Just had a horrible experience with a shop today...

Just wanted to vent. I had the worst experience with a store today, the customer service is horrible. I was trying to get ahold of the managers or store owner due to getting a bad item. And tried to contact the manager to receive assistance with the matter. Turns out they never responded. I sent many notecards over the months, since April. No response. So i decided to find other ways to contact them... Turns out they sent me a rude message afterwards. Lmao. Like i was in the wrong, when they ignored my notecards over and over again. Glad i got a refund and wont visit that store again. Ugh. 

Did anyone had this wacky experience before? Is there a way to get into groups, forums, places, etc. to read customers reviews about stores and their customer service? Just so i can avoid this in the future with another store. I would like to NOT SUPPORT this behavior and businesses. :/

• Sad 2

maybe somthing happen they not been on. Check thier social media but be firm about it I am sure your upset but don't let get to you somthing could really happened.  If your tired of it move on find diffren't place somthing similar. 

Edited by BlueMoonLightz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hyacinthlilies said:

Just wanted to vent. I had the worst experience with a store today, the customer service is horrible. I was trying to get ahold of the managers or store owner due to getting a bad item. And tried to contact the manager to receive assistance with the matter. Turns out they never responded. I sent many notecards over the months, since April. No response. So i decided to find other ways to contact them... Turns out they sent me a rude message afterwards. Lmao. Like i was in the wrong, when they ignored my notecards over and over again. Glad i got a refund and wont visit that store again. Ugh. 

Did anyone had this wacky experience before? Is there a way to get into groups, forums, places, etc. to read customers reviews about stores and their customer service? Just so i can avoid this in the future with another store. I would like to NOT SUPPORT this behavior and businesses. :/

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I have felt your pain. Luckily they were mostly smaller items I forgot about after a bit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hyacinthlilies said:

Like i was in the wrong, when they ignored my notecards over and over again.

ehm .. sending notecads doesn't make you right

Glad i got a refund and wont visit that store again. Ugh. 

don't understand your post, if you got a refund the case is closed, no matter your experience.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, hyacinthlilies said:

I'm sorry you had this unpleasant experience in SL -- SL is supposed to be fun!

When I deal with customers I try to keep the awareness that a customer might have had a bad experience with another merchant, and so I don't get upset if they seem a little snarky. Of course I have my limits!

As merchants, we are in power because the customer has given us their money and they can only hope they receive a good result from it. I take the power I have seriously and make an effort to 'take the high road' and see any disputes from the customer's perspective and not just my own.

The best you can do is not buy from this merchant again. I don't think a kind of Better Business Bureau in SL is a good thing, because basically we'd need impartial judges to determine who was in the wrong in order to resolve the dispute. We can't just trust what the customer says automatically, nor can we trust what the merchant says automatically. Often there are big distortions coming from both sides.

• Like 3

SL is buyer beware, unfortunately. 9/10 I have received either a refund or a fixed item when something is broken but yeah, sometimes you will just be ignored and there is no recourse.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

You got your money back, that is not so horrible. I guess the store manager meant you were to blame. They got tired and decided to pay you, just to end the case.

I put unhappy buys behind me and figure out it is not worth trying to contact the seller. I only contact stores when it is an obvious fault, like the vendor does not deliver, and it is no redelivery option. I have been lucky with that when I include the transaction details and keep the note short and to the point.

To be honest, some of the mishaps was my fault. I bought a dress from a store I have always been happy with, I trusted it so much that I did not demo it. But that dress was rigged awful, really really bad. It looked good in the ad because the model was posed as standing straight up. But it was my fault because I did not buy the demo, naive yes, but lesson learnt. A necklace was advertized as LaraX size included. It was a weekend sale, it was no demo option on the Happy Weekend vendor. I went through the store looking for a demo, some times the default vendor has the demo, but I found nothing. Stupid me decided to buy it. I tried all the options in the folder, in case one of them was labelled wrong. I unpacked several times in case the first unpack did not fully unpack everything. I was really pissed off. But I decided to let it go, I did not have the energy to contact the store. I said F U to myself and deleted it. "No demo, no buy" so I should never trust a picture.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

ehm .. sending notecads doesn't make you right

don't understand your post, if you got a refund the case is closed, no matter your experience.

i just wanted to vent pretty much... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

You got your money back, that is not so horrible. I guess the store manager meant you were to blame. They got tired and decided to pay you, just to end the case.

I put unhappy buys behind me and figure out it is not worth trying to contact the seller. I only contact stores when it is an obvious fault, like the vendor does not deliver, and it is no redelivery option. I have been lucky with that when I include the transaction details and keep the note short and to the point.

To be honest, some of the mishaps was my fault. I bought a dress from a store I have always been happy with, I trusted it so much that I did not demo it. But that dress was rigged awful, really really bad. It looked good in the ad because the model was posed as standing straight up. But it was my fault because I did not buy the demo, naive yes, but lesson learnt. A necklace was advertized as LaraX size included. It was a weekend sale, it was no demo option on the Happy Weekend vendor. I went through the store looking for a demo, some times the default vendor has the demo, but I found nothing. Stupid me decided to buy it. I tried all the options in the folder, in case one of them was labelled wrong. I unpacked several times in case the first unpack did not fully unpack everything. I was really pissed off. But I decided to let it go, I did not have the energy to contact the store. I said F U to myself and deleted it. "No demo, no buy" so I should never trust a picture.

yeah i guess i was kinda in the blame since it didnt had a demo, but items like the one i bought never have demos. i guess next time i shouldnt buy something without a demo. lesson learned

There have been a few times where I see something really nice and I do a desperate search for a demo but find nothing. It's really disappointing because there is no way I can buy clothing without a demo.

• Like 3

In SL anyone, with a very small investment, can open a store and sell things. Not all of them are experienced business people. This means you always run the risk of less than professional treatment. It’s part of the nature of SL. 

• Like 2

I sympathise.  American business practice is 'the buyer is probably a dickhead', or in Latin 'Caveat Emptor' (Let the buyer beware).  Another way of looking at it is 'if you don't like the deal you signed, sue' - which in SL you can't.  The SL best plan is 1: always demo, and 2: no demo? No Sale.

However, In many years in SL, I can recall only one occasion when I was treated badly.  And you did get your game tokens (money) back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dorientje Woller said:

What I find a nasty practice lately ... buying gear (no matter what it is) and not being registered in the re-delivery station, either that is Caspervend or any other system. 

Yeah.  And I don't like those stores where gifts are omitted from re-delivery.  Yes, it was a gift, not a purchase, but it was a bribe to come back and buy. 

2 hours ago, hyacinthlilies said:

yeah i guess i was kinda in the blame since it didnt had a demo, but items like the one i bought never have demos. i guess next time i shouldnt buy something without a demo. lesson learned

I'll occasionally purchase something without a demo if I really really like the look of it and it is cheap enough I'm willing to gamble. I've been burnt a couple times but was like cest la vie about it as there have also been a few times where the risk paid off. Guess it is about the mindset before purchasing a thing without a demo.

• Like 4

On 7/29/2024 at 10:29 AM, hyacinthlilies said:

If it's any consolation, you're not alone. I've had many pleasant experiences with store owners and CSRs but have also had some not so pleasant ones. I make an effort to remember the good ones and keep supporting them with my patronage and avoid those that have left a bad taste. Luckily in SL the lessons learned come relatively cheap. I'm actually a little thankful for my unpleasant experience with one particular store because the creator IMO is very talented and produce amazing things. Had I not been ignored, that store would have made me completely broke!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, blaireberry said:

I'm actually a little thankful for my unpleasant experience with one particular store because the creator IMO is very talented and produce amazing things. Had I not been ignored, that store would have made me completely broke!

haha...I wish rude merchants could stop my shopping too....I bought waaaay too much the other day   :(

• Haha 3

This is part of why so much of my stuff is free. I would feel horrible if someone paid good money for something I made and I wasn't there to help them with it,  or if I spent the money and couldn't refund it or something.

Not charging anything takes a lot of the anxiety away. I still offer service on freebies, though. It's just the right thing to do.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Thanks 2

Luckily most store owners will handle things nice and professionally, but I think we all get that one... that one that makes your blood boil to think about. I feel you, I had one so bad over a misunderstanding that we both blocked each other! 

Hopefully venting helped some. 

2 hours ago, SpiritSparrow Skydancer said:

I am curious if anyone has filed a dispute with PayPal over a purchase made on marketplace? I am looking into this myself after buying a product that is not usable and not as advertised. 

Interesting proposition. PayPal does cover intangible goods & digital purchases as a part of buyer’s protection, but I think this would be a sh*tty thing to pull if you haven’t made an effort to resolve it with the store’s owner. It’s not like you can return digital goods in SL, you keep it forever. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, discussionbot said:

Interesting proposition. PayPal does cover intangible goods & digital purchases as a part of buyer’s protection, but I think this would be a sh*tty thing to pull if you haven’t made an effort to resolve it with the store’s owner. It’s not like you can return digital goods in SL, you keep it forever. 

I explore all necessary ways to resolve first.