When did you stop being a newbie?

Oryion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4597 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

@Stella: according to Spike Milligan, "There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in.  The holes are small, that's why rain is thin".  Now it's cracked too?  OMG The sky really is falling!!!!!

I'm laughing so hard right now! I read and reread your Milligan quote trying to figure out what the heck it had to do with my lolcat pic. Finally, I realized it was referring to the Cohen quote in my sig and cracked up.

I probably completely stopped being percieved as a newbie when I finally got a better computer, and stopped bumping into things all the time because my frame rate was too low to move accurately! At 5 FPS I really couldn't do much in SL other than carefully sit down and text chat.

For most other things, I did my homework before I joined, so I never did a lot of the "silly newbie mistakes", and I paid for and wore a good avatar within minutes of arriving in-world.

that's an easy question....

... when you can do it as good or better than the majority of people around you.

the good news is that's easy to do if you hang out with in newbie areas, the bad news is, if you hang out with oldbies, you'll be a newbie for a long time (but you'll also learn more and pass up the other crowd way faster.)

Void Singer wrote:

... when you can do it as good or better than the majority of people around you.

the good news is that's easy to do if you hang out with in newbie areas, the bad news is, if you hang out with oldbies, you'll be a newbie for a long time (but you'll also learn more and pass up the other crowd way faster.)

Now that's a kudo post.  Well stated Void. 

Void Singer wrote:

Noob is a state of mind, not a skill set. If you think you're a noob, you are. You're no longer a noob when you feel like you belong and SL feels like home. 

Some may think you're noob based on your appearance and maybe your are. Or maybe you are an enlightened being and have moved beyond the primitive identification with one's appearance or even gender, and are just as comfortable appearing as a cloud or a ray of light. 

SL is a big world and an incredible journey. Often I have imagined that the end was reached when it was merely the first mountain peak, which hid many higher mountains in the distance. Some experiences have been so intense that I cannot fathom anything beyond them. 

Much to learn, but no longer a noob. Oryion, welcome home. 

I would strongly disagree....  we've got residents who obviously don't know what they are doing, how to do what they want, yet think they do, and loudly tell others so.... newbie, and the derogatory noob have always been external labels, placed by others to classify a persons skill set / level.

I'm a semi-noob. Before I made an official account, I shared one with a friend who was in College. She just role-played most of the time, and built to kill time. I probably won't step foot onto the virtual land until I get a job.

SAT's are coming up, so I'm keeping both eyes on the prize. I shouldn't really worry. I got an 1800 on my PSAT. I just need to learn to pay attention more.  ^_^. Yes, I did just go off topic. Cheers for off-topic!

Void Singer wrote:

I would strongly disagree....  we've got residents who obviously don't know what they are doing, how to do what they want, yet think they do, and loudly tell others so.... newbie, and the derogatory noob have always been external labels, placed by others to classify a persons skill set / level.

I've pondered some, and I think you're original test for exiting the noob state would be more accurate with this small addition:

When you can do it as good or better than the majority of people around you and you know it.

Richard Write wrote an autobiographical short story entitled "The Night I Won the Right to the Streets of Memphis". The story is availble for download here. The irony of the story is that he always had the right to walk the streets of Memphis.

Except for his mental state, he was the same person before and after that pivotal night. A change in his thinking allowed him to cross from one universe to the other, so to speak. In the first universe, he was weak and lived in terror. In the alternate universe he was strong and unafraid.

SL makes it easier for us to have a look at ourselves in an alternate universe and ask what if...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4597 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.