What are we going to call it? Chatbook, SLitter?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Keli Kyrie wrote:

So now that we have this Social Networking Thingy how do we refer to it? What is it name? Anyone have any suggestions?

I like SLitter, because it has "litter" in it.  It's also what you'll probably do with your wrists when you open your inbox and there's 497 new messages about your feed wall.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it should be called anything that has a chopped off part of Twitter or Facebook in its description.

Facebook is its own thing, and Twitter is its own thing, and Second Life is its own thing.

So any combining of those words to me just sounds disparaging, often times those who hate Facebook or Twitter will refer to them as some play on their official name, like Twitface and such, which sounds pretty juvenile and phobic, I think.

Sooo..I'm thinking like we sound should say stuff like, hey , did you read my post on your wall? On my feed? yeah! your profile! oh cool, I love bunnies too! 

:P

Keli Kyrie wrote:

So just the Feed or the Wall?!? That kind of works doesn't it? Did you see the Feed on SL today or OMG did you see what Quinn posted on my wall.
;)

@ Janelle sorry about that
:P

Yeah. The people that use it will know what that means, and the ones who abhor it will come up with litterealy a million and seven names for it.

I don't think there is A Feed, is there? we each have our own feed, yes?

Keli Kyrie wrote:

So just the Feed or
the Wall
?!? That kind of works doesn't it? Did you see the Feed on SL today or OMG did you see what Quinn posted on my wall.
;)

Wait... are we talking about the Berlin Wall?  Or the Vietnam War Memorial wall?  Or the Pink Floyd version with the creepy guy and the ... flowers

I'm so confused...

Some will like this new feature and have a use for it.  I think it's a piece of piffle that i don't need. There are more than enough places to post vapid little soundbites as it is.  

I'm guessing those who already use FB and Twitter a lot will love this new feature.  I don't and won't. 

I had to stop and think about this (dangerous, I know).  :smileytongue:

When someone says "The Wall", is it strange that the first thing in my head was Pink Floyd?  I'm betting someone from Germany and a Vietnam vet would automatically think other things (and probably have the same negative reaction, maybe).

Sorry for the lame derail, Keli.  Carry on.  :smileywink:

i'll call it feed at the moment, but i would call it blog.

this is like your public notices, at difference of sending messages to your groups, where only a fraction of the people you know are going to recieve it, or IM where only one person can recieve it, or local chat, where only the poeple close enough will recieve it.

this will be useful for people who have blogs, putting their thoughts public.

Keli Kyrie wrote:

Ceera Murakami wrote:

Spam.

Because that is all it is to most of us. More spam, in our profiles, e-mail and IM's, unless we opt out of this inanne idea.

I've opted out of the feed (set it to Nobody in privacy settings) and unchecked all SIX notification checkboxes, for every one of my accounts.

But it is just like hanging out with your friends and chatting in local but you do not need to be logged into a Viewer to do it.

More like having your Friends barge in on you, any time of day or night, hanging out arouhnd you, whether you want them around or not.

Janelle Darkstone wrote:

I had to stop and think about this (dangerous, I know).  :smileytongue:

When someone says "The Wall", is it strange that the first thing in my head was Pink Floyd?  I'm betting someone from Germany and a Vietnam vet would automatically think other things (and probably have the same negative reaction, maybe).

Sorry for the lame derail, Keli.  Carry on.  :smileywink:

I wouldn't exactly call it lame, Janelle. Perhaps not quite up to your standards—didn't even have a racy pic—but certainly not lame ;-). BTW I'm leaning toward SLitter, including the wrist reference. But if everyone goes with the Feed, that would work too. I'll have to find a clip from "Cool Hand Luke" for that scene where Paul Newman yells, "Stop feeding on me!"

Incidentally, even though I set my own Feed to "Nobody" for every account I have, and unchecked and opted out of every "Notification" from those feeds, my "Home" page in my profile is STILL getting spam from any Friend that chooses to use this so-called 'feature', and I CAN NOT TURN IT OFF!.

I can't even post a reply back to them to tell them to stop spamming all their friends, wuthout first re-enabling the Feed for myself! It looks like I can, but there's no save/send button if you have your own feed disabled.

So my new name for it is "Landfill". It's just an endless pile of garbage that I don't want and can't get rid of!

Keli Kyrie wrote:

But it is just like hanging out with your friends and chatting in local but you do not need to be logged into a Viewer to do it.

If that were all it was, no problem, but the intitial default settings for who can see stuff or post to the pseudo-chat area, were insanely insecure.

A lot of it has been fixed, but the Lindens have had such wonderful success with hasty server changes that I'm not willing to trust it. And no sign of announcements or instructions. I;m not taking any chances with my (sometimes) personal Second Life.

Well, I like it! :matte-motes-big-grin: Since notifications can be turned on and off, it is very easy to simply ignore it if you don't want to use it.   That's what is so great about SL imo.  There is something for pretty much for everyone. What's the saying?...   "Variety is the spice of life". 

Lexie Linden wrote:

Well, I like it! :matte-motes-big-grin: Since notifications can be turned on and off, it is very easy to simply ignore it if you don't want to use it.   That's what is so great about SL imo.  There is something for pretty much for everyone. What's the saying?...   "Variety is the spice of life". 

That's fine for you, Lexi. Some people like playing Polka music 24x7 at full volume on a jam box on their apartment balcony too. But that doesn't mean their neighbors want to listen to it!

PLEASE give us a way to opt out completely from this! Don't clutter my profile with a useless "home" page that will be nothing but a landfill of chat spam that I don't ever want to see.

Yes, I can keep it from spamming my IM's and my e-mail, IF I OPT OUT.

I can't keep it from filling my profile with spam on that "home" page.

Right now, every time I log in to my.secondlife.com, that "home" page is the first screen I get, even though I have disabled every Feed option abvailable to me. I can't do anything I went there for without first navigating out of that landfill to the About page.

I suppose I could just delete everyone on my Friends list. Is that what it will take to have a useful profile with no unwanted clutter? Would it kill you to give us an OFF switch?

That's pretty awful. I have not logged in since Saturday, due to things in RL that I focus on.

But I fear that I'll log into a heap of garbage. As if capped IMs wasn't bad enough before this!

Not that I'm totally negative to it. It just lack options. I would like to se "Read" and "Write" separated. I could want all SL to read my profile, but allow Nobody or just Friends to write on it. Especially now that I have turned off notifications, because I hoped this would prevent me from getting spammed.

How is it working if we use "Nobody" on the feeds? Can a merchant find my profile in SL, if I send a complaint and they want to send a replacement? This is really important to me. 

As I said... I don't hate it, but LL really need to give us more control over it. If I really get spam from my friends, even after I turn off notifications? Well, welcome to unfriending... 

There must be a way to turn it off already. i have one friend on my list that the "Feed" tab is totally missing. You can still see her profile but no feeds at all. She is very, very smart so if there was a way to turn it off I am sure she figured it out already. Since it is off I can't ask her how she did it till I get inworld tonight. :o

Oh, you can turn off the "Feed" tab all right. Look at my profile there. That's done by going to Privacy settings and setting "Feed" to "Nobody".

I'm talking about the page you get when you log in to my.secondlife.com, or click the "Home" link there. That feed is every last bit of drivel from every Friend that you have! And you can NOT turn that mess off.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.