?  Not much.  Not much at all.  What you are doing is enjoying SL on the backs of other residents who do contribute to LL in a much larger way.........and all because Linden Lab allows you to do so.  Who else gives free accounts so much for nothing?

It would be nice if you actually thought about what LL gives away before you makes statements like this:

---------------------------------------------------------

"

All I do is point out the obvious. Call that sneering if you want...

Fact is that I can do everything on a free account that you can do on a paid one.

Fact is that when you pay for a premium account, pay upload fees or tier, or spend real money on $L you are contributing to the enrichment of corporate executives and shareholders in a corporation that exploits you and treats you badly. What you get in return is colored pixels you can have for free.

How is it rational to pay for something you can have for free?

Jeanne"

---------------------------------------------------------------------

A little harsh for someone who takes but gives very little (if anything at all) in return, herself.  You don't even give "colored pixels" for free.  I can't speak for Marigold (though I've dealt with her a few times and know she is not very much different from me on this subject) but, between the two quoted posts I pasted by you, you are not only sneering, you're being entirely disrespectful of those "corporated executives and shareholders(?) in a corporating that exploits you and treats you badly."  Without those executives and shareholders (?) you wouldn't have a Second Life account at all.......it's those people who have given the free account that you obviously enjoy (a thank you is more in order that a venomous attack like that).

I put a question mark (?) after shareholder because a shareholder is a stockholder.  Linden Lab is not a public corporation.  There are no stockholders to exploit you.  There are investors.....folks who invest but own no stock in a company.......they get their negotiated percentage of return for their investment whether or not LL makes a profit.  Sort of like a mortgage one might negotiate with a bank or lender.  It's not a shareholder though.

i can also go and drop 15,000 prims in a sandbox that nobody else is in..just about any time i choose..

have to love those premium sandboxes..they came in handy when i was living on a 1024..and still do since my sim is getting filled up on prims..and with so many of them being connected together.i can get on my super bike and really go for a good ride LOL

there are not many places i can get it to full speed without flying off the grid..lol

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

"

Jeanne"

------------------------------------------------------------

You absolutely can do all those things with a free account.

Stop right there.

That's all you need to say.

I don't have the patience to read thick following paragraphs of nonsense.

Yes, I can do everything in SL on a free account that you can do with a paid one.

That's the only thing that matters.

Please direct all your other blather at someone who cares.

Jeanne

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

Remember that when you need support and can't seem to get any. 
:)

Just saying.

I don't need any "support" Peggy.

SL either works for me or it doesn't.

If it does I have fun.

If it doesn't I move on to something else.

What's up with the likes of you who take a game so seriously?

I really don't understand this ..

It reeks of ... obsession.. or something, to me.

Don't you have a real life?

Jeanne

I got a real life.............I haven't logged in yet today (and that's not all that unusual for me).  When I log in I log in for fun only.....no business to take of, no "circle of friends" that I need to touch bases with, no anything of any value.  Just for fun.  When it works for me it's fun......which is almost all the time (last problem I had was a couple years ago....and got support in less than 15 minutes.  Problem solved).  It's like turning on my television and my cable is working.......a few times it's failed me (about a couple years ago was the last).  it there when I need or want it...........so has SL been for me. 

I really do have a real life...........I don't have time to constantly gripe about SL like some people.  I don't have time to "do business" in SL.  I don't "invest" in something that mere entertainment.  I pay for my entertainment, just I pay my cable bill.  :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4065 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.