When did you stop being a newbie?

Oryion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Having finally shaken off my newbieness, I felt it may be valuable to all those who are still finding their way, to share some tips so you can feel at home a bit quicker! There's a lot of things I've learnt by chance so thought I'd pop these useful nuggets here rather than let newcomers flail in the same way I did when I first joined SL :)
Firstly, when I came to SL I thought my avatar was rockin' and couldn't understand why no one really wanted me around. Finally, someone was kind enough to point out my skin was awful. By having a realistic skin on your avatar, you look like you know what you're doing, not to mention stylish :) I soon discovered awesome skins don't come cheap, but there are lovely people out there who will gladly give you a spare. If you see a skin you like on someone, just tell them! You never know, they may give you a copy!
When it comes to outfits, lucky chairs are where it's at. For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, lucky chairs give away items for free! They display a letter and if your name begins with that letter, you can sit in the chair and claim the prize! I had to figure this out on my own so thought I'd include it :)
Having an active AO also helps your avatar look super awesome. This animates your avatar, making it stand or move in a particular way. Most SLers are more than happy to share the ones they have, so don't be afraid to ask!
The final thing that helped me shake my newbieness was knowing how to emote. This is when your chat is displayed in italics to describe an action. For example, 'Oryion giggled.' Just type '/me giggled' and it will display as 'your name' giggled. Easy!
So at what point did other SLers shake off their newbie shackles? :D

Oryion wrote:

Having finally shaken off my newbieness, I felt it may be valuable to all those who are still finding their way, to share some tips so you can feel at home a bit quicker! There's a lot of things I've learnt by chance so thought I'd pop these useful nuggets here rather than let newcomers flail in the same way I did when I first joined SL
:)

Firstly, when I came to SL I thought my avatar was rockin' and couldn't understand why no one really wanted me around. Finally, someone was kind enough to point out my skin was awful. By having a realistic skin on your avatar, you look like you know what you're doing, not to mention stylish
I soon discovered awesome skins don't come cheap, but there are lovely people out there who will gladly give you a spare. If you see a skin you like on someone, just tell them! You never know, they may give you a copy!

When it comes to outfits, lucky chairs are where it's at. For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, lucky chairs give away items for free! They display a letter and if your name begins with that letter, you can sit in the chair and claim the prize! I had to figure this out on my own so thought I'd include it

Having an active AO also helps your avatar look super awesome. This animates your avatar, making it stand or move in a particular way. Most SLers are more than happy to share the ones they have, so don't be afraid to ask!

The final thing that helped me shake my newbieness was knowing how to emote. This is when your chat is displayed in italics to describe an action. For example, 'Oryion giggled.' Just type '/me giggled' and it will display as 'your name' giggled. Easy!

So at what point did other SLers shake off their newbie shackles?
:D

Hi Oryion!  So glad you are starting to adjust to this wacky world called Secondlife.  As for me, I don't think I will every get out of my noob stage.  HEHE!  I still Type in the wrong windows, forget to turn of AO when sittting, and all sorts of stuff.  I am the oldest Noob in SL!  LOL!  Great post!  Keep it up!  Far out!

Peace!

Always good to see people offering help to newbies, though your info about skins is not very accurate. When you buy a decent skin it will either be "no copy" or "no transfer" (usually no transfer), so people cannot simply be nice and give you a copy of their skin.  They are lots of fairly decent freebie skins out there that people do often give away so you were probably given one of those & some of the skins that you find in your "initial outfits" in your library are awesome compared to past newbie skins.(though they do have modesty underwear on them so they aren`t always practical). Most of the top skin creators do offer at least one free skin at their stores so its worth checking around.

I`m not sure that lucky chair hopping is an indicator of non-newbness lol but I`m glad you are having fun with it & that you no longer feel like a newbie. :)

Oh I dunno Peewe. I am nearly 3 years old, sometimes make my own clothes and furnishings, know how to do most stuff but I'll still hop on a lucky chair or join a hunt. I've had some fabulous free stuff over the years and groups such as fabfreesl and the like are just fun on top.

I like any way to find new places. I also get a kick out of sitting on a crappy lucky chair coz I'm the only E in the room and the other guys don't have to wait 20 minutes to flip it again.

• Get out of public orientation/welcome areas FAST
  • Go to NCI, The Shelter, Caledon Oxbridge or another helper organisation
  • LEARN the basics of SL at those places - put some effort in, even if you aren't doing a class or two
  • Tour the freebie places
  • Try to resist grabbing all the freebies you can; inventory-sorting is SL's dullest chore :-(
  • Learn to dance
  • Try (it's confusing) to understand how avatars, attachments, animations, gestures, objects, vehicles, sounds, particles, etc. etc. fit together to make the world
  • At least try making something so you know what's involved

I have been in SL for over 4 1/2 years now (OMG!) and there are still things I learn.  Just a few months ago I learned it was easier to work underwater (for example, dividing parcels) by derendering the water.  How silly is that? I got a good laugh out of not knowing what should have been obvious.

I would caution you about accepting copies of things unless the giver knows they are freebies.  There are others out there who copy the hard work of creators and give them away as freebies.

So, to answer your question, I can certainly feel like a newbie on occasion.  And, that is fine with me.

I'm loving this thread.

I am still a newb too. Every day is a schoolday for me and that's why I enjoy it.

Be careful about free gifts from other avatars. Some of that stuff could be electronically stolen from someone. The person who gives it to you may have no idea, but it can be taken away from you at anytime. It can also get you into trouble. It rarely does, but rarely is not never.

Oryion, You must visit Crave. They do fantastic christmas lucky chairs, and they are normally surrounded by people because the outfits are great. I think they do Hallowe'en too but I can't be sure.

You stop being a newbie when you can no longer remember just how many times you've seen this subject in the forums  ;)

But seriously, I'm very happy to see the vast majority of responses saying they are still newbies.  I feel that when I stop calling myself a newbie I cut myself off from discovery.  Most of my one year in SL and similiar grids I've spent building and had allowed myself to think I knew all there was to know about building, then I realised a really simple way to do something in one prim that I had been using four prims to do.  DUH!

And wether it is "newb" or "noob", what's the point?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.