LL Reaches Out on PBR

56 minutes ago, Henri Beauchamp said:
3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Very immature, Henri.  Even my little grandson knows to behave better.

Immature ?... No !

just a bit of caustic humor to vent out my utter and desperate, frustration to see that all the warnings people like me raised, long before this fiasco, were totally ignored by LL. We now see the (very sad, since this mess was entirely avoidable) result...

Let's hope LL will listen, next time !

And in the mean time, let's all sing along the new anthem ! 😜

When PBR is integrated and SL looks so much more beautiful I am going to IM you and sing:

Naaa Naa Na Naaa Na....Told Ya So!!! ...........LOL

Edited by Luna Bliss

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

When PBR is integrate and SL looks so much more beautiful I am going to IM you and sing:

I never said PBR was a bad thing in itself: re-read what I wrote !

I did say however that removing the forward renderer without a lightweight one to replace it was doomed to a total reject by people with ”weak” hardware, since they were not even using ALM in the first place due to performances (or memory) issues, and the more complex PBR renderer could not improve things over ALM.

Before calling other people immature, you should better read what they wrote...

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Henri Beauchamp said:
7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

When PBR is integrate and SL looks so much more beautiful I am going to IM you and sing:

I never said PBR was a bad thing in itself: re-read what I wrote !

I did say however that removing the forward renderer without a lightweight one to replace it was doomed to a total reject by people with ”weak” hardware, since they were not even using ALM in the first place due to performances (or memory) issues, and the more complex PBR renderer could not improve things over ALM.

Before calling other people immature, you should better read what they wrote...

My accusation of your immaturity via saying "I told you so" is based on using this phrase and not whether I think your point is right or wrong.  I"m certainly not above using it as I sometimes act in an immature way too.  Still, it is immature. A mature person doesn't taunt another with "I tooooold you soooo" if they think they won an argument. They don't feel the need to, after winning, demonstrate their superiority over another by emphasizing it with a sing-song taunt. Simply winning is enough.

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I can't help but think that there has to be a good PBR and beer goggles meme out there somewhere just waiting for some beer drinking SLer to create..

Oh there's probably endless PBR memes waiting in the wings...

PBRmeme.jpg.1f70a61debd03cbec1d2b37d62150738.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 18

22 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

My accusation of your immaturity via saying ”I told you so” is based on using this phrase and not whether I think your point is right or wrong.  I”m certainly not above using it as I sometimes act in an immature way too.  Still, it is immature. A mature person doesn't taunt another with ”I tooooold you soooo” if they think they won an argument. They don't feel the need to, after winning, demonstrate their superiority over another by emphasizing it with a sing-song taunt. Simply winning is enough.

You obviously don't get it at all if you think I am happy that my predictions have proven accurate. I do not consider I ”won” anything. On the contrary, I consider I have not been vocal and convincing enough, despite all my efforts, to make myself heard by LL !

And I am sad about this mess that is now unfolding. I want SL to strive, not to dwindle !

So, yes, now I do tell ”I told you so” to LL, with the vague hope that, next time, they will take my point of view and advice a bit more seriously !

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

There's a basic dynamic around PBR that's been going on for months. There are certain people who are saying it's a "broken mess."

Well, I use it every day. It's not behaving like a broken mess for me. My computer is fairly good - I have a mid-range video card from 2019, but a current computer would think of my CPU as a black-and-white picture taken at Ellis Island. Some of the "broken mess" people have demonstrably better hardware than me. And, as noted, some of them don't actually use PBR at all.

All I can judge by is what I see in front of me. I'm not denying that some people are having problems. But you can't deny that I am not.

• Like 8

18 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Also, does it suggest that the next viewer update for the official viewer will be optional?

As I remember, it is only those that agree to use the RC versions of the Linden SL Viewer that have the forced updates. This is a setting in Preferences. Those using the main release versions with optional RC version use disabled can delay updating. I've forgotten how long it can be put off.

Updating to an RC version of the Linden SL Viewer is always optional.

Firestorm does it a bit differently. They do Alpha version testing and require you be in their Preview Group to get a copy. From my viewpoint they sort of mix Alpha, Beta, and RC in a less than specific way. But I don't play with the versions as much as I used to. So, I may have it wrong. And they will let the 3 most current versions on the grid. Then after that you have to update.

On occasion the FS user can 18 to 24 months behind, if they choose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Porky Gorky said:

I release loads of PBR materials every month for sale and people just keep buying them and then come back and demand more! “Make this” they cry, “make that” they beg. Then I have to go to the effort of replying with things like “OK, I will”. Then there is all the hassle of cashing out all the money and bloody spending it. I am just about sick of it all.

I think this is an exaggeration 🤔.  I find this hard to believe, especially the profits. Show me your MP store with heaps of 5 Star reviews then I'll believe it. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

All I can judge by is what I see in front of me. I'm not denying that some people are having problems. But you can't deny that I am not.

There is a sweet spot where PBR works great in SL. A nearly physically accurate EEP combined with PBR materials specifically customized for that EEP results in a perfectly acceptable PBR experience. Unfortunately those sweet spots only exist in isolated bubbles on the grid. The problem is grid wide consistency. LL could help negate this problem immediately by releasing a diverse library of 100’s of EEP’s that have all been tested and proved to work with the same PBR material sample set.  

Edited by Porky Gorky
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

You obviously don't get it at all if you think I am happy that my predictions have proven accurate. I do not consider I ”won” anything. On the contrary, I consider I have not been vocal and convincing enough, despite all my efforts, to make myself heard by LL !

And I am sad about this mess that is now unfolding. I want SL to strive, not to dwindle !

So, yes, now I do tell ”I told you so” to LL, with the vague hope that, next time, they will take my point of view and advice a bit more seriously !

Ok, I understand what you're saying.  This phrase can be used in a literal fashion to just say "I told you this information before but you did not follow it and maybe you will next time". 

But usually, in common usage, it's a way of gloating, of pointing out to another that you won and they lost, so not sure it's the best meme to use when you feel you're right and somebody else is wrong.

23 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

The learning curve is also SL's greatest strength though, as it points to the fact that SL is a complex virtual world with many features to partake in. There's no way this can be made easy.

You're conflating the quantity of features with the quality, especially so with the LL Viewer. Some of the TPV's have tried to take features further but been rebuffed if they went too far advanced from the supposedly "official" one. One only has to look at all the threads regarding the Marketplace, the Inventory organization, build menu etc etc to know that SL has a slew of features that work just so-so. We need constant new threads explaining work a rounds to get anything done.

It seems other ideas regarding what you think should have been prioritized were not deemed as necessary by most others (thinking of your desire for an improved inventory).

You have the same problem as Zilli -- you narrowly focus on what YOU want without seeing the big picture.

Whose ideas, that's what I'd like to know. Give me a name to blame this fiasco on. Can't be democratic or I think we'd see different priorities at least from the posts and threads I see on the forums.

Regarding what *I* want, sure, it's something I'd like as an artist and creator -- we're all about bringing the elements of our world we love (like light) into the process. But if I thought this would only benefit a select few I wouldn't want it here --  but I think the purchasers of content are going to LOVE the way it looks, just like they love mesh now.

Bringing in mesh was a catch up move to what I see as their biggest competitor back around 2014, IMVU. 

The PBR content may at best be advantageous to those owning or renting land and having modify rights. Would be interesting to know the statistics for how many that actually are. Question is, will it really attract new people from other platforms? I rather doubt that. EEP didn't.

And, I think with better presentation of the world it's going to attract these people from other games who always laugh at the inferior way SL looks. Additionally, the way we create content for the world is balked at (it's much more difficult in SL compared to other games, and will be easier with glTF).

People looking for a new platform first off look at the avatars and I don't think PBR benefits that area of content, but even if it did, they would still face the learning curve in dressing a new avatar with all its complexities from individual creators. 

Personally I don't see SL as inferior in how builds look already. Maybe you can name some platforms that have better now? Even if there is some, will it matter to the type of new users that come to SL for the first time?

IMO SL is a niche platform catering to those who are mainly interested in the Adult Sex world SL has a reputation for being. Will PBR allow slex clubs and furniture to have better and more realistic lighting? It is the only real potential benefit I can see.

One thing LL does have is common sense.  They didn't ignore a significant number of users having problems. They recognised it as their problem to fix, and not up to a large proportion of residence to fork out on new computers or learn how to change computer hardware etc. to 'support their hobby', or else give up. They didn't believe that this was the solution. So I give them credit for being smart.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

Mirrors are absolutely best only used when you're by yourself in a quiet area or in a skybox or something, otherwise they really probably should be kept off.

Mirrors seem to be popular now for the headboards of beds and bedroom ceilings.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

IMO SL is a niche platform catering to those who are mainly interested in the Adult Sex world SL has a reputation for being. Will PBR allow slex clubs and furniture to have better and more realistic lighting? It is the only real potential benefit I can see.

Clearly you are overlooking how great PBR latex looks in SL. 

THINK OF THE GIMP SUITS!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It seems other ideas regarding what you think should have been prioritized were not deemed as necessary by most others (thinking of your desire for an improved inventory).

You have the same problem as Zilli -- you narrowly focus on what YOU want without seeing the big picture.

Whose ideas, that's what I'd like to know. Give me a name to blame this fiasco on. Can't be democratic or I think we'd see different priorities at least from the posts and threads I see on the forums.

I recall the thread where you tried to make people believe we needed a different type of inventory, the one where people didn't see the need and were begging you to shut up about it at the end.

9 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Inaccurate and sad.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I recall the thread where you tried to make people believe we needed a different type of inventory, the one where people didn't see the need and were begging you to shut up about it at the end.

The ones begging me to shut up about it were those who had a vested interest in Inventory remaining as it was, as they had a MP store selling various products to supposedly make inventory management easier. It doesn't really as I found out after buying the product.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2