What are we going to call it? Chatbook, SLitter?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I do understand (and appreciate) the reasons for particular opinions of whether the feature has been well implemented, but I'm not sure I understand the very high levels of distress in some of the posts.

For myself, normally when I go to my profile, it is inworld using the dialog box in Firestorm (switched a month or so ago, when new SL kept crashing). Keli is the only reason I looked at the my.secondlife.com version today. Although, I've:

• Turned off notifications, because they have proven to be a pain right out of the gate, with flooded email and capped messages in world,
  • Set the Feed to Friends only to prevent random, inappropriate posts coming in, and
  • Found the Home page full of stuff from the Feed

I don't actually see any actual harm being done by the mere existence of the Feed on the Home page. The fact that "it's cluttered" does not constitute harm. With the notifications and privacy set correctly, the my.secondlife.com page will have no negative impact on me simply because I will rarely use it.

I will say that the Default settings for notifications should all be disabled and security settings should all be set to No One, until the resident logs in and chooses to reconfigure. Then, allow residents to choose to enable notifications, and choose to reduce the security protection if it suits them.

The one benefit I did learn about was the ability to request/accept friendship and IM from the my.secondlife.com profile page, and I can see myself using that from time to time.

For those who are part of the modern social media craze, I can see the Feed being a great addition, provided that in the future I don't have to keep checking my profile on my.secondlife.com to figure out if some new change has compromised the settings I thought I had.

EDIT: Sorry Ceera, meant to reply to the OP

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lexie Linden wrote:

Well, I like it! :matte-motes-big-grin: Since notifications can be turned on and off, it is very easy to simply ignore it if you don't want to use it.   That's what is so great about SL imo.  There is something for pretty much for everyone. What's the saying?...   "Variety is the spice of life". 

Of course you like it. You have to like it as a person officially representing Linden Lab - no matter if it's the biggest idiocy since the invention of cooking by paranormal brainwaves or the greatest idea since the introduction of sliced bread.

However why should I ignore features that are intrusively annoying like the permanent spam of friends on the litter wall or being pushed to Facebook by those privacy-neglecting "like" buttons that are plastered on each and every profile or the even "improved Facebook integration" without any option to turn this off? Is this really so difficult to give users options? Especially if things affect their privacy? And before a storm of outrage hits the forums, JIRA or now the feeds of LL employees?

If you turn off notifications and you don't post to the feed I don't see how it affects your privacy? There will be nothing what so ever for anyone to see when they go to your profile. With notifications off people will see nothing, they won't even see a Feed tab for you. If you don't post people won't even know if you ever read it, there is no way for them to know that. If anyone's privacy is being affected it is your friends that think you don't use it. You see you can see everything they type and they have no way of knowing if you even read it. :smileysurprised:

You mean that Facebook "like" button on the old web profiles didn't affect my privacy? As everyone clicking on it pushed your profile to Zuckerberg's money machine? Or the fact that all privacy settings are set to allow the whole Internet see your profile and post stuff on it by default? Sometimes I think some sort of driver's license for the Internet is badly needed!

Ansariel Hiller wrote:

Lexie Linden wrote:

Well, I like it! :matte-motes-big-grin: Since notifications can be turned on and off, it is very easy to simply ignore it if you don't want to use it.   That's what is so great about SL imo.  There is something for pretty much for everyone. What's the saying?...   "Variety is the spice of life". 

Of course you like it. You have to like it as a person officially representing Linden Lab - no matter if it's the biggest idiocy since the invention of cooking by paranormal brainwaves or the greatest idea since the introduction of sliced bread.[...]

I don't believe this has ever been true... there probably is a onus attached to "hating" a feature, but plenty of lindens have expressed disinterest in, or acknowledgement of features they don't use or are "broken". Torley is a good example, despite his irrepressible cheerfulness and exitment about playing with every new feature, he's been vocal in the past on things he saw as not being right, and done a lot to get them fixed.

Lexie Linden wrote:

You get paid to like it, or say you like it, like the other Linden people get paid to tolerate Viewer 2, even though I know several of the Lindens cannot stand it.

I normally blow smoke up your arses, and let Oskar use me as a footstool, but FFS this heap of spammy nonsense is only for those with the sheep mentality, the type of people who would be passing silly little notes around the classroom to their mates when they were at school.

It's not for me, but thanks anyway.

Have a nice day.

Oh, puh-leaze......like that is gonna happen.  When have LL ever listened to their customers and incorporated the things their customers wanted? hmmm?  Want a little bit of time to think about it?  

The Lindens work for a corporation that 'encourages' them to do certain things in line with LL's, erm, 'dynamic' decisions.  

I used to have a friend worked for LL as a Linden in the good old days of emerald.  Guess which viewer she used as did a fair few other Lindens?  When the travesty that was V2 was launched the Lindens were 'encouraged' to use V2 from then on in....and , I suspect, you know that damm fine well.  

It was hoped by some that ole Rod would maybe not embrace the 'facebooking' of SL, and appeciate it's unique status and build on what was once fabulous, albeit flawed by LL's constant shooting themselves in the foot.  Alas, it seems he is determined to continue the decline and usher us toward social networking sites.   

Worse, some of the sheep on SL are actually falling for this nonsense.  The shills are gonna be busy, methinks. :matte-motes-silly:

Kasya Sciavo wrote:

It was hoped by some that ole Rod would maybe not embrace the 'facebooking' of SL, and appeciate it's unique status and build on what was once fabulous, albeit flawed by LL's constant shooting themselves in the foot.  Alas, it seems he is determined to continue the decline and usher us toward social networking sites.   

EXACTLY!!!!!!! *meows*

iLove it ;)

iLove my sl friends and want to be as connected to them as I am to anyone else on the web. I can't wait until we can post pics and links and videos etc. My settings are wide open, no spam yet, if I get spam I'll just delete it and block the sender. So far it's a friendly chat space that I can use when not logged in. 

Yep, iLove it.

I'll also add .. the feed was where I found out about this topic. Since I don't frequent this forum and Keli doesn't tweet, it gives me another way to find out about her threads. And concerning features and privacy, this is a work in progress. Rodvik has made this clear in his posts. Several changes were made last night nearly as fast as jira's were filed. It will evolve and grow according to user feedback. There is a thread at SLU devoted to this topic where many questions are answered.

om Piers wrote:

Ceera, I had a thought. Why not just bookmark your Profile and go directly to that (e.g. my "Profile" page is
, but my home page is 

Then you never have to see the Home page clutter again. As far as I can tell, the one and only purpose of the Home page is to hold the Feed clutter.

That is fine, for people who only have one or two accounts. I have several, and every time I log out and log back in as a differerent account, I have to waste time to navigate past that worthless Home page again. Every time I want to look at anyone else's profile now, I'll see that stupid 'feed' tab and have to waste clicks and time navigating past the spam to the actual profile info I wanted to read.

Yes, It's only one extra click. Per change of login. Per profile you look at... Every time...

It's like many of the other counter-productive changes in V2. Things that used to be possible with a single click now take many more clicks, to do the same function, as you needlessly tunnel down through sub panes, and back up, and back down again, for things you used to be able to do on a single screen, with one click per action. "Oh you can still do it, with a few more clicks." doesn't cut it. That 'few more clicks multiplies with every change and action, and soon becomes very counter-productive.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.