The Unmanned Vehicle Problem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3966 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not one but two residents, apparently, who feel it is OK to send these things out onto the grid on a regular basis. If you ask  why you get arrogance. Simply because hte Lindens have not specifically spoken on this issue does not mean it is OK to do this. 

Common sense would dictate that sending something down teh highways every few minutes is unsightly. People do not ride in these things. 

Specifically, these "pods" go by one of my parcels constantly. Day and night, every couple of minutes. Some even pass each other going opposite directions. These things are ugly as sin. The creator is very self justifying about it, of course.

But why should one person or two people out of 60,000 residents be able to send things out prim littering the Linden highways this way? It isn't even possible to enjoy driving because these things come crashing into or through you. 

Some vehicles end up stacked on empty parcels, driving property values down even further. Some fly through the sky or drive sluggishly through the oceans.

it's visual spam and it should stop.

What say you all?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was an inane idea to build public roads through residential mainland sims. Sure, it fits into the whole virtual world concept, but it only encourages passers-through to rez all kinds of laggy junk, and the owners of adjacent parcels are unable to do anything about it.

LL should either provide dedicated, non-residential sims for boaters, aviators and other vehicle owners, or rely on private land owners to provide things like race tracks and boatable waterspace. Public roads are asking for abuse. At the very least, there should be a very short autoreturn timer.

I feel the exact same way about cars in real life.

it's visual spam and it should stop.

c9db66652249c383ead2a40ae2d84228.jpg

For this situation, it is probably up to the vehicle maker to make these things derez when not in use.

I do this with my vehicle creations, make them so they clean themselves up whenever someone jumps off the thing.

It's a very simple function to add to a script.

If you contact the vehicle maker & tell them your feelings, who knows, they may take heart & change the design.

I have heard other residents also voice concern that they do not like seeing these things.

If many residents similarily petitioned the creator, I'm almost certain they would redesign this as most creators prefer to do things that make the community happy.

Perhaps this creator could at least make the vehicles remain stationary when not in use, it is kinda unrealistic to imagine the vehicles have their own destinations & errands to attend to all alone.

You could always tell Lindens about it too, I believe they supply this automated driving script free to use (might be wrong here). If that is the case, perhaps they have some direct control over this issue.

Thanks for the responses.

I did contact one of them, and got a very arrogant reply. I can't go into it here since it was in IM. etc.

Why can't they just make it so that someone can click and rez a car to drive with? They can still make it hit the SL hot spots if that was their intent. Only, on demand, when someone actually is there to sit in one. Not hundreds of them without any driver.

I have yet to see a single person in any of those pods. If it's meant to give tours, it's missing its purpose. 

I support the vehicle development that is taking place but I do not fully support the methods being used.

Acknowledgment of these projects would go a long way in creating greater understanding.

Residents deserve Peaceful Enjoyment of their Land.

I avoid roadside land if I'm going to live there. 

It's not just roadside, either. I have a piece of land on Linden waterfront, and regularly fish creations from this person off of my land. It's not only unsightly, but I noticed that the most recent one was over 70 prims. I have land settings set so that those objects should not be able to come onto my land, but they still do. 

I have a foolish take on this.  I have parcels roadside.  I walk outside and every few minutes an unmanned 'vehicle' passes by.  I hop in.  I travel through 8 sims looking at the builds and stores and people.  I chat with a friend.  

I actually put up a sign on the parcel next to the roadside inviting people into my cafe - it's free and fun and relaxing.  I like the vehicles on the road, I hope people see them and hop in and drop by my cafe; or look at some of the builds around. 

I do not live on a road, but I do have two waterways that intersect in front of my mainland parcel.  All sorts of watercraft, manned and not, go by.  I think there have been perhaps 3-4 occasions in the past few months where an unmanned water vehicle has become stuck against something between sims near me.  Each time I have IM'ed the creator and in at least two instances, provided her with the exact coordinates of the stranded craft.  She has appeared very quickly and fixed the problem.

I do not mind these unmanned 'water taxis' at all.  Maybe next time I shall jump in one and have a leisurely ride down the waterway.

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

... At the very least, there should be a very short autoreturn timer.

Agree with this. Several months ago I reported a vehicle on the road in front of my place that had been there for months and LL got rid of it. They advised the parcel didn't have autoreturn turned on and fixed it, so now it does. I haven't seen once since.

A few land vehicles on a road is fun to look at in otherwise dead looking community area. A few land vehicles on the SLRR track, waterways and air space has got to stop. Why would I want to drive a Porsche on a railway track when there are free tram trains? Why am I seeing a truck cruising on a waterway like an out of season duck?

Sure, I can accept a flying school bus just because Harry Potter has one too, but somehow I felt like when riding on a scripted land points flying school bus is like riding in a tour bus in a foreign land... they will ALWAYS stop at places where you have to buy something.

And what's up with the tanks? And what's up with the tank pushing another vehicle of the same creator around? Are we having a war? Some of these unmanned vehicles are set to physical. Cio and I were driving along the road the other day and wanted to stop so we could take a few pictures when this big vehicle came behind us and started to push us...

If these creators has a good justification as explained by another poster in another thread in the Mainland forum... why not ask that creator not only to be smart but also to be less lazy? Can't they stop rezzing in stupid out-of-place vehicles and set the rest of them to phantom? Can they at least set a script where they can detect a head on collision and set off the vector slighty off the course to avoid physical collision with a vehicle with a passenger in it? Can they derezzed as soon as they went off the course from LL track points? Why should the owner of that parcel be the one who is responsible to return those vehicles?

Yeah sure it is fun to look at, but it is not that fun when you start using the road with your own chosen vehicle. If you want to be known as the vehicle spammers of the Mainlands, why not do it with consideration towards the rest of us? The thing with scripted vehicles, it is only fun watching them from the roadside.. sit on it, the buildings on the roadside becomes negligible just because you had no time to stop and look at those buildings. So good luck on you for the passengers to even notice you had a nice cozy hangout on the roadside.

ETA: It wasn't Harry Potter who had a flying school bus, I think it was another movie.

the whole idea of the "roads" was to allow a thoroughfare if the surrounding sim owners blocked public access. i had a minland parcel where you would hear the occassional motorcycle or car drive past and it did lend a certain element to it, i even own m/cycles and would ride/drive them down the road. However, the unmanned vehivles used to pile up on my land, at first the creator would come to take them, but after a few time, ignore my requests on numerous occassions. I could not return them because they would often be stuck between two parcels...............all i could do was to de render them. however, LL nor the creator ( who apparently had permission to do this) would help in this matter, which annoyed me to no end as i was cleaning up after someone elses disorganized mess.....so i say F--K OFF unmanned vehicles............

Theres just to many and all of them are ugly beat up pieces of cr@p. I'm truely shocked that LL doesn't do a thing to put limits on them. This creator is getting away with it and laughing all the way while her little army of turds goes merrily along the roads, air, and water.

I don't have anything to do, give me the power and I'll clean all the cr@p up, All the airplanes stuck in the sky, The abandoned cars, and any other piles laying around the mainland. I can be the Cr@p Police!!! LOL

I like the roads, personally.  I ride them sometimes on a small motor scooter or bicycle to look at the pretty scenery and places people have built, or to find places like shops or public buildings I might never have thought to search for.  It's relaxing, if you use a vehicle slow enough to allow things to rez as you go along.  There really is a lot that's worth seeing, some of it quite spectacular.

The unmanned tanks rolling down the road are kind of ridiculous, I think.  The other unmanned vehicles are easy enough to avoid, they're rather slow.  They usually aren't much to look at either, though.  Very crude looking objects compared to most of SL.  I didn't even know one *could* ride inside those.  I have ridden in the little pods for "tours" a couple times.  It's ok, but usually I'd rather use my own transport so I can stop at interesting places and find a good angle for a screenshot, etc.

The only time I've ever run into a *manned* vehicle on the road, it was a couple of jokers in a car that entertained themselves by trying to run me off a bridge into a river.  So my perspective may be skewed a bit, but I don't tend to think of the unmanned objects as being what I'd call the problem.  The unmanned ones are slow and pretty easy to avoid unless they're big like the tanks.  I haven't ever seen piles of them, but I have seen them go meandering off the road and through fields or etc.  They could be a more effective simulation of occasional traffic if they were up to par with what most SL people would actually drive in terms of object quality, though.

I own a mainland parcel along a road. I often like to drive my own vehicles on said roads. When someone passes my parcel in their own vehicle, that's awesome. When I see these unmanned ones driving by, I have two reactions.

"What an ugly piece of junk. Ruins the road and eats up sim resources."

Or, alternatively,

"Hey. I should make something to wander the mainland and advertise that I script, too! But wait... Isn't advertising on LL land against the rules? How come these people get away with it?"

I like the idea of the cars but you would think they could have put some imagination into them. Some are even the old poorly textured freebie slum buses, extremely unimpressive. Perhaps the creator just can't build so he/she has to use old freebie junk and they are too new to Sl to know it makes their scripting work look cheap.

As for adding a bit of life to a lifeless world I think it is a great idea that real builders should be implimenting, SL needs L.

I have a couple subways that go into different sims but they are on islands not main land. The tough part is everytime there is a sim restart one or both will go off world and into my lost and found and I have to replace them with new ones. I don't know why or how the mainland ones could be piling up and getting stuck on borders, they should go off world. If they are stuck in a sim and they are physical we can push them and set them free with our own car sometimes but not always. But yeah when sending these things out the creator or owner must monitor them.

Gadget Portal wrote:

...Or, alternatively,

"Hey. I should make something to wander the mainland and advertise that I script, too! But wait... Isn't advertising on LL land against the rules? How come these people get away with it?"

Hmm.  Maybe someone could code up some birds (pigeons, seagulls, etc) that relieve themselves only on unmanned vehicles?  

Previous discussions about the automated vehicles can be found here:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mainland/Those-cars-on-the-mainland-roads-Grrrrrrr/td-p/766077

and

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mainland/100-of-attack-vehicles-launched-by-major-griefer-backed-by/td-p/1018543

I dont really have strong feelings about the automated vehicles.

One creator have automated vehicles that seem to be well scripted and phantom. I have nothing against these as long as there is not too many of them.

And another creator should maybe hire a scripter if she cant do it properly herself. I hope that some day we dont see cars on the waterways or on railroads. I prefer to see cars on the roads, trains on the railroads and boats on the waterways.

But i do have strong feelings about people who dont have autoreturn. And let their parcel get full of lost vehicles and other junk. There is no technical way to prevent objects entering to parcels. Never been, prolly never will(would break content). No matter what parcel settings.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mainland/AutoReturn/td-p/775825

I stood at a junction the other day and watched one of these crash, followed by another.....and another, until they were all a mess of vehicles, some on their side, others trying to get back on the path. It seems to me that the presence of a watching avatar somehow messes these up and i cant work out why. Often i have stood to watch one and it has immediately gone haywire.

I saw some of these for the first time recently, when I spotted a tank rolling up the road towards me. After trying to nudge me out of the way a few times, it lowered its gun and shot me in the face.

Although I couldn't sit and ride it, I found that it was possible to jump on top and balance standing on its hull. It carried me across a couple of sims, shaking me off like an irritable horse at sim borders. Eventually we met a schoolbus, and engaged in a friendly sumo match until I jumped into the bus and drove it out of the way.

I was fairly entertained by the whole thing, but then I don't have to live alongside it. I dare say I'd find it less amusing if these things were triggering physics events all over my sim and driving up the lag, or piled up in my store or home. Seems like they need to be controlled a bit better, maybe some smarter scripting too,

I haven't had too many encounters with these vehicles but I don't spend a lot of time on the ground on the Mainland.

My encounters however with them has been while riding on the SL Railroads.  What these cars have been doing unmanned rolling down the tracks is beyond me.  So I have been in a few collisions with them.  So that would be my gripe with them.

Prokofy has blogged extensively regarding the problem.  I think her(his?) big gripe with them is they often run off the road and stack up and that they don't 'auto delete.'

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3966 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.