Songs that make you cry

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Wow, there are many, I don't know that I can list one or two.  I have always been very deeply touched by music.  It is amazing how music can move us.  It can bring us great joy and make us want to move.  It can inspire us to do great things.  It can calm and sooth us when we are full of sorrow.  It can move us to tears of joy or sorrow as well!  It can induce ecstasy and stir up longings deep within us.  I have felt all of these things from music. 

From the time I was a baby, the strings of a violin would move me to silent tears, I still cannot control that in myself.  If someone wanted to really capture my heart and soul, that would be one sure way to do it.  I could sit and listen to someone play the guitar for hours on end and feel a multitude of emotions. 

I still cannot sing this song.  I sang it at my grandfather's funeral the request of my grandma.  I barely made it through the song I had to focus on a tear in the wall paper across the room and detach myself from the lyrics.  

This one really moved me as well.  I love all kinds of music obviously 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, so many wonderful, heart-wrenching songs here. I'm at work and can't turn the volume up loud enough to really listen to the songs I'm not familiar with, so I'll come back to those tonight to enjoy the full listening experience. But as for the others:

@Lynda, your comments made me laugh out loud. That's contradictory to theme of the thread, nevertheless I loved your take on it. :)

@Dee, okay, disclaimer: Don't read this thread at work unless you enjoy having to explain red eyes, running mascara, and wet cheeks to your nosy co-workers.

@Ceka and Lillie, I too love Sarah McLachlan.

@Kolby, I love My Immortal and especially Tears in Heaven. Can't believe I left those off my list.

@Tem, a beautiful rendition of Ave Maria, another favorite that just make something inside me swell.

@Lillie, Nessum Dorma is a favorite, and I was blown away the first time I heard Paul Potts sing it.

I've got a couple of others that I'm going to share as soon as I can pull up the YouTube links. Stay tuned.

For all the American Idol naysayers, this may the most moving rendition I've ever heard of this song. Fantasia was absolutely not my favorite singer and definitely not my choice to win that season, but THIS is hands down my single favorite performance from that season and maybe ever on American Idol because of the beautiful raw emotion she brought to it.

And this one from my favorite musical, Les Miserables. There is no song in that entire production that doesn't grip me in emotion, but this is the one most likely to send tears streaming down my face.

Alright, so once again, I'm posting before listening to any of the songs.  I may just wait to do that until I need a good cry... everyone needs a good cry sometimes.

So many to choose from...

I know what you're thinking... from country to opera?  Yeah, tear worthiness can come from anywhere for me. 

I didn't wanna start my day in tears, but just looking for these on YouTube did me in... damn you Quinn... you better enjoy it... lol.

...Dres (Might as well pour myself a drink and listen to all the other songs posted here... perhaps I am a bit overdue.)

ETA: I've decided to take measures to counteract the effects of this tear laden post... to feel better click here.

And you wondered why I waited until I had a little privacy at work to check this thread? I knew it would be this way. I haven't listened to a single one; just reading the titles and remembering the ones I know was bad enough. "Leader of the Band" damn near did me in all by itself. I have to turn that down if there's someone in the car with me when it comes on.

This is a great thread, Quinn (and everyone else who has shared). I may even think of something myself, once I get past listening to everyone else's. Thanks.

DQ Darwin wrote:

Lovely Tem:)

I see many things in this work, but I do not see lovely. When listening to Mahler's Symphony No. 5 one 'feels' turbulance; anguish; absolute despair. Considered one of his most complex works with regard to structure.  Original and "tight" - anything but lovely.  

That's nice. Glad I didn't get you to chose choose my drapes, obviously we thing think different. I am lucky:)

Storm Clarence wrote:

DQ Darwin wrote:

I see many things in this work, but I do not see lovely. When listening to Mahler's Symphony No. 5 one 'feels' turbulance; anguish; absolute despair. Considered one of his most complex works with regard to structure.  Original and "tight" - anything but lovely.  

DQ Darwin wrote:

That's nice. Glad I didn't get you to chose my drapes, obviously we thing different. I am lucky:)

Storm Clarence wrote:

DQ Darwin wrote:

I see many things in this work, but I do not see lovely. When listening to Mahler's Symphony No. 5 one 'feels' turbulence; anguish; absolute despair. Considered one of his most complex works with regard to structure.  Original and "tight" - anything but lovely.  

Mahler S. #5 was going to be my post. However, it made me 'think' funeral ergo my post of Mozart.  Again, Tem had a great post.  I did not mean to assail your tastes and critique of the piece, I was just offering mine in juxtaposition to that of your opinion.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

And you wondered why I waited until I had a little privacy at work to check this thread? I
knew
it would be this way. I haven't listened to a single one; just reading the titles and remembering the ones I know was bad enough. "Leader of the Band" damn near did me in all by itself. I have to turn that down if there's someone in the car with me when it comes on.

This is a great thread, Quinn (and everyone else who has shared). I may even think of something myself, once I get past listening to everyone else's. Thanks.

"Leader of the Band" ranks up there as one of my all time favorite songs. I love music where the lyrics tell a powerful story.

I wonder, just how damaging would it be to my mental psyche if I were to create a playlist titled "Cry" in my iTunes, with all of these songs that everyone is sharing in it? I don't care, I'm probably going to do it anyway. Sometimes a good cry can be cathartic.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.