Mean minded penny pinching

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4487 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yesterday we abandoned large chunks of our region...the tiers are too high and all the evidence to me suggests they'll be increased before reduced despite continuing demands from many long term sl land owners for their reduction. No one is buying full regions - apart from penny pinching land dealers offering less than peanuts per sq metre. Lindens continue to insult long term customers while trying everything to lure new customers. You can't even air your opinions about shabby customer treatment on the forum without getting your posts removed and lets face it conditions in world get worse rather than better, more crashes more lag.

To put it in a nutshell land ownership certainly isnt worth the while anymore.

We owned our region 12 months almost and put a lot of effort buying it up piece by piece. But Lindens final action has to cap it for sheer mean penny pinching. The minute we abandoned parts of our region Lindens immediately slapped up ban lines  - classic.

If people keep abandoning land Im wondering soon if its lindens policy now to fence it off ...how anyone is going to get anywhere in sl......

As soon as it was abandoned the banlines appeared. It was set for 0L so no one can buy it I don't htink. The really annoying thing is that we kept 3 or 4 areas because we had things built on them. We've had to take it all away because we can longer get to the differen tthings we had set up.

For some reason too the lag increased dramatically when the lines appeared. I assume a Linden will set it for sale at some point but if banlines go up everytime someone abandons then it'll make it difficult to move around the mainland soon.

Maybe the ban lines are up for maintenance?  Or, better yet, maybe LL set up banlines for a given time in case the person abandoning land did it in error?

Having owned a full mainleand sim since at least 2008, I too would like to see the tier go down.  I know folks with private islands would as well.  But, I doubt you will see tier go down any time soon in this economy since tier directly impacts LL revenue.  Many folks I have met are not willing to invest in land, premium accounts, or, even spending money in SL., so cutting tier is not going to happen. 

Maelstrom Janus wrote:

Yesterday we abandoned large chunks of our region...the tiers are too high and all the evidence to me suggests they'll be increased before reduced despite continuing demands from many long term sl land owners for their reduction. No one is buying full regions - apart from penny pinching land dealers offering less than peanuts per sq metre. Lindens continue to insult long term customers while trying everything to lure new customers. You can't even air your opinions about shabby customer treatment on the forum without getting your posts removed and lets face it conditions in world get worse rather than better, more crashes more lag.

We owned our region 12 months almost and put a lot of effort buying it up piece by piece. But Lindens final action has to cap it for sheer mean penny pinching. The minute we abandoned parts of our region Lindens immediately slapped up ban lines  - classic.

If people keep abandoning land Im wondering soon if its lindens policy now to fence it off ...how anyone is going to get anywhere in sl......

Was "land ownership" ever really worth it?

What if people went on a tier strike? Just not pay tier untli LL addresses the issues. Give them no choice but to fix all the things wrong with SL or go out of business. This may be the only way they're ever going to listen.

Jeanne

Morgaine Christensen wrote:

Or, better yet, maybe LL set up banlines for a given time in case the person abandoning land did it in error?

I can't confirm that, but it would be my guess, too.  The auto-set-for-sale process is a little mysterious to me, still, but I think for the first 24 hours (?) of abandonment, the land is automatically set for sale at L$0 to the previous owner (no clue how that works if group-owned), before being set for sale to Anybody for L$1/sq.m.  

(Full sims rarely sit at L$1/sq.m. for long, even in the crappiest parts of Mainland, but I gather the abandoned part isn't a full sim in this case.)

In order to recoup some of the 2900 dollars we've paid to LL over the past twelve months (Ive been paying a lot longer but got my first full region with cully last year) we may start charging for visits and starting up a guided  archaeological tour of the remains of abandoned SL........

I have had to abandon several parcels (various reasons, redzone store next door hassling my customers, moving to better locations, etc.) and not once have I observed ban lines pop up. Sounds like maybe a defect in the abandoning code exists and you should report it to LL via a support ticket or jira defect report.

LL did not put ban lines on that land, you did. You have your land in that region with public access off, group access on, and some allow and ban lists.  Your settings have been preserved, but temporarily applied to the new owner Governor Linden. They should be cleared out after the abandon grace period, when the land goes up for public sale.

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

LL did not put ban lines on that land, you did. You have your land in that region with public access off, group access on, and some allow and ban lists.  Your settings have been preserved, but temporarily applied to the new owner Governor Linden. They should be cleared out after the abandon grace period, when the land goes up for public sale.

That would account for it then. All is well :)

Of course we might take Tefnut back - when we first bought the region we loved it but it would take a major slashing of tier fees and possibly one or two other changes in lindens policy and we all know how ready lindens are to listen to their customers....

course they may throw in a free car  or some similar piece of useless tat to long term customers with freebies pouring out of their inventories...oh hang on dont want to go mad...maybe they'll stretch to free roller blades....

Maelstrom Janus wrote:

If this problem happens to someone who starts a group protesting ban lines on neighboring property while having them on his own property next to a public road, I believe it's technically called "karma."

All I know is I've owned severeal different kinds of  property ....mainland AND private region....and it did in fact happen for me the same way the O.P. stated; at the point the land was let go of ban lines appeared . I didn't want it back or anything just thought it odd and didn't understand how anyone would rebuy it if they couldnt land there.

I suspect the OP had banlines on the lot to begin with, and once they were no longer the owner got hit with their own banlines.

I've met many people who didn't know they'd set up their own land with such lines.

I myself abandoned a series of small lots recently in a sim and not one of them had banlines go up. Of course I was also careful to set up the perms on them before abandoning so that there would be an auto-return on, but basic rezzing enabling, and object entry, so vehicles would be launchable from them.

When you abandon a lot, it keeps whatever perms you had on it...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4487 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.