Songs that make you cry

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet another cry song. I can't decide between two versions which move me equally, so I'm sharing them both.

This one is the soundtrack original (theme from the movie Cinema Paradiso, composed by Ennio Morricone).

And this is a version with Chris Botti and Yo-Yo Ma. As an aside, I never, ever knew I was a fan of the trumpet until I saw Chris Botti perform as the opening act at a concert Zeke and went to several years ago. The beautiful, rich sounds he gets out of that instrument, I've never heard anything like it. I never know whether to melt or cry when I listen to his music.

I have to say... I've never really watched American Idol or So you think you can dance... but it makes me feel really good that they are exposing some really great songs to more people that would have ever heard them.

Also, I have to admit, I did watch "The Voice" pretty much all the way through... and loved it.

You posted a sad song from Idol earlier, and it was great, but when you did, my first thought was to automatically to post this, but for some reason I waited.  I'm posting it now... it's one of the finalists of the voice singing "Beautiful" with Christina... it has never sounded so good or been sung with such emotion, as far as I'm concerned.

I hope you enjoy it...

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Oh you bitch.... I absolutely love Cinema Paradiso.  Being American and therefore lazy as hell, there's not many non-English speaking movies that I've been exposed to... this is one of my absolute favorites... thank you.

...Dres

Cinema Paradiso is all my all-time favorite foreign movie. And as odd as it sounds because it's such an unlikely pairing, Cinema Paradiso and Toy Story 3 are the two movies that stand out as making me sob for extended periods of time, every time I watch them. I mean tears running down my neck and drenching my collar sobbing.

Forum lurker extraordinaire Madelaine McMasters has submitted the following poignant links for this thread. Two versions of the same song. I post them here on her behalf.

The second video is apparently prohibited from embedding, so you'll have to folllow this link straight to YouTube to view it. Especially recommended for anyone who wants to understand the fried egg Maddy is currently wearing on her forehead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn0YqNvBvy4

Wow, I hadn't planned on being all sniffly this early in the evening.  I can cry with any kind of music, it's embarrassing. Happy, sad, romantic, and if I'm hearing it live?  Forget it, I'm a mess.  Here are a few that come to mind :)   

This:

and this:

The Lark Ascending by Ralph Vaughan Williams - I'll post the whole thing (it's in two parts) for anyone interested in listening to the whole thing. 

Sylvia, Sylvia, Sylvia. Tsk, tsk, tsk. How many times do I have to tell you? THIS is the version of Hallelujah that you really meant to post, right? We'll just blame it on the coconut drinks again, shall we? (Although, the Jeff Buckley version is beautiful in its own right, too.)

Well I'm supose to be going to bed but I came back for another look and it got me thinking again so for the sound of the horn that brings tears to my eyes there is this

Having grown up in a military household this piece bring tears to my eyes, one either loves them or hates them but I love them.

This morning Leader of the Band was still stuck in my head after this thread and after our conversation in the barn last night.  So while driving my son to his first day of middle school, I started singing it.  He fell silent and I turned to look at him and he had tears streaming down his face.  Yep it tops the list.  I almost ruined his first day of middle school by making him cry on the way there.  I asked him if he was okay and he silently shook his head.  I asked him to tell me what he was thinking, wondering if maybe it was more than the song.  He held up his finger in a "wait a moment" fashion and shook his head again, let out a bit of a sigh and said "Mom that song hurts my heart."   Then we were both crying. 

you'll need to turn this one up, recorded too.... but if you grew up with the muppets and sesame street well... sorry, you'll cry.

and if you should be able to find it (because I couldn't)...

"Nightmare Launch" by Leslie Fish
(although it's only a tear jerker if you were born several years before 1986 at least... probably won't mean as much to non-american)

Void, I had not heard that before, thank you for posting it. There are now 3 of us heading off to fix our makeup.

Here are 2 German ones and those that understand them know why they are here:

Here the same person singing both as a child and adult, Heintje, thanks

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.