Do you Play Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marigold Devin wrote:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

it's one big sand box with a bunch of smaller sandboxes where everyone around the world can meet and play in.

one really needs to understand the meaning of "play" and "game".

SL is a social network for me.

augmented reality, and thats all.

for those that "play" SL i suggest they explore themselves and find out exactly why they havent grown up properly and where their deficiencies lie.

michael jackson springs to mind.

"grown up properly"?

Hmmm

There is nothing at all wrong with letting your hair down once in a while, letting the inner child come out.

I've seen plenty of grown-ups in real life have a sneaky play on the swings when they thought no one was watching.

I think I "play in" SL rather than "play" it though.

It was not that long ago when I fell backwards into the snow and made a snow angel with a 1/2 dozen bemused relatives watching.

Venus Petrov wrote:

I'm with you, Mari (and a bunch of others).  I loved your vid!   I thought I saw you with several ghosts!!  /me laughs

Thanks - glad you liked the vid. :matte-motes-grin:

I think it was 75% ghost!

In regards Keli's original question, I wonder if those ghost-hunting days in SL would be viewed as me "playing" in SL, or SL playing me?  It was a fun phase, for me, not so much fun for those locked out though, so I guess SL was playing them at that moment.

Mari, I could tell by your posts on the 'ghosting' subject that you took great joy in finding and helping to reunite the ghost and the avatar.  You did a huge SL public service and for nothing but the satisfaction and joy you got from it.  Kudos and a hug!

Venus Petrov wrote:

Marigold Devin wrote:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

it's one big sand box with a bunch of smaller sandboxes where everyone around the world can meet and play in.

one really needs to understand the meaning of "play" and "game".

SL is a social network for me.

augmented reality, and thats all.

for those that "play" SL i suggest they explore themselves and find out exactly why they havent grown up properly and where their deficiencies lie.

michael jackson springs to mind.

"grown up properly"?

Hmmm

There is nothing at all wrong with letting your hair down once in a while, letting the inner child come out.

I've seen plenty of grown-ups in real life have a sneaky play on the swings when they thought no one was watching.

I think I "play in" SL rather than "play" it though.

It was not that long ago when I fell backwards into the snow and made a snow angel with a 1/2 dozen bemused relatives watching.

ah but thats the key to it.

you knew you were being watched.

thats playing the fool.

nothing wrong with that i might add.

Venus Petrov wrote:

Mari, I could tell by your posts on the 'ghosting' subject that you took great joy in finding and helping to reunite the ghost and the avatar.  You did a huge SL public service and for nothing but the satisfaction and joy you got from it.  Kudos and a hug!

/me blushes

and hugs you back

@ Ceka Tell me if I am wrong but it sounds like you are saying SL is a "place" to play not a "thing" you play with. SL is a place to be creative, meet people from all over the world, to joke around and just have fun! it is an adult playground, not a play thing. btw that video made me smile. :)

So I think the real question is: Is SL something you play with or somewhere you go to play? If it is something you play with then it is a toy or a game. If it is somewhere you go to play it has to be more then a game doesn't it?

@ Marigold thanks for spicing things up with pictures and vid. :matte-motes-delicious:

@ Mayalily I did it for "Kicks." Didn't you see the picture. :matte-motes-sunglasses-1:

@ Storm WOW /me blinks takes a second look... WOW :matte-motes-inlove:

@ Everyone Else excellence discussion! :)

The 'is it a game' question has been asked before as someone pointed out, but as time moves forward, i enjoy seeing a new set of answers. It still seems split about the same. :) Must say, the relative civility in this thread is a good sign no matter what! Thanks Keli!

People will approach SL as they choose, as a game or a life or a hobby or ..., because they can. There is no mechanism to force people to view or use SL in a particular way.

For me, it is a form of entertainment, a way to pass the time, to have a good conversation from time to time, to learn something interesting from someone across one pond or another.

om Piers wrote:

The 'is it a game' question has been asked before as someone pointed out, but as time moves forward, i enjoy seeing a new set of answers. It still seems split about the same.
:)
Must say, the relative civility in this thread is a good sign no matter what! Thanks Keli!

People will approach SL as they choose, as a game or a life or a hobby or ..., because they can. There is no mechanism to force people to view or use SL in a particular way.

For me, it is a form of entertainment, a way to pass the time, to have a good conversation from time to time, to learn something interesting from someone across one pond or another.

SL is a virtual world and thats all there is to it.

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

SL is in-house and TP developed software running on dedicated LL hardware resource.  The user interface allows you to 'manipulate' your in-world experience ergo it is whatever one wants it to be.  

That's all there is to it.

Lots and lots of 1's and 0's.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's probably a virtual world and not a game?

SL may not have "objectives" like most games, but barring that, it's got a whole lot in common with online games. As a matter of fact, everything I've done with my computer, from special hardware to setup to even special input and audio devices for games, directly translates to making SL easier to use. Calling it a game is not a stretch of the imagination or some "disorder" or something else.

Like it or not, it's a virtual environment with 3D controlled characters, just like World of Warcraft or City of Heroes or Guild Wars or Call of Duty. World of Warcraft and Call of Duty are VERY different, but people call them both "video games". SL falls under that same broad definition.

Second Life however, adds a whole lot more options than other games, on a significantly more mature level, which is why people tend to say it's not a video game, it's something else.

Storm Clarence wrote:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

SL is in-house and TP developed software running on dedicated LL hardware resource.  The user interface allows you to 'manipulate' your in-world experience ergo it is whatever one wants it to be.  

That's all there is to it.

Lots and lots of 1's and 0's.

my answer was less wordy and more concise.:matte-motes-yawn:

Gadget Portal wrote:

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's probably a virtual world and not a game?

SL may not have "objectives" like most games, but barring that, it's got a whole lot in common with online games. As a matter of fact, everything I've done with my computer, from special hardware to setup to even special input and audio devices for games, directly translates to making SL easier to use. Calling it a game is not a stretch of the imagination or some "disorder" or something else.

Like it or not, it's a virtual environment with 3D controlled characters, just like World of Warcraft or City of Heroes or Guild Wars or Call of Duty. World of Warcraft and Call of Duty are VERY different, but people call them both "video games". SL falls under that same broad definition.

Second Life however, adds a whole lot more options than other games, on a significantly more mature level, which is why people tend to say it's not a video game, it's something else.

how is SL like a game?

thats the same as saying life is a game, when for some it clearly isnt.

your opinion is shortsighted im afraid.

I have to vote SL is a game... for me.  I understand the arguments everyone has put forth here for both sides, but the way I approach it is as a game.  For me, there is a goal or quest each time I log in.  I 'level up' by learning something new.  I learned how to get around - walk, tp, fly - Level 1.  I learn how to make purchases, dress, find decent skins/shapes - level 2.  I figure out how the poseballs, various HUDs, dancing work - level 3.  I join an rp group and learn another way to communicate and play well with others - level 4.  If I ever get the hang of editing clothing or shoes, I may get to level 5.  Building is on my list of things to learn - maybe I will get to level 6 one day.  The game continues...

It is like those books you could read as a kid - the 'create your own adventure' books.  I considered those books games AND entertainment.   You have some control over the next step, but no control over other people's responses.  To me a game implies some sort of challenge or reaching a goal.  Sometimes they are personal challenges sometimes you face it with a group and I do not always win the game.  I log in again the next day and 'play' again.  I know that is is really a place to challenge myself, but I still consider it a game.

Cinnamon Mistwood wrote:

I have to vote SL is a game... for me.  I understand the arguments everyone has put forth here for both sides, but the way I approach it is as a game.  For me, there is a goal or quest each time I log in.  I 'level up' by learning something new.  I learned how to get around - walk, tp, fly - Level 1.  I learn how to make purchases, dress, find decent skins/shapes - level 2.  I figure out how the poseballs, various HUDs, dancing work - level 3.  I join an rp group and learn another way to communicate and play well with others - level 4.  If I ever get the hang of editing clothing or shoes, I may get to level 5.  Building is on my list of things to learn - maybe I will get to level 6 one day.  The game continues...

It is like those books you could read as a kid - the 'create your own adventure' books.  I considered those books games AND entertainment.   You have some control over the next step, but no control over other people's responses.  To me a game implies some sort of challenge or reaching a goal.  Sometimes they are personal challenges sometimes you face it with a group and I do not always win the game.  I log in again the next day and 'play' again.  I know that is is really a place to challenge myself, but I still consider it a game.

real life is the same though.

people get hurt in SL and real life, its not a game to have your emotions trampled on, unless you see that as a game of course.

a goal is predefined in games, football, Wow, tiddlywinks,  whatever.

you could argue that working was a game,reading a book, watching a film, they have goals too.

so by your definition they are also games.

its really so wrong to call SL a game, you can play tiny empires within SL but you can't play SL itself.

Venus Petrov wrote:

I used to argue that SL was not a game.  I understand what LL intended to create but sometimes what one intends becomes something else for another so I leave each to define SL for themselves.  Your world. Your imagination.

This. 

SL is what you make of it...if you want it to be a game, then it's a game. If you want it to be a virtual world, then that's what it is. There's no "one size fits all" label, and I don't think it really matters what anyone calls it, as long as they treat other players of the game...or inhabitants of the virtual world...decently. 

Hot Britney.jpg

Well, this was not actually the image I was searching for but it will do.  What I was thinking was "long time ago in a far off Flog someone did a thread called everything I know about Second Life I learned from Shakespeare."

All the world's a stage,And all the men and women merely players:They have their exits and their entrances;And one man in his time plays many parts,His acts being seven ages. At first the infant,Mewling and puking in the nurse's arms.And then the whining school-boy, with his satchelAnd shining morning face, creeping like snailUnwillingly to school. And then the lover,Sighing like furnace, with a woeful balladMade to his mistress' eyebrow. Then a soldier,Full of strange oaths and bearded like the pard,Jealous in honour, sudden and quick in quarrel,Seeking the bubble reputationEven in the cannon's mouth. And then the justice,In fair round belly with good capon lined,With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,Full of wise saws and modern instances;And so he plays his part. The sixth age shiftsInto the lean and slipper'd pantaloon,With spectacles on nose and pouch on side,His youthful hose, well saved, a world too wideFor his shrunk shank; and his big manly voice,Turning again toward childish treble, pipesAnd whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,That ends this strange eventful history,Is second childishness and mere oblivion,Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

real life is the same though.

people get hurt in SL and real life, its not a game to have your emotions trampled on, unless you see that as a game of course.

a goal is predefined in games, football, Wow, tiddlywinks,  whatever.

you could argue that working was a game,reading a book, watching a film, they have goals too.

so by your definition they are also games.

its really so wrong to call SL a game, you can play tiny empires within SL but you can't play SL itself.

Of course, I am not in Sl to hurt other people or trample on their emotions.  I do not consider that a game or fun in anyway.  I DO consider life to be a game and I want to be better at playing today than I was yesterday.  Life (rl and sl) is a challenge everyday and everyones goal is different.  I have never hurt anyone in sl and I have never allowed anyone to hurt my feelings, but if they did, it is not their fault that my feelings are hurt.  Why would I give someone the power to control my emotions?  But, really, that has nothing to do with my view of SL as a game.

"its really so wrong to call SL a game" - Nope, I am not wrong...  neither are you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.