Fave pop/rock tune?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Mayalily wrote:

3)  Fleetwood Mac (just about all)

Which

Fleetwood Mac?

Anybody that was an aficionado of Pete Green's band would

consider the

Buckingham-Nicks collaboration pop-pap as

MoR saccharin kitsch.

FAIL!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dance DVD I'd probably pick as the best sounding Fleetwood Mac ever, especially if you have a home theatre!  Buckingham-Nicks, I've never heard that CD, though I have heard of it.   ETA:  I just had to put Fleetwood Mac in my list because of their Rumors body of work.  I don't think that will ever be duplicated as a body of work showing the emotions of a breakup, a divorce, and Christine McVie falling in love again while she was divorcing her alcoholic husband.  Rumors (but especially THE DANCE recording is so incredible) takes one thru all the emotions of love and heartbreak and falling in love again, and it's an artistically amazing body of work that definately could be one of the best collections of the emotions of love for all time.  

Didn't have time to look for a video of Emerson, Lake and Palmer with Keith Emerson twirling around his organ, but watching him play keyboards is always amazing!   Keith Emerson I think may be the greatest musician of the 20th Century, genius terrority here with Keith Emerson.  I think ELP, pure musical genius!

Mayalily wrote:

The Dance DVD I'd probably pick as the best sounding Fleetwood Mac ever, especially if you have a home theatre!  Buckingham-Nicks, I've never heard that CD, though I have heard of it.   ETA:  I just had to put Fleetwood Mac in my list because of their Rumors body of work.  I don't think that will ever be duplicated as a body of work showing the emotions of a breakup, a divorce, and Christine McVie falling in love again while she was divorcing her alcoholic husband.  Rumors (but especially THE DANCE recording is so incredible) takes one thru all the emotions of love and heartbreak and falling in love again, and it's an artistically amazing body of work that definately could be one of the best collections of the emotions of love for all time.  

The pre-emo

rubbish version of

Fleetwood Mac then.

It doesnt

surprise me.

Quinn Morani wrote:

Sylvia! Isn't it
of Rolling In the Deep that's supposed to be your favorite?

Thank you, Quinn! I'd just got here and was as shocked as you at Sylvia's 'error'. I know what she means about those coconut drinks, tho. Still had one in my hand when I woke up the next morning (how I got home I'll never know).

I used to have an imaginary top five, then I expanded it to ten, than I just quit trying: there are WAY too many. But here are five (in no particular order) that I will always stop what I'm doing to listen to:

Fly Like a Bird, Boz Scaggs

Try a Little Tenderness, Otis Redding (with The Commitments a very close second)

Truckin', Grateful Dead

Southern Cross, Crosby Stills & Nash

The Medley on Side 2 of Abbey Road (starts with 'You Never Give Me Your Money'

See, that's why I gave up on lists. Johnny Cash doing a cover of Nine Inch Nails is also one of the songs I will stop what I'm doing to hear. I happen to know some 'young people' (as in under twenty-five) who are very into music—musicians, in fact—and they all dig Johnny Cash. Something about that guy resonates with almost everyone. He never really had a genre. He was just him.

And there are no words for Izzy. There used to be a youtube of that tune over a video of a woman and her two(?)-year old daughter at the beach; making sand castles, stuff like that. I said at the time that if you could watch that without at least getting a little misty you weren't human. You might not even be mammalian. Unfortunately the people who own the rights to his songs had that video taken down. Doesn't matter. He made us all feel it. I remember the first time I heard it, thinking, "Wow, this guy doesn't even get the lyrics right but I don't care!".

I hadn't heard the Guns N' Roses (I sorta skipped that scene) but you're right: it's a pretty song.

I thought about this thread and thought about and thought about it, how could I ever chose only 5 favourite songs, I don't think any of them were world wide hits but they're hits to me.  I'll give it a shot, can't promise I can keep it to 5 though :smileyvery-happy:

Nick Cave has to be in my top 5 and teamed with another of my fav aussie singers Chris Bailey and I chose this one, Bring it On.

Which leads me to another in my top 5, The Saints - Know Your Product

More recent fav The Jets - Are you going to be my girl. Ow!

I've seen this band many many times and I will never get sick of this song. You am I - Berlin Chair. I prefer the aussie vid but the US one had better sound quality

Another band I'd spent many a friday night singing along to, loudly The Cruel Sea - The Honeymoon is Over.  Wish I could find the original video but alas no, only this

The Clouds - Hieronymus. That's 6. I don't think I can stop!

And my attempt to comply with your request for a world wide hit (not sure about smash) :matte-motes-smile: Bowie - Life on Mars

Hi there Maryanne, I wish I could see them again, one of my favourite bands to see live but I hear Tex and his Ladyboys tour around from time to time, not the same as the Cruel Sea but funny :smileyvery-happy: I laughed when I saw you posted the clip of TISM's Greg the Stop Sign in another thread, who else but an aussie would know that song lmao.

I had a fun trip down memory lane when I posted in your thread, although I'm guessing most people aren't going to have heard of most of the bands I posted, I had a lot of fun finding them. :matte-motes-smile:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.