Why info hubs

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4475 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Why do a lot of people hang about in info hubs, i just looked at one, i found all ages, i found the older ones hostile to any form of question and the younger ones not knowing what to do, i found a few heartbroken, plus a few pervs, but it was still a static group and a large one, why do you think this is happening, these static groups are not good for anyone.

I used to have the biggest fun with my SL sister at the infohubs. They indeed are a gathering place for all kinds of people and creatures so a great spot to hang out and meet new people. 

Not all people like clubbing or shopping in SL.. they like to chat, mix and mingle.

Also a lot of people do not have a home location and the infohubs are the first place they arrive to log in.

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with hubs.

From a business point of view there is every thing wrong with them, they are static, sl works by people moving about, if they all hang about in one spot and never move then the whole of SL follows suit, an example, if i tp to dance island there will be less people there than in a info hub, once it was the oppersite, why didnt you and your freinds choose a cafe or create your own meeting place.

They're a leftover from a bygone age. Once upon a time, a new resident would start on "Orientation Istand" with a brief tutorial about how to walk, fly and chat. Then they would move on to "Help Island" which had more info for newbies, as well as real Mentors who would ansewer questions. After that they would exit to the main grid and would start at one of those welcome areas.  They became gathering places, but being un-moderated they devolved into the cesspits of humanity that we see today.

Nowadays, new residents don't go to welcome areas at all (unless they specifically choose to do so) so there are more oldbies there than newbies now.

Lucinda Bulloch wrote:

Why do a lot of people hang about in info hubs, i just looked at one, i found all ages, i found the older ones hostile to any form of question and the younger ones not knowing what to do, i found a few heartbroken, plus a few pervs, but it was still a static group and a large one, why do you think this is happening, these static groups are not good for anyone.

I go to Waterhead regularly, I guess it's nostalgia. It is the welcome area where I grew up as a noobie in 2007 and met lots of people I still speak too. When I was a SL Mentor, Waterhead was my spot to hang out and help new arrivals.

I still do that, just because I like it. It is one of those places that hardly changed over the years - oldskool building and newbs that arrive as a clueless as I was in 2007. (but I have to say, the new noobs look way better than me with my systemhair and flipflops.....)

Yeah, there is a 'gang' of some sort hanging out on the roundabout, but if you don't bother them..they don't bother you. I suppose we all, even infohub-gangs, like to have a place in SL :).

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Obviously there is a need for a loitering ordinance.

lol

and a vagrancy ordinance. vagrants are awful, like they always digging in the rubbish bins of SL for freebies. and they ugly. all blinged up like they are with their two hairs on their heads and shoes 6 sizes to small for their feets. they should be made to get a job and smarten themselfs up

linden should chuck them in the blake sea and give them a bar of soap and not let them out till they not smell anymore

jejejejeje (;

sorry i had to much coffee (:

+

serious tho. the infohubs not the problem. linden had a solution once for new ppl. welcome Island then orientation/discovery Island. linden decide that  the o/d part not required anymore. i think they was wrong about that

Make a new alt and once you get inworld, click the home button.

Next, get back on an account and go to a sim that will soon crash (ok, you can't predict when that will happen, so this part might take some time).

Now you know why people hang out in infohubs.

There are the above two, and then there are the people who got 'swallowed up' by the allure of access to the 'free crowds' that are caused by the above two... (for a variety of reasons - easy chat access, easy grief access, easy to find newbies to help, easy to get an audience, easy to be an audience).

I'm really not sure how to react to the idea that people should change their social behavior to suit your business models.  If people are at infohubs instead of your business, it's because for some reason they prefer to be there.  Perhaps it's because they are too lazy to look for other locations and there's nothing you can do to get them to your business, but that's FINE.  They have a right to be that way.

I found it sad, I could almost feel it, most I wanted to say it will be fine, maybe that is a norm and people that role play are different, they could do as they are doing but in a role play situation, what would make them do that, I felt opportunities were lost, I could think of a few things to liven them up, the lindens could have random paper chases with a small prize at the end, to take them all round the info hubs, a small percentage would drop of and explore other places just by the fact that they have started to move. They will see thing like the Blake sea and all the other places the lindens have made, this will increase property prices around all hubs, they should allow advertising to, one does not want to force them one only wishes to raise curiosity in the corner of the eye.

Lucinda Bulloch wrote:

Do you hang out in them?

Twice I've owned land next to them. Once just across a sim border and once next door. Have tried hanging out in them, as helping new folks is something I enjoy doing (thus my blog) - but the overall crowd has never been to my appeal.

As the nature of them eventually attracts a regular crowd in addition to the 'crash and newbie' victims - they do each have their own character. The one in Isabel is where I most recently had nearby land - and its regulars for a time were much nicer than many others. Due to the presence of 'The Shelter', that one had or has a particular culture of 'helping newbies' among a larger set (but not all) of its persistent regulars. And scripts being turned off there has limited griefing (though I've seen some get around that).

Rene Erlanger wrote:

Amazing.....and yet there are potentially 30,000 sims to explore!

Hamlet Au, on his blog, posted up a few times in November / December about statistics that suggest that most people in SL never leave the sims they're in. Certainly I've spent days at a time in one place. But yes - exploring is a lot more interesting.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Rene Erlanger wrote:

Amazing.....and yet there are potentially 30,000 sims to explore!

Hamlet Au, on his blog, posted up a few times in November / December about statistics that suggest that most people in SL never leave the sims they're in. Certainly I've spent days at a time in one place. But yes - exploring is a lot more interesting.

That's always been the draw for me in Second Life....exploring!

Some people love attending in-world concerts or shopping or roleplay.....exploring was always my SL activity. Even when I have busy periods in SL...i'll take some time out to do a bit of sim-hopping. :)

i used to spend part of my day at one that some friends lived by..they used to go down there and meet the new people coming in..also try to answer any questions they may have had when they came in or helped with whatever they needed..quite a few stuck around to help later when they became more experienced as well..

you meet a lot of good people at them as well..

there were new people that just came in acting like it was a shoot'em up playstation game..but we had fun with them as well hehehe

Warhammer i believe was the info hub..something like that..war something lol

i met a lot of friends there that went on to have really good second lives..one ended up owning over 100 sims..lots of them were into building and scripting already from other programs ..some were just wanting help with making a nice avatar..

i think when someone first gets here ..thats the best time to really get a true feel of them before sl gets a hold on them..

sure there could be all this flabber jabber going on in voice..they won't remember that if there is someone there willing to take the time to help them..most times they never forget those that were there first for them..

i guess it all comes down to how you look at things?do you see a bunch of trash or do you see some potential in the mix?

there are a lot of IM's going on in info hubs..so really we are not getting a full view of what is really going on at them unless we could hear all things that go on in them..

Lucinda Bulloch wrote:

Hi, yes you have it in your picks, in fact it is all you have in your picks, made me curious, so you could say it was you that started this thread.

i don't use my land for my picks..i used orientation island because it was not my land url..lots of people use different urls than their own land..

it helps from people dropping in unexpectedly..

so no..it was you that started this thread..

whatever that even means lol

I have been away from this forum for 2 years, when I came back I noticed it had changed a lot, including the people, at first I thought you all plants just to fill it out, linden pretending to be residents, so I looked at your sl profiles, to see if you were all real, I found lots of you have these info hubs as you picks, and you had nothing but info hubs, so still not sure if any of you are real, well, would not lindens have info hubs as picks, i would never, anyway so I looked round them and at the kind of people at them, so led to my question why have you all got info hubs as picks,

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4475 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.