Where all the African Americans?? lol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2209 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Tari Landar wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

Yes, the child avi things is weird, but lately it's been some new craze around SL.  When I first joined, almost no child avi's ever; now I see at least one or two a day starting about a month ago. 

You haven't been in sl very long then. Child avs have been around for years, they aren't some new fad. Thousands and thousands of them are all over the grid. You just clearly have not been where they are. Most child avs tend to stick to areas designed for them. So unless you go there, you won't likely see too many. So it really depends on where you wander on this great big grid.

The ageplay thing isn't new either. It's disgusting, against TOS and a whole lot of other words I can't say here, but unfortunately it's not new. Fortunately, it's something they crack down on and do a pretty darn good job of it (I give LL props when due). Also, thankfully the majority of child avs think the same of that sort of nasty crap, as the rest of us do, and they avoid it too.

Oh.  I was thinking child avatars were showing up all over the place either because of Halloween and perhaps free child avatars being given out.  Some of the places I go to (if not most) don't allow child avatars, so what a lot of people behind the avi's were doing were putting on a child-sized shape with their normal skin, and they were all female with boobs and make-up in child-sized avi's, dancing with 7 foot tall male avi's.  I think they are doing this to try to say they are short in rl, and that way they can get around the no child avatar rule.  It seems strange to me, as it looks pointless and the child-sized avatar has to dance practically in the air with a 7-foot tall male avi, but does not look like a midget shape; it simply looks child sized (very short).  So, this is kind of new what I am seeing lately, as no child avi's are allowed, but these way, way short avi's with boobs and make-up are. 

Replying to my own post, heh. Also meant to say that I'm not anti child av. I have child av friends that I deeply respect, and I understand why they do what they do. Its freeing to be a kid again It's not my SL thing but I don't fault them. They stick to the TOS just like I do, to each his own as long as you play by the rules. If they are out there breaking TOS then like anyone else, I'd say that should be dealt with but not just because they chose a child av.

Edit for typo

Treasure Ballinger wrote:

Replying to my own post, heh. Also meant to say that I'm not anti child av. I have child av friends that I deeply respect, and I understand why they do want they do. It's not my SL thing but I don't fault them. They stick to the TOS just like I do, to each his own as long as you play by the rules. If they are out there breaking TOS then like anyone else, I'd say that should be dealt with but not just because they chose a child av.

If my experience is any indicator, adult avis acting childishly vastly outnumber child avis. Marianne McCann is a wonderful embodiment of childhood revisited. I'd welcome that bespectacled li'l rascalette anytime, anywhere.

• Like 1

There IS a SL movement afoot, called 1:1 that wants everyone to scale down and be more RL sized. Maybe that's what you're seeing. These avs don't have child bodies, just small, adult bodies. My Treasure shape is 5'8"which is kinda short for SL but I'm comfortable in it. It no way looks like a child though.

Why?  I wouldn't want to join that movement as I'd have to change all the shapes I've already made, and I wouldn't do that, and also the male avi's are NOT scaling down so why?   And all the new people are not scaling down.

Anyhow, most of the avi's who are in this movement then do look like child avi's from far away though, but once close they have boobs, make-up and are trying to look grown up all the while dancing with a giant; however, they still look way too little, imo. 

Why are you doing this?  Start a thread about it.  I'm curious as to why, since I won't be changing my shapes for mesh clothing items, let alone this. 

As far as sweet child avi's, there is one club I go to once in awhile that allows child avi's, even though I think they are not allowed on moderate.  Though I'm not sure about that.  Heck, it's their club and we are only dancing, but I think the adult-child sized avi's make no sense.

being in an interracial place its not what she is looking for. she is looking for a place that she can find her comfort zone, but i dont think she is going to find it, because of the Community Guidelines

---------------------------------

Harassment: Harassment of any kind will not be tolerated. Harassment can include text or images that contain racist, threatening, abusive or hateful material.

--------------------------------

and Terms of Service

8.2 (vi) Post, display or transmit Content that is obscene, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;

if someone makes a sim that only black people are allowed, they are getting risked of being accused of racism by some people that may get offended feeling discriminated.

Interesting discussion. I often ( not exclusiveley ) use an African-American avatar.

Why?

Cause it looks good...and I love the detailing of the skin.

Also...many of my musical heroes are Black....so who wouldnt want to look like their heroes now and again.

I remember a thread about this years ago on the old forums...when many Black in RL peeps said they used white AV's...this was followed by the usual howls of outrage and remorse from guilty white peeps.

The blackscene in SL revolved around music venues...epsecially hip-hop. Which is fine and all...but many of my black friends in RL wouldnt be found in a Hip-Hop Joint.....more likely to find them at the Opera or a Jazz gig.

I dont feel any pressure when I am using my black avi to speak ebonics...I speak the same way whatever Avatar I am wearing.

I also have an asian avi...a fat baldy white avi...and a rather rugged looking white avi...who looks like he just got out of jail.

I wish more people used African looking skins...it would add more variety to SL.

Why dont you give it a try...Black is Beautiful....you do wanna be beautiful...Right???

Canoro Philipp wrote:

being in an interracial place its not what she is looking for. she is looking for a place that she can find her comfort zone, but i dont think she is going to find it, because of the Community Guidelines

---------------------------------

Harassment
: Harassment of any kind will not be tolerated. Harassment can include text or images that contain
racist
, threatening, abusive or hateful material.

and Terms of Service

8.2 (vi) Post, display or transmit Content that is obscene, hateful, or
racially
, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;

if someone makes a sim that only black people are allowed, they are getting risked of being accused of racism by some people that may get offended feeling discriminated.

the reason she couldn't find what she was looking for under black people was because those clubs are interracial clubs..

blackhouse  and annaconda and alomst all of them are interracial clubs..she wanted to know where the black  crowds are haniging out..most  are hanging in the interracial clubs..

((ETA: mainly this next part is all about advertising and not who or what someone can actually allow into their own sim..just what is advertised..because sim owners can allow who they want..they just can't advertise to the public something that would insult a real life race..))

the clubs that may say black men for black women is not being racist..

saying no white people allowed or no black people allowed or no native americans allowed would be..and i believe that would have to be them referring to RL people and not avatars..

if they said no black or white or native avatars..thats not racist..thats rp

8.2 says this

8.2 You will not post or transmit prohibited Content, including any Content that is illegal, harassing or violates any person's rights.

@Orfeu: Your comments also brought up some points that have me re-thinking this whole creating a terrific black avatar. I love shopping for skins and new looks so this is going to be quite fun. 

@Treasure: In whatever avatar style I am in, I'm going to check out the sites you mentioned. They sound interesting.

@ Cato: LoL! Heh. I may check out those groups myself! I love your sense of humor.

I still don't get the original intent of this thread but I found it to be an interesting and useful discussion.

[if I haven't been prohibited from posting here, I think I'll share my new look in the Vanity section in the future.]

@Ellyn It is not that easy to find really good Black skins in SL....many skin makers just use their normal Brown-skinned templates and darken the tone a little. If I may presumptuously mark your card...Chip Midnights are excellent....and Second Skin Labs have a beautiful female Black skin. In the old days when these 2 Luminaries of the SL SKin trade used to contribute to these forums...they often spoke about how getting a Black Skin right was the toughest challenge for a skin maker....Way more work for a smaller profit. Neither of my suggestions are at the cheaper end of the market...indeed they are very expensive....but their work has a dedication to excellence that few on the grid can emulate. And yes kitting out a Black Avatar is super-fun. ;)

@Orefeu: Yes, I've already run into the skin tone problem. My favorite designers of the lighter tones fall into what you describe--just darkening the light tones. That doesn't work. I've tried some of their demos and they look muddy--beautifully rendered and falling short of "right". Oh well, I guess one can't be good at everything!

One that is in the "possible" bin is from The Body Co.  I will add your suggestions and THANK YOU for those!  I prefer quality in skins and am quite particular.  I have a couple of clients from work that I'm loosely wanting to base my look upon.

Ceka Cianci wrote:

have you tried looking under interracial instead of black people?

That's just a code-word for racist exploitative sex films...

- And is how it gets used in SL.

Walk into those places and its all 'BIG BLACK MF'ers with 14m long prim "attachments" pounding little dainty white female avatars screaming 'Oh help me from the n-word.'

Or...

little white boys with 'big chunky black mommas'...

I doubt anyone in any of those sims is anything but white... Or has some serious self-hate issues if not.

- This coming from a person who is multi-racial, if you want to know what inspired me to try that search term...

He's sayin that an ugly brotha that is still intelligent isn't getting any action inworld, because he's ugly, even though he's educated and eloquent.   That the SL women he's come across are looking for 'pretty' black men.

That must have come after the part about his fancy tongue. That's where I stopped reading, going into mental-image land instead. 

:matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

One reason many minorities such as myself often shy away from "games" like this is the over-preponderance of white-dominated stereotypes makes us rather uneasy.

Just breezing through these forums, especially the avatar forum where people posts pics, and its overwelmingly a majority of very pale caucasians of a certain narrow ethnotype. And that becomes a trend everywhere in SL.

One has to work it to find things like skins/shapes that are not that ethnotype.

Conversation / dialog gets so dominated by the assumptions of that cultural group. And reactions can often be hostile when you try to introduce another angle.

When non-white representations come up, they are either stereotypes by and for the whites, or from among the international community (the Japanese sims for example) and unfriendly for similar reasons (the Japanese sims often seem even less welcoming of a non-white PoV than the white sims...).

- This is a general 'gaming communities' comment, and not limited to SL. SL is pretty blatent about it though. And it'd take me more than a few minutes to properly express what I'm referring to.

Really.  Well I have no reason to not believe you.  My SL doesn't include places like that so I wouldn't know.  If that's the case then my interpretation of what the OP was looking for was totally off.  Since I don't go to places like that (I'm not much of a partier, there's lots to do in SL besides clubbing) then perhaps I misunderstood the entire intent of the post, I pretty much took it at face value.

@Pussycat

I'm reading your posts with great interest. I totally understand what you are saying and what you are saying is blatantly obvious to anyone walking around SL. I can't speak to the gaming community at large but have no doubt you are correct about that as well.

I'm very curious as to your opinion about a RL white with an avatar of a different ethnicity. Let's stipulate no gross overly simplified stereotypes. Would you, personally find it offensive? Just curious. I'm finding this discussion one of the more mentally stimulating ones in the forums at the moment.

The Japanese disability related sims in SL have been very friendly and forthcoming to the Virtual Ability community, attending our functions, inviting us to theirs, sharing their culture with us.  I don't find what you describe to be true at all, in my own experience,  but again you're talking about a different type of activity than I am, and possibly your comments are more majority related.  It's just not what I see.  So we will agree to disagree, because we are coming from different places.  

I don't shy away from venues like SL, which you call a game but is more than that to a disabled, bed bound person typing with their feet.  Matter of perspective I suppose.  But that's an old disagreement, 'game vs social venue' and you are entitled to your opinion.  It doesn't affect me.   I realize people use SL as a game, possibly 'most' people.   And that's fine, it's just not 'my' SL.   The SL you describe sounds rather awful to be frank.  If that was all it was, I don't think I'd have stayed, can go to RL for that.  The Japanese people that I know in SL, know that I am black in RL, and have never treated me as less than..............

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2209 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.