Songs that make you cry

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4627 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I saw a few music threads today, not all of which I've posted to yet (but I will). And in digging through my music library, I stumbled across a couple of songs that never fail to bring tears to my eyes.

Don't laugh that this first one is Barry Manilow. It's a haunting tune set to a poem by Johnny Mercer, and it rips me apart every time I hear it, as I imagine either Zeke or myself alone in our twilight years, without the other.

This beautiful song by singer/songwriter John Gorka was shared with me by a friend several years ago as inspiration for a project we were working on together at the time. The project fell through, but the song still resonates with me deeply.

What songs make YOU cry?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on my iPad trapped in the doctor's office for a while, so I can't see most of these embedded Youtube videos at the moment. (<grumble>Stupid Apple, not supporting Flash.</grumble>) So I have no idea if this one duplicates something one of you already posted. But another song guaranteed to require hankies is Butterfly Kisses by Bob Carlisle. I'll come back later when I'm at a real computer and edit to add a YouTube link.

Edited to add YouTube link, finally:

Quinn you should have put a disclaimer on this post, some kind of warning like "DON"T READ AT WORK".:P

What lovely music, just lovely.

I, like others are, am emotionally attached to music as it will signify a time, a place, a feeling, a loss, a gain, a wish or a hope. I will have to post tonight because they do make me cry.

Thanks for getting folks to place a bit of their heart out here.....

My-Coffee.gif

Great idea :) There is nothing like a good cry to cheer me up. It's like taking a cold shower in the winter in order to boost the blood circulation and feel warmer.

I had to use a U.S. proxy to watch most of these, so they might not play for some people (like most music vids). Sorry about that, but I hate posting live videos. This one nicely builds up until the tear-jerking end:

In this instrumental track it's mainly the guitar solo that gets me. It sounds like Satriani even has his own guitar in tears:

Pay no attention to the sub-par lyrics. I wish Tristania would stick to Norwegian. It's a shame how many great European bands nearly ruin their songs by trying to write them in English (perhaps that's what makes me cry in this case?):

I really love this sad song, but it would probably make Mozart cry if he had a chance to hear it:

And finally, a classic from my favorite Black Sabbath album. It probably makes me cry because it reminds me of my age (and of a few other things):

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4627 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.