The Unmanned Vehicle Problem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3987 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Thank you, everyone, for responding. I truly appreciate the time each person took, and each post is well thought out and explains its point of view, thanks.

A few replies in turn.

1. Yes I know it's been discussed before - when did that ever stop this forum? ;) 

Also, it needs to continue being discussed until something is actually done about it. Also it's a topic upon which the residents' temperature needs to be taken from time to time, since levels of tolerance do change (Red Zone comes to mind.)

2. It seems to make a difference, overall, whether someone owns roadside land or not, or has a parcel affected directly by the unmanned vehicles. It also seems to matter whether that is a business or a residence. Although opinions seem to differ on whether it's a boon for business or an annoyance/clutter.

3. Roaming dinosaurs would be kind of awesome.

4. It is advertising - in one case, the vehicles are also sold, as well as start and end at the person's shop. (I'm really unclear why the second main case does this.) And, of course, any click to see who made them leads to a profile in which there is more mention of shops.

5. It seems like favoritism, since clearly we cannot all do the same, or the grid would crash. 

6. All land should have auto return set to 1 upon sale as a default.

To summarize: It is clear to me this is an abuse of resources and using Linden land for personal gain, so I'm not sure what the dilemma is. 

Thanks for listening, and I hope the topic keeps going. This isn't just a land issue, it concerns the entire grid.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Chris: Rumor has it that ex-Lindens worked with the companies which first began to virally distribute those pay-per-play "breedable" type of animals which are now so common everywhere across the grid. So maybe they kind of ended up doing that by proxy.

@Melita: You like roaming dinosaurs? hehe you don't have to wait for Lindens to do it. I made some already :matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

There is one thing that will work to stop the unmanned vehicles. If you have a parcel along side the public roads that the unmanned vehicles are using, you can write a script to rezz objects until the space is filled and no more objects can enter the parcel. Unmanned vehicles will not be able to enter then, although vehicles attached to an avatar will be able to. 

Thanks - the visual spam bothers me more though, actually. 

My land is all set to auto return, but the abandoned parcels, and people who let friends build and are against deeding their land to group for reasons unknown, leave theirs at 0.

I can't fill my parcel with prims, because I have a few meeroo there. The nest would go off world, plus I like to open boxes at home when I wear new things.

Maybe the idea can work for some, though. Thanks.

No, I'm not talking about filling your parcel with prims. On your land, just turn off object entry. I'm talking about filling public land with prims. Some people do that to abandoned land to keep squatters from filling it with junk and unsightly builds. Also make the fill prims transparent so that you don't have to see them and rezz them underground.

It is not the dark side, it is the good side. I'm talking about committing random acts of beauty and senseless acts of kindness. The unmanned vehicles are ugly. Filling the public pathways with invisible prims is an act of beautification. It seizes the high ground from the forces of darkness and greed.

Melita Magic wrote:

4. It is advertising - in one case, the vehicles are also sold, as well as start and end at the person's shop. (I'm really unclear why the second main case does this.) And, of course, any click to see who made them leads to a profile in which there is more mention of shops.

5. It seems like favoritism, since clearly we cannot all do the same, or the grid would crash. 

Anyone wanna bet I would get reported and not get away with it if I made one of my robots wander the grid that way?

Ancient magics does not distinguished between good and dark. There were no White witches, No Gray witches.. all dark magic. Those vehicle creators are as bad as the ones who rezzes spamming alpha objects .. both eventually will clog the system and causes unneccesary server crash if things are not handled carefully.

I don't think we should treat magic with another magic. I think we should do it like the medieval times. Get your pitch forks and rolling pins. Bang on tins, cans and cooking pots... scare em witches out from their hidings and burn them on a huge lump of burning hay. Let's do an early Burn Man gathering and lets burn real avatars instead of a giant stickman. LL can do nothing... they're much too hypocrite to admit that they were involved in the first place.

Maybe We can even start a Vehicle Spammer Hunting cult. All we need is a leader.

WADE1 Jya wrote:

lol what a great idea *jokes*

i can just imagine one of your fabulous kitchens chugging down the tracks.... all aboard! :smileyvery-happy:

Actually I was thinking of your Giant Robo Cat!  

But if you have dinosaurs, even better. :matte-motes-evil-invert:

Willow Danube wrote:

ETA: It wasn't Harry Potter who had a flying school bus, I think it was another movie.

It was a flying car in Harry Potter... and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang... and Grease... that's just off the top of my head.  Sky High had a flying school bus... can't think of any others that did at the moment, but if I do I'll get back to you.

Now, what was the topic again?

...Dres

Pamela Galli wrote:

Oh good advertising  idea -- merchants can turn all their content into unmanned vehicles and set them loose. Click for a LM.

Fair is fair.

Actually this could work if you wanted to get rid of them for good.  If enough people start doing this and enough people start complaining about it, then LL would end up having to put a stop to it.  Fight fire with fire or something like that.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

Oh good advertising  idea -- merchants can turn all their content into unmanned vehicles and set them loose. Click for a LM.

Fair is fair.

Actually this could work if you wanted to get rid of them for good.  If enough people start doing this and enough people start complaining about it, then LL would end up having to put a stop to it.  Fight fire with fire or something like that.

...Dres

I don't see how anyone sees these vehicles as advertising.

Unless they've changed lately, they're just vehicles that move about and let people ride them.

No signage.

They add life to an otherwise dead world. Don't like it, prefer being dead - move to an estate.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

Fair is fair.

...Dres

Unless they've changed lately, they're just vehicles that move about and let people ride them.

No signage.

They add life to an otherwise dead world. Don't like it, prefer being dead - move to an estate.

If they looked good or performed some function, I'd be the first to agree with you.

The problem is, they're ugly, useless, and laggy. I'd rather have actual life than that. Give me some clever and/or well made device or an actual person driving by, and I love that. Not these, though.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

Fair is fair.

...Dres

No signage.

Oh I don't care at all, they don't bother me... I don't bother them.  

I think most people either don't care about them or they actually like them... though it may not seem like that from reading this thread.  I believe only a small minority are effected to the point that they want them gone. 

So you see, it never even crossed my mind that what I suggested would ever actually take place.  It's just not that big a problem, plus there are certainly bigger fish to fry.

...Dres

They are popular. Over 40,000 different people have taken over 86,000 trips since January 11. All passengers are logged in a data base.

Anyone may do it. So far only two can do it. The permissions and TOS allow it.

AnnMarie is a scripter, not a builder. If you think they are ugly, send her a pretty one to use. A dinosaur would be great.

Her script is far from perfect but those that criticize have no idea what is involved. She is up to version 1839 after 4 years work and constantly improving it.

If they crash on your land, call her. She is very responsive and will diagnose the problem so it doesn't repeat. Just returning them removes the symptom, not the cause.

There is no script available to remove vehicles that get stuck on no-script land. Suggestions have been made to solve the problem but its unlikely the Lindens have someone to work on it.

AnnMarie says 25% of her vehicles have already been modified to morph automatically into boats or railroad cars as needed however the Lindens have stated they do not regulate appearance of builds, vehicles or otherwise.

Roadside land gets a premium price and the roads have abundant roadside advertising. Advertising is located there for visibility to traffic. 80,000 passengers of "unmanned" vehicles provide the majority of that traffic.

Many criticize her using resources that everyone pays for and for personal gain. AnnMarie spends over $US 300 a month to provide the vehicles. Tips and script sales bring in about $US8 per month.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3987 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.