Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Venus Petrov

Suggestions for typing animation?

Recommended Posts

When I rezzed in 2007, everyone had the default typing animation and most wanted to get rid of it.  It was a sure sign you were a n00b if you used it.  So, years go by and now more are using some variation of the typing animation.  I have poked about just a bit looking for some and they are not easy for me to find.

Is anyone using a typing animation they like and, if so, where did you get it?  Please do not suggest the default.  I know where to 'get' that one.  Thank you in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I've seen so far is either a AO with a stand animation that's higher priority than the typing animation, or has a typing animation of it's own. In the latter case, you can usually buy the typing animation seperately and placing it in a AO of your choice.

What I like though, are the typing objects that appear when you type. Quite a few places got those, Grendel's Children got the cheapest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't even know these were available since I have never seen one used, but some of the ones on Marketplace place made me laugh:

Cute:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Curio-Obscura-Whiteboard-Typing-Override/614989

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Bubble-Blower-boxed/105269

 

LOL:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/SA-Chill-Bong-Typing-AO/2378837

 

I might have to figure out how to use a weapon if someone used this on me:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Boob-Typing-AO/488505

 

If you find one you like let me know, too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh Cinn!  Thank you for the MP links.  The bong one looks promising...hehe.  The boob one, not so much.

I was told once that AKEYO has at least one typing animation but I cannot seem to find it in the shop.  I am old school and tend to do most of my shopping inworld. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vista Animations has several very nice ones that do not have cheesy mouth movements.  You can buy typing anims that have very subtle hand motions, ones that wave your arms excitedly, and four or five gradations in between.  Like you, I turned off the goofy default typing anim years ago, but these Vista ones have made  me change my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Venus Petrov wrote:

I was told once that AKEYO has at least one typing animation but I cannot seem to find it in the shop.  I am old school and tend to do most of my shopping inworld. 

i have the AKEYO Kim Chan AO that has at least 2 typing animations in it you can get one of them from the AO animation vendors i think you have to be demoing the aimation to purchase it. i don't use the typing animation myself i'm not a fan of them but as typing anims go it's decent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also check out ORACUL at kuso,kuso sim. They have lots of funny and cute typing animation and they are really cheap like 10L per animation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Venus Petrov wrote:

Thank you Magnek.  I prefer one that does not have you holding something (except perhaps a bong (!).  So, I eagerly anticipate more ideas.

 

Its a shame you're looking for something that you don't have to hold something - some of my favorites are ones that pop something interesting out while you're typing.

I'm a typing animation-aholic myself... I get the majority of them from the marketplace but have found some in interesting shops as well - ** Cute Bytes ** has some fun hand puppets, Oracul has some in their AOs which are excellent and reasonably priced. *Boof  has drumsticks, rubik's cubes, magic 8 ball, butterflies and a lot more. Catnip has an adorable selection if you've never been there...

My partner has one that has him putting a gun to his head, sometimes not so funny, and other times hilarious.

And.. of course.. there are typing AO bongs...

Good luck in your search!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Venus Petrov wrote:


Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

I use a Blackberry myself. I also have a pair of hand puppets.

But do your puppets get along?

Well... they communicate very well together. :smileywink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always use typing animations in local. Do you know how many people seem it's their job to tell me I can "turn it off?" LOL. Erm, I say, "I know that... But I like it."  I like to know someone is going to speak. I think it is polite in public/local. Yay for typing animations! i can't remember where I got all mine. I pick them up here and there. AKEYO for sure, tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Faye Feldragonne wrote:

I always use typing animations in local. Do you know how many people seem it's their job to tell me I can "turn it off?" LOL. Erm, I say, "I know that... But I like it."  I like to know someone is going to speak. I think it is polite in public/local. Yay for typing animations! i can't remember where I got all mine. I pick them up here and there. AKEYO for sure, tho.

I used to tell people that, but only if they were really new... not so much anymore.

I've recently started using the bubble chat option and find I like it a lot.  I have my viewer set to show names temporarily, that way names only show up when someone starts typing something.  I've just started doing this but, so far, it seems to be working well.

I keep my typing animation turned off, myself.

...Dres

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Dresden Ceriano wrote:

I keep my typing animation turned off, myself.

...Dres

So you want to make believe that you are a tummy speaker, eh? :smileywink:   Turning typing animation off equates to if in RL you stare in the distance and don't move you mouth at all when speaking with somebody. :matte-motes-bored:

Personally I like to keep typing animation on. It gives feedback is the the person typing or not. It's nice to know that the other person is actually producing text especially in laggy situations. Typing animation is not some "noob" feature that we should turn off and be ashamed of. It's a nice feedback feature, IMO. :matte-motes-tongue:

 

 

PS.

I also like when chatting with somebody that the avatar actually looks at me. Lots of animations have the neck locked so that the head is not free to turn. Then some intentionally turn the feature off so that the avatar does not look at the target. Arrgghhh... silly communication! :matte-motes-dont-cry:

Turning off typing animation and not looking at the avatar sends a message "Couldn't care less what you're saying, yawn". It feels like chatting with a zombie! This is how I see it. Others might feel differently though. :matte-motes-wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Coby Foden wrote:


Typing animation is not some "noob" feature that we should turn off and be ashamed of. It's a nice feedback feature, IMO. :matte-motes-tongue:


The point in my OP was that using the default typing aninmation a few years ago *was* considered n00bish.  Things change.  That people now use a typing animation or not is their choice.  Back when I was new, most wanted to suppress it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Storm Clarence wrote:

PM Medhue as well.  Medhue participates in this forum and is a wonderful and trusted personality.  

Thank you for the suggestion Storm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have problems with objects appearing while I type. It's maybe my lame connection or lag, but what use is the flashy gadget when it only apppears for a split second on screen; particularly when I give short answers and comments and don't type a full novel? So for me I don't suppress the typing anymore but am using just the boring old invisible typewriter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Orca Flotta wrote:.

.. but what use is the flashy gadget when it only apppears for a split second on screen; particularly when I give short answers and comments and don't type a full novel? ....


I guess, personally, I like that it can be a conversation starter "What's that thing that pops up? how does it work? Where did you get it?!" etc etc... 

But then, I'm a big fan of random items in SL that make people talk :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Coby Foden wrote:


Dresden Ceriano wrote:

I keep my typing animation turned off, myself.

...Dres

So you want to make believe that you are a tummy speaker, eh? :smileywink:   Turning typing animation off equates to if in RL you stare in the distance and don't move you mouth at all when speaking with somebody. :matte-motes-bored:

Personally I like to keep typing animation on. It gives feedback is the the person typing or not. It's nice to know that the other person is actually producing text especially in laggy situations. Typing animation is not some "noob" feature that we should turn off and be ashamed of. It's a nice feedback feature, IMO. :matte-motes-tongue:

 

 

PS.

I also like when chatting with somebody that the avatar actually looks at me. Lots of animations have the neck locked so that the head is not free to turn. Then some intentionally turn the feature off so that the avatar does not look at the target. Arrgghhh... silly communication! :matte-motes-dont-cry:

Turning off typing animation and not looking at the avatar sends a message "Couldn't care less what you're saying, yawn". It feels like chatting with a zombie! This is how I see it. Others might feel differently though. :matte-motes-wink:

To be quite honest, If I'm talking to someone that doesn't have the imagination it takes to realize I'm interested in what they have to say, simply because my avatar doesn't look them in the eye, that's probably not a person I really want to be speaking to in the first place.

As far as knowing whether a person is typing or not, I spelled out, explicitly, how I go about dealing with that.  How someone else chooses to set their viewer is of no concern to me, what-so-ever.  If they have a problem with the way I choose to set mine... so be it.

So far, I haven't run into any difficulties.

...Dres

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...