Do you Play Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mayalily wrote:

Well, we don't just stand there, never move, and have our ownselves on mute.

Of course we play stuff.  I peeked into the Vanity thread and saw oh about three or four pictures.  I saw your photo of the wood nymph (very creative design, btw), so you're really a wood nymph and not playing one? 

I play a fairy on SL sometimes, and sometimes a mermaid, but I'm not one in real life tho. 

i am a normal guy in SL, i have a partner 4500 miles away from me, we sell things to pay the  rent, we go to listen to music in clubs, we plan our future together.

is that playing? i don't think so.

an interesting thing to note, is how english uses "play".

english uses "play" also to execute a certain art form, like a musical instrument or an actor interpreting a character, in another languages they have a separate word for being participant of a game and another for executing a certain art form.

i see "play" as a word exclusive of a game.

in spanish, "playing" is equal to "gaming", which it refers to a game.

SL is a platform, upon which you may build a virtual reality, a game, a business, a relationship, a role to play, a playhouse, a social network, an entertainment venue, an advertising network, an art venue, a creative outlet, a charitable organization, etc.  In the beginning, though, it is just a platform, until you choose to do something with it.

It is not fair to open a store, list hundreds of items and then go on vacation for 3 months. If any Residents complains about your absence you tell them "I'm playing a game with you".  

A Resident has the right to seek any level of sincerity in a SL relationship as they see fit. An honorable Resident would inform a prospective partner in advance that anything we do together, "is a game".

Part of my opposition towards calling SL a Game is in preventing the belief that one can do no wrong, because, this is all a Game.

A minor point of opposition is in knowing that many Residents are really working hard and trying to obtain success in SL. Saying that their efforts are just a game, is a bit of a stinger; a real buzz kill.

Canoro Philipp wrote:

i am not saying that SL is a game for everyone all the time and thats all that it is, i say that second life with its flexibility, it can be a game if the user decide it so.

"A game is a competition within a controlled environment for the sole purpose of deriving please."

a game don't need competition to be one, there is a card game called solitaire that is not designed to compete against anyone, we have a controlled environment and for some users its sole purpose is deriving please.

a game is a form of entertainment in which you interact following some objectives under certain rules, which makes talking to your friends, watching tv, not games. admiring art, or use it as a tool to express aesthetics or ideologies makes art not a game.

you make it what you want it to be, you have the elements in front of you to be used, why not it can be used as a game? to be a vampire and bring blood to your clan, or become an explorer and walk across the grid, to be a reporter and write notes about events in second life, i am not implying that is a game to everyone, it is a game for the people that use it that way.

This just shows that you completely missed the point of what I was saying. Yes you can play games in SL, just as you can play games in RL. But that doesn't mean that SL is a game any more than RL is a game. Look at your list of games people play in SL..and oh wait there's the answer right there in how I phrased it; games in SL. None of them are SL itself, they are things we made from within.

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

If it's not a game, then it must be real.........at least that's what I'm hearing.  That's really beyond the pale.  Next you'll be telling that that Picaso painting is real too...........no, it's a real piece of art but it ain't real.  And the movie "Avatar" is real too?  Come on, you need to get "real" in your own life..........it's the immersion that causes many to loose sight of reality.  And that's not healthy. 

A theatre is real but the play performed in it is not. A television set is real but the show you watch on it is not.

If my immersion is causing me to loose sight of reality then your stubborn insistence in only seeing the world in black and white is causing you permanent brain damage.

I think the confusion cropping up is when you combine the word "play" with "game".

You can't use those words together when talking about SL, unless you're playing a game within it.

However, you CAN use the word "game" for SL for the same reason an MMO is called a "game". It's a virtual world. It's not real. Yes, you can have real experiences and real interactions and real relationships in Second Life... But you can do that in any MMO.

So while SL is not a game that you play, it can still fall under the category of online world... Traditionally called an online game.

What you do once you log in and how seriously you take it (sometimes to unhealthy levels) is up to the individual.

Gadget Portal wrote:

I think the confusion cropping up is when you combine the word "play" with "game".

You can't use those words together when talking about SL, unless you're playing a game within it.

However, you CAN use the word "game" for SL for the same reason an MMO is called a "game". It's a virtual world. It's not real. Yes, you can have real experiences and real interactions and real relationships in Second Life... But you can do that in any MMO.

So while SL is not a game that you play, it can still fall under the category of online world... Traditionally called an online game.

What you do once you log in and how seriously you take it (sometimes to unhealthy levels) is up to the individual.

the traditional view of online game does not apply to SL - it isn't an online game.

its really rather simple and there is no confusion, SL isnt a game and its not played.

think of it like a PC, you can play games on it but it doesnt mean every one does.

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Gadget Portal wrote:

the traditional view of online game does not apply to SL - it isn't an online game.

its really rather simple and there is no confusion, SL isnt a game and its not played.

think of it like a PC, you can play games on it but it doesnt mean every one does.

Your third sentence could be made into a compelling argument.

Your second sentence is opinion, just like mine, and we're both entitled.

Your first sentence does make me ask- how is SL not an online game? I'm curious what makes you reach that conclusion.

Gadget Portal wrote:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Gadget Portal wrote:

Your first sentence does make me ask- how is SL not an online game? I'm curious what makes you reach that conclusion.

wiki describes SL as a virtual world.

i and many others dont "play" SL.

therefore SL isn't a game.

its not an opinion, its a fact.

SL ts an operating system.

Gadget Portal wrote:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Gadget Portal wrote:

I might be able to answer here.  I've been reading these games vs real arguments for almost 6 years now.  And there are always two sides to the issue (no real middle ground).  You have what I call the "purist" (they include many different 'sects" within the SL resident population).  Then you have everyone else (including the likes of myself).  We view SL as a game (not your typical game, but a game) and we are implied to be "brain damaged" (as I was just a while ago in this thread).  I've been in so many of these discussions I know the hot button words and phrases to use to get the "purists" panties all wadded up..........it's a game for me.:matte-motes-big-grin:  If I'm in the mood (now now) I keep stirring it up............sometimes I think "purist" actually cry.  I mean their collective shouts all boil down to "How dare you call my SL a game".  But they also, in the same post call you an idiot (or brain damaged) if you don't agree.

It's always funny to see people make complete fools out of themselves.............I love it.:matte-motes-big-grin:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Whoa there pooch.  SL is not an operating system.  Unless you claim that your computer is using the 'SL OS'.

Your 'fact' is your opinion.  Please do not confuse the two.

Venus Petrov wrote:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Whoa there pooch.  SL is not an operating system.  Unless you claim that your computer is using the 'SL OS'.

Your 'fact' is your opinion.  Please do not confuse the two.

nope its a fact, whilst you may think you know what an operating system is, i dont think you actually do.

and please dont call me pooch.

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Gadget Portal wrote:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Gadget Portal wrote:

Wow, really? Normally I can agree with a lot of what you post in these forums Dog, but that was a little bit ridiculous.

Just because you and a lot of other people don't "play" something, that doesn't make it not a game. If you don't play basketball, is it suddenly not a game?

And yes... You just confused "fact" and "opinion" big time, there. Same thing with Operating System. Windows an Operating System. Linux is an Operating System. SL has very little in common with an operating system.

Edit: If Second Life were an operating system, it wouldn't have to run on an... wait for it... operating system. If it were self booting and didn't require an operating system to run, then it COULD be an operating system.

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

Operating system?  Oh boy...............Dogboat don't say such stupid things.  You don't know what an operating system is........and it ain't SL. 

I got to go pee now...............that was so funny.   :matte-motes-big-grin:

see above, im probably more qualified in IT than you will ever be.

from the wiki:

A distributed operating system manages a group of independent computers and makes them appear to be a single computer. The development of networked computers that could be linked and communicate with each other, gave rise to distributed computing. Distributed computations are carried out on more than one machine. When computers in a group work in cooperation, they make a distributed system.

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

Operating system?  Oh boy...............Dogboat don't say such stupid things.  You don't know what an operating system is........and it ain't SL. 

I got to go pee now...............that was so funny.   :matte-motes-big-grin:

see above, im probably more qualified in IT than you will ever be.

from the wiki:

A distributed operating system manages a group of independent computers and makes them appear to be a single computer. The development of networked computers that could be linked and communicate with each other, gave rise to distributed computing. Distributed computations are carried out on more than one machine. When computers in a group work in cooperation, they make a distributed system.

Well see, now you're talking about SL's server software and network... That's a different conversation entirely.

Although if we're using that as our definition, frickin' World of Warcraft is a operating system.

Gadget Portal wrote:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Gadget Portal wrote:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Gadget Portal wrote:

Wow, really? Normally I can agree with a lot of what you post in these forums Dog, but that was a little bit ridiculous.

Just because you and a lot of other people don't "play" something, that doesn't make it not a game. If you don't play basketball, is it suddenly not a game?

And yes... You just confused "fact" and "opinion" big time, there. Same thing with Operating System. Windows an Operating System. Linux is an Operating System. SL has very little in common with an operating system.

Edit: If Second Life were an operating system, it wouldn't have to run on an... wait for it... operating system. If it were self booting and didn't require an operating system to run, then it COULD be an operating system.

dude, games and apps have operating systems, you dont know enough about it.

they don't need to boot a pc, word has an operating system which controls input and output and all associated tasks.

Well I made to the bathroom before I wet myself............but you keep digging that hole.  It's comical.  My computer when logged into SL is not connected to your computer and it in no way teams up with your computer to communicate to your computer.  We "communicate" to a set of servers when then processes all that communication and broadcasts it to the rest of SL.  You're also saying that this blog/forum is a operating system.  :matte-motes-big-grin:

I hope your employer doesn't see your post............you might be danger of loosing that IT job.  :matte-motes-agape:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.