The Unmanned Vehicle Problem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3966 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

AaronM Jenkins wrote:

They are popular. Over 40,000 different people have taken over 86,000 trips since January 11. All passengers are logged in a data base.

And of those 40,000 how many actually live on or own property on the Main Land or are aware of the problems those vehicles are causing? And would they have rode them of they knew?  I know I wont. 

AaronM Jenkins wrote:

The permissions and TOS allow it.

So?  Being 'rude' isn't against the TOS either.  That still doesn't make it right.

AaronM Jenkins wrote:

AnnMarie is a scripter, not a builder. If you think they are ugly, send her a pretty one to use. A dinosaur would be great.

I have a huge respect for scripters.  But where is her respect for the Mainland residents?

And as far as a Dinosaur goes, if I want to Role Play Jurassic Park 3 I'll look for a SIM that is Dinosaur themed.

AaronM Jenkins wrote:

Her script is far from perfect but those that criticize have no idea what is involved. She is up to version 1839 after 4 years work and constantly improving it.

There is a test grid (I believe it's called Additi) that she can use to hone her skills.  Don't use me for a guinea pig.

AaronM Jenkins wrote:

If they crash on your land, call her. She is very responsive and will diagnose the problem so it doesn't repeat. Just returning them removes the symptom, not the cause.

The real cause is her taking advantage of a loophole in the TOS.  It is no less a pain in the you know what in SL than in RL when my neighbors trash winds up in my front yard and I have to wait for them to come home to do something about it.

AaronM Jenkins wrote:.

Roadside land gets a premium price and the roads have abundant roadside advertising. Advertising is located there for visibility to traffic. 80,000 passengers of "unmanned" vehicles provide the majority of that traffic.

And Linden Lab had to impose rules governing ad farms, etc, and an unsightly ad can be AR'd and removed.  And people will boycott those who create unsightly situations.

AaronM Jenkins wrote:

Many criticize her using resources that everyone pays for and for personal gain. AnnMarie spends over $US 300 a month to provide the vehicles. Tips and script sales bring in about $US8 per month.

That  is her freewill decision if she wants to spend her money that way.  However, she is NOT paying for the land I live on and quite frankly I do not want her vehicles on my property.  In RL, it is called trespassing and a person can be arrested for it and / or be held responsible for damages.

Bottom line here is that you are confusing freedom with anarchy.  They are not the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Automated_Mainland_Vehicle_Guidelines

So, this old chestnut is back.  If you enjoy the routes you should send a big thank you to AnnMarie and Yavanna because both actively work to have problems fixed along the routes rather than moan about other peoples content.  Some of you may be new to the routes and oblivious to the diabolical state the routes were in a few years ago.  Along with members of my group, these two have contributed massively towards having defects fixed.  Yavanna is responsible for 2 new routes being converted from dead ends to routes that actually go somewhere!  Most route users don't give a second thought to the defects that have been fixed but maybe it is about time some of you did.  LL do not go around looking for defects you know, there is not and never will be a Surveyor Mole, Michael Linden made that clear a long time ago.

This is a very old debate and I can not be bothered to go through the details again.  Please check out the links someone else posted here and read the previous forum posts about it and also maybe this one at SLU: http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/general-sl-discussion/60412-petition-against-annmaries-vehicles.html

In those threads all of the myths are discussed and clarified.  Tanks only shoot at you if you click them etc etc etc blah blah blah ye olde cheste nuto

Why don't people spend more time reporting route defects and help everyone that uses the routes rather than putting energy into pointless whinging about other peoples content?  I personally hate the sight of houses floating unsupported in the sky, but that is just another part of the diversity of SL so I do the mature thing and accept it and move on.  To some, a castle floating in the sky is an amazing sight, we each have different taste.  This is part of being human.  SL is a diverse place, if it pains people that much to see things that are not 100% to their taste then there is always the X in the top right corner...

Yevad Doobie wrote:

Why don't people spend more time reporting route defects and help everyone that uses the routes rather than putting energy into pointless whinging about other peoples content?

A.  How do you define a 'defect'

B.  To whom should such be reported, and how

C.  Unlike floating castles automated vehicles are on 'public' land and affect other people more

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

Yevad Doobie wrote:

Why don't people spend more time reporting route defects and help everyone that uses the routes rather than putting energy into pointless whinging about other peoples content?

A.  How do you define a 'defect'

B.  To whom should such be reported, and how

C.  Unlike floating castles automated vehicles are on 'public' land and affect other people more

A.  One example of a "defect" is public roadway that's set not to allow object entry.  There are lots of others, but that's one I encountered myself this past week.

B.  So I filed a support ticket, of the "Linden-owned land" variety.  (Well, in this case, I first checked with a Mole who'd been working in the vicinity, to make sure it wasn't intentional.)

C.  Yeah, maybe, but... does anybody else remember the little rowboat with the red-striped cushions that used to circle the Atoll continent?  It was one of the most delightful bits of resident-contributed content on the whole grid -- certainly a lot more interesting than... well, really any of the oh-so-hyped sims that have bailed out of SL,  I don't think it runs anymore, or at least I haven't seen it for ages.  Anyway, the point is that anyone who ever had the privilege and pleasure of riding that automated vehicle would be very circumspect in criticizing the genre.

Ah, sorry.  I admit I misread your comment; nonetheless, I hope I wasn't too snarky.

I also wanted to put in a good word for castles in the sky... but with the caveat that they should really be in the sky, far out of sight of the ground.  I never really understood why folks rez structures hovering, say, 50m above ground level.  It means their parcel access settings won't work, they're no more private and they'll render-lag just as badly as if they were right on the ground.  A completely separate building layer at a couple thousand meters altitude, however, can improve the experience at both heights.  It doesn't have to be just a skybox up there.

I live on Route 9. For 1 month now.

I log on every day. Both kinds of vehicles come past quite regular. The pods and the grunge ones. Sometimes the grunge ones go past upside down and sometimes they get stuck at the north end.  Not all the time, just sometimes. Was a big mess up of them one day last week like all piled up on the north sim crossing, and I lost my kittycats kitten off my parcel at same time. It just went poof. I get back in my Inventory next day so was ok. But I was a bit upset at the time bc I thought I lost forever and I only got one. Dont know why it poof exactly it just did while I was there with 2 of my friends..

In the 1 month so far I've only ever seen one person using the road. He was riding his own motorbike and he stop for a chat. Ive not seen anyone on the automatic ones yet. Except for me when i sit to see what is when I first saw them. The pods go ok but the grunge ones a bit lame.

PS. I saw the tube ride thingy at Zindra and went for a ride on it. Thats cool. Id be happy if that went past my place and I could jump on it. Or maybe a tramcar.

Sylvia Tamalyn wrote:

I've found that living on a private island is no guarantee you won't get crazed vehicles flying about....

/me looks accusingly at Dres

:smileyvery-happy:

It's different when you've invited and subsequently facilitated said crazy with the means to obtain such a vehicle, whether through yourself or other equally incriminated parties.  Then, the both of you proceed to let him get behind the wheel, when he told you he didn't know what the hell he was doing in the first place, therefore enabling havoc to be unleashed upon the masses, in total disregard for anyone's safety... shame, shame, shame on you.  shame.gif

...Dres angel-smiley-5100.gif

• 1 year later...

I don't see this as a problem at all.  I have land right next to a roadside on mainland.  The pods go past my land all the time.  Along with several other vehicles. My SL partner and I have hopped in the pods several times and just gone for a "joy ride".  Its fun to see where you end up and look at other people's builds.  I don't see them as a problem.  To say that "no one rides in them" is to say that YOU don't ride in them.  Other people do, and truly enjoy them.  If they bother you so much I would suggest moving off mainland.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3966 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.