Do you Play Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4647 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not a matter of wanting or not wanting to call it a game. It is NOT period.

SL is a platform / virtual environment where you CAN play games.. Every one who keeps telling SL is a game is either hard headed or...well..never mind. If SL is a game then the Internet is a game as well. 

Of course, i realize, for some people life itself is a game so SL probably is too. Now to hope they can play all levels, find all secrets and win the bonus level!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game

we are an experimental project for linden lab, they move us around, they change our rules, they do what they want with us, they play with us and see what comes out better.

i use second life as a form of entertainment in a very immersive way, so in those terms i could say i play it, that doesnt mean that its a game, because there are users that dont play it.

we both play each other at a certain level.

People who refuse to recognize the fact that SL is a game have some fantasy about it being some creative world where you have a parallel "Second Life".............and isn't Linden Lab glad you folks think that way.  I've read all the definitions that those purists (I tend to think of them that way) throw at you.............and it's still a game.  It uses a gaming platform with some major additions (such as nothing is stored locally on your computer, users can "create" their own environment, and there's not clear "goal".  What about all those merchants?  Isn't their goal to play as some shop owner making their fortune, the estate owners (Monopoly, anyone?)?  How about those who build their fantasy home (I used to play with my dolls in my doll house)?

It's a game.  Pure and simple.  A unique game to be sure............but just a game.  When you shut down your computer, it's over until the next time you log in.  Immersionists crack me up.  :matte-motes-big-grin:

Yes I do play second life. If you are careful about it it only brings you pleasure & joy. I also learn second life.

What started as and what still is a technical exercise for me, allows me to advance my skills in an online environment at a level of complexity of my choosing.

I can't think of any other environment where you can enjoy it immensely and learn at the same time. One of the things LL would do well to emphasise to the broader web.

Maybe it should be gamified somewhat, by way of a voluntary inworld kudos/reporting system, (when a less familiar user who is not an alt reports you as having helped them) and ranks resulting in a predetermined scale of reduced land fees? Then there would be a kind of formal end goal for those who seek such a thing. There would have to be proof such as a submission to the governer or something to protect it from being exploited, such as individual determinations by a nominated LL employee/custodian type person.

Or if you gain enough credits you can have a last name or special historic last name of your choosing or something. There are a whole heap of initiatives that could be implemented from a long term plan. I don't believe that these are original ideas I am proposing. I am sure others MUST have presented similar in the past.

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

People who refuse to recognize the fact that SL is a game have some fantasy about it being some creative world where you have a parallel "Second Life".............and isn't Linden Lab glad you folks think that way.  I've read all the definitions that those purists (I tend to think of them that way) throw at you.............and it's still a game.  It uses a gaming platform with some major additions (such as nothing is stored locally on your computer, users can "create" their own environment, and there's not clear "goal".  What about all those merchants?  Isn't their goal to play as some shop owner making their fortune, the estate owners (Monopoly, anyone?)?  How about those who build their fantasy home (I used to play with my dolls in my doll house)?

It's a game.  Pure and simple.  A unique game to be sure............but just a game.  When you shut down your computer, it's over until the next time you log in.  Immersionists crack me up.  :matte-motes-big-grin:

People who refuse to recognize that the word game has a specific meaning are living in a fantasy. By your definition one could say that just about anything is a game, even life itself.

Six Igaly wrote:

It is not a matter of wanting or not wanting to call it a game. It is NOT period. 

/me hands your period back to you

Thanks, but I won't be needing this :) I'll define Second Life for myself in any way I see fit, tyvm. My world, my definition.

PS: If I can be a human, a hominid, an ape, a primate, a simian, a mammal, a vertebrate, an animal, an eukaryote, an organism, an omnivore, a heterotroph, a plantigrade, and many other things at the same time, I see no reason why SL can't be a computer game (also among many other things).

Philip Linden, 4/7/06: "I'm not a gamer, and SL isn't a game. From the start, we/LL observed that something like SL would have it's first uses in entertainment, and then grow beyond those uses and people became more confident in the capabilities of the new platform/OS/whatever-we-want-to-call-it. So we focused on making SL very exciting and visceral and inspirational, but not on making it a game.

The future that we are all most passionate about is creating a new version of the world with a fundamentally different and better set of capabilities, and then see what happens when we all move there. This means we want SL to be able to reach everyone in the world, to be able to scale to 100's of millions of users and millions of servers, and to remain an open decentralized system in which creativity rules."

seconds life plays me, and I'll prove it with the next paragraph....

to all the mentally deficient, anti-social, and uninspired people insisting SL is nothing but a game, please apply for your rectal crainiotomies soon. Painters, sculptors, writers, designers and friends have been doing near exactly the same things outside of SL for a millennium or two, but suddenly those activities are games because it's on a computer? because you say so? please get a life and a clue if you think that lack of [ability and/or common sense] in any way defines reality for anyone else, let alone the majority of users.

see, SL played on my dislike of wannabe hipster absolutists that couldn't find their own rear ends with two hands, a map, and a seeing eye dog, despite the depth their head is already present.

Like RL, some ppl playing with their lives some are more serious about.

Every person has a certain choice and a personal perspective for life.

I love to play but also I have to be serious with my job.

The same in SL

When I want to play I play and when I'm working.....brother I do my work ;)

It's a matter of perspective and what you want or do not want from it.

To avoid being butthurt - SL and the people I am dealing with is nothing but just a game.
To make the most of the pleasure it gives me - SL and the people I'm involved with is More than JUST a game.

But most of time, I'm like this:

/me picks a daisy, plucks the petals one by one and say,

"SL is a game...
SL is not a game....
SL is a game...
SL is not a game...
SL is a game....
Sl is not a game..."

the perception of second life is subjective, for some people it is a game, they play it as a game because they wish it so, it is many things for many users, for some is a way to make money or to study abroad, second life can be multiple things to a user, between those things a game.

if it is a game then is a very unusual one. nothing that we are used to, like having an objective or collect some points.

its one of the most incredible abilities of second life, to be all those things at the same time.

Canoro Philipp wrote:

the perception of second life is subjective, for some people it is a game, they play it as a game because they wish it so, it is many things for many users, for some is a way to make money or to study abroad, second life can be multiple things to a user, between those things a game.

if it is a game then is a very unusual one. nothing that we are used to, like having an objective or collect some points.

its one of the most incredible abilities of second life, to be all those things at the same time.

I think the reasoning behind this argument is that SL is entertaining, therefore SL must be a game. Which is silly. Music is entertaining yet no one would call it a game, TV is entertaining yet no one calls it a game, talking to your friends is entertaining yet no one calls it a game, painting is entertaining yet no one calls it a game. What magical property of SL makes these activity suddenly become games when done in SL?

A game is a competition within a controlled environment for the sole purpose of deriving please. There is only one form of competition in SL (selling things) and you can gain more than merely pleasure from it. Therefore SL fails to meet the definition of a game.

I think the problem is that people have trouble detaching the platform from the activities they do within the platform. Just because there is a game show on TV doesn't mean the TV is a game. Just because I play a game in RL doesn't mean that RL is a game. Like wise, just because I do something within SL that is entertaining or even a game doesn't mean that SL itself is a game.

For something to be a game, it has to have gameplay. Second Life itself does not have any gameplay, so it's not a game and it never was. Some games have been created inside it but SL itself is not a game. It's not a grey definition and it's not even open to debate.

Fuelled by my suprising (to me, at least, but not it seems to others) success at playing a born again SL virgin over several years, I've recently turned my hand to playing a dom. Even with the assistance of voice morphing, I'm still at the stage where people are finding it very hard to take me seriously. But that will pass, right?

Keli Kyrie wrote:

Some like it rough, some like it spaced-out and some don't like you to call it a game at all...

So what do you think: Do you play SL or does it play you...

or is it something all together different than anything else?

Second Life, for me, is not a game, but is a recreational hobby, in the same way as cross-stitch, photography, or crossword puzzles, or visiting an art gallery.

culture.jpg

It is also a way of playing "dolls house" as an adult.

come in.jpg

fridge.jpg

And it's definitely different to anything else, different things to different people, different things to me on different days. A place to be sociable, a place to find own-space, immersive some days, challenging on other days.

And a whole heap of fun! And fun, is really what it has to be - for me.

But not a game.

Yes of course. You can play a human, a hominid, an ape, a primate, a simian, a mammal, a vertebrate, an animal, an eukaryote, an organism, an omnivore, a heterotroph or a plantigrade on this platform called SL.

I'd better rephrase myself.

I do NOT play SL. Playing implies it is not real. To me however SL is real (as in Virtual Reality). I'm not playing i create stuff, i just create it. I'm not playing i meet people, i just meet them. I'm not playing i enjoy SL, i just enjoy it. If i am sarcastic well, then i am. If i laugh then i'm having fun. Period :matte-motes-oh-rly:

I think Second Life's definition is correct. Second Life is not A Game.

The people that are using them however are divided into three:
1. Those who thinks it is not real and thus seeing it as a game
2. Those who thinks it is real and as real as their real life can be will therefore thinks it is not a game
3. Those like me who reacts in both ways according to the situation and people they are in or with. Those I think is not real will become my game. Those who thinks everything is real, I will not play games with them.

Canoro Philipp wrote:

I think the reasoning behind this argument is that SL is entertaining, therefore SL must be a game. Which is silly. Music is entertaining yet no one would call it a game, TV is entertaining yet no one calls it a game, talking to your friends is entertaining yet no one calls it a game, painting is entertaining yet no one calls it a game. What magical property of SL makes these activity suddenly become games when done in SL?

A game is a competition within a controlled environment for the sole purpose of deriving please. There is only one form of competition in SL (selling things) and you can gain more than merely pleasure from it. Therefore SL fails to meet the definition of a game.

I think the problem is that people have trouble detaching the platform from the activities they do within the platform. Just because there is a game show on TV doesn't mean the TV is a game. Just because I play a game in RL doesn't mean that RL is a game. Like wise, just because I do something within SL that is entertaining or even a game doesn't mean that SL itself is a game.

I agree 100% I can add another example. Actors "playing" their roles but movies or theater aren't games :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4647 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.