Do you Play Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Second life is a type of virtual world..

The others are types of virtual worlds as well..

They all have certain things in common that make them virtual worlds..

A lot call it a virtual internet..

The way LL designed it ..It sure looks and acts like one..

So maybe it is a virtual internet and not just a virtual world..

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ceka Cianci wrote:

the internet is quite real.

SL is a virtual world.

"I'm here to play games with you". That would be an interesting way to approach other Residents. It wouldn't be my first choice. 

If a Resident enjoys playing games and believes SL is a game, then it is games you will have when interacting with that Resident.

I believe games can be played and are played in SL. The magic of Second Life is "it's your SL".   

Knowl Paine wrote:

"I'm here to play games with you". That would be an interesting way to approach other Residents. It wouldn't be my first choice. 

If a Resident enjoys playing games and believes SL is a game, then it is games you will have when interacting with that Resident.

I believe games can be played and are played in SL. The magic of Second Life is "it's your SL".   

a taxi is a car but a car isn't a taxi.

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

SL is a virtual world.

It's a virtual world alright..It's a type of virtual world..

It's type is a virtual internet within the internet where you can do a lot of the things you can do on the net..

A lot of people involved with the development of second life have predicted that it is the next stage of the internet..

Maybe not second life itself but something like it..It may or maynot happen..But you can bet it's based on it..

Just look at how we have to move around or find anything on the grid..Look at what is consistant in it..

We use a browser...We use SLURLs and use a search engine and other forms of links.. People are paying for server space for thier own SLURS to design their little worlds/sites as they wish..

It's a type virtual world for sure..One that does have a main theme. a net based theme which can take you to anyones site..

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

SL is a virtual world.

It's type is a virtual internet within the internet where you can do a lot of the things you can do on the net..

A lot of people involved with the development of second life have predicted that it is the next stage of the internet..

Maybe not second life itself but something like it..It may or maynot happen..But you can bet it's based on it..

Just look at how we have to move around or find anything on the grid..Look at what is consistant in it..

We use a browser...We use SLURLs and use a search engine and other forms of links.. People are paying for server space for thier own SLURS to design their little worlds/sites as they wish..

It's a type virtual world for sure..One that does have a main theme. a net based theme which can take you to anyones site..

how the heck is the internet virtual?

Jacki Silverfall wrote:

Entertainment Manager? We have a entertainment manager?:smileysurprised:

Unofficially. Well, that's how *I* view our Keli.

However, whether Keli is an Entertainments Manager or a Manager of Entertainment, or a Manager to be Entertained, that is no more up for discussion than whether SL is a game or not. :matte-motes-nerdy:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

SL is a virtual world.

Bleh..I am saying it's theme is it based as a small version of the net..

a virtual worlds version of the internet hehehe

i never said it wasn't a virtual world..i just said it was a type of virtual world..

Am I in a bad mood today?  No, not really.  I was in a fine mood until I saw the title of this thread with the picture that already answers itself. 

Title:  Do you Play Second Life:

Answer:  No I just log in and stand there in one spot, have myself on mute, and then I log out again. 

Of course we play in SL.  That question already answers itself.

A better thread title would have been:  Do you play sports in SL?  

Not in a bad mood, but I would like some interesting threads that don't involve whether SL is a game or not.

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

SL is a virtual world.

Bleh..I am saying it's theme is it based as a small version of the net..

i never said it wasn't a virtual world..i just said it was a type of virtual world..

meh. thats silly.

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

a taxi is a car but a car isn't a taxi.

I agree, one should look for signs or something written on the car to indicate that it is a taxi.

I believe that games are and can be played in SL. My SL is not a game. If other Residents believe it is a game, so be it for them. All I can do is to try to honor their wishes by not treating them seriously.

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Bleh..I am saying it's theme is it based as a small version of the net

meh. thats silly.

Huh uh.

If it's not a game, then it must be real.........at least that's what I'm hearing.  That's really beyond the pale.  Next you'll be telling that that Picaso painting is real too...........no, it's a real piece of art but it ain't real.  And the movie "Avatar" is real too?  Come on, you need to get "real" in your own life..........it's the immersion that causes many to loose sight of reality.  And that's not healthy. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

People who refuse to recognize that the word game has a specific meaning are living in a fantasy. By your definition one could say that just about anything is a game, even life itself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome back to the thread, Maya.  I understand you are expressing your views regarding the motivations of the OP.  However, only the OP can speak to her motivations, right?

You are answering the OP for everyone with your statement 'Of course we play in SL.'  Thank you for not answering for me.

If you have an idea for a 'better thread', post it!!  I promise to come participate.

Did I say 'welcome back to the thread'?  /me smiles

i am not saying that SL is a game for everyone all the time and thats all that it is, i say that second life with its flexibility, it can be a game if the user decide it so.

"A game is a competition within a controlled environment for the sole purpose of deriving please."

a game don't need competition to be one, there is a card game called solitaire that is not designed to compete against anyone, we have a controlled environment and for some users its sole purpose is deriving please.

a game is a form of entertainment in which you interact following some objectives under certain rules, which makes talking to your friends, watching tv, not games. admiring art, or use it as a tool to express aesthetics or ideologies makes art not a game.

you make it what you want it to be, you have the elements in front of you to be used, why not it can be used as a game? to be a vampire and bring blood to your clan, or become an explorer and walk across the grid, to be a reporter and write notes about events in second life, i am not implying that is a game to everyone, it is a game for the people that use it that way.

Venus Petrov wrote:

Keli has provided forum 'residents' with plenty of fun and laughter, as have some others.  BTW, welcome back to this thread.

Hehe Couldn't stay away. I realized that it is a new thread to some.

It can produce drama though.

/me apologizes to Keli for beating the horse.

ETA Yay, just learned how to insert a quote!

Honestly, Mayalily, you sound like you are jealous of Keli and the fact that she is well-liked here!

Perhaps you could give us an example of "interesting threads" by starting some of your own, since you find this one so deficient. I really don't see the purpose in coming into this thread and saying the things that you have said. I'm sure there are people who don't care for the threads and posts you write, but they don't insult you, do they?

Jacki Silverfall wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

Keli has provided forum 'residents' with plenty of fun and laughter, as have some others.  BTW, welcome back to this thread.

np

I like that you say "can produce drama..." but do you see that as a good thing or a bad thing? :smileytongue:

Keli Kyrie wrote:

Jacki Silverfall wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

np

I like that you say
"can produce drama..."
but do you see that as a good thing or a bad thing? :smileytongue:

It keeps me coming back! :smileyvery-happy:

Well, we don't just stand there, never move, and have our ownselves on mute.

Of course we play stuff.  I peeked into the Vanity thread and saw oh about three or four pictures.  I saw your photo of the wood nymph (very creative design, btw), so you're really a wood nymph and not playing one? 

I play a fairy on SL sometimes, and sometimes a mermaid, but I'm not one in real life tho. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.