The End Of An Era and what was a wonderful, enlightened virtual world....

4 hours ago, Porky Gorky said:
7 hours ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

PBR finally destroyed my fans.

Someone needs to put that on an SL T-shirt asap, it will sell like hotcakes in this current climate.

PBR finally destroyed many SL fans. LL needs to be careful. There are fewer and fewer fans every year. If situation gets any worse, SL will be on life support.

LL should take a page from the medical profession: do no harm. Whatever you do, do not alienate your residents, even the poor ones with low-end hardware.

Edited by Ksenia Elcano
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Istelathis said:
6 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

PBR broke my coffee machine.

PBR ran off with my husband, PBR is a no good homewrecker.  

PBR made fun of me, ate my lunch, beat me up, and stuffed me in a school locker, after stealing my imaginary girlfriend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

PBR made fun of me, ate my lunch, beat me up, and stuffed me in a school locker, after stealing my imaginary girlfriend.

It also made me magnetic, 🧲 🥄.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, BriannaLovey said:

Server fans + zip tie method never fails, just saying. Those things are meant to run forever.

Most people (with emphasis on most, the N is not necessarily strong there) I've met in SL are on a laptop, though. Not a lot of room for cable management there. Barely enough for a little more RAM in most cases.

"I need to know what your motherboard is first". What? Eww, get away from me you freak!  :)

2 hours ago, Ksenia Elcano said:

Whatever you do, do not alienate your residents, even the poor ones with low-end hardware.

SL would still look like its version from 2003 if they did that. Sure, one may argue that some of such updates were optional, like ALM with (now legacy) materials. But some weren't, like mesh. And every single time users on the low end hardware either stop using SL or upgrade a bit. It's their choice.

Obviously LL should do a much better job and not release unfinished stuff in alpha stage, like they did with EEP a few years ago and PBR last year, but it's just something they do anyway.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

Most people (with emphasis on most, the N is not necessarily strong there) I've met in SL are on a laptop, though. Not a lot of room for cable management there. Barely enough for a little more RAM in most cases.

"I need to know what your motherboard is first". What? Eww, get away from me you freak!  :)

I know, my advice was for someone who implied that he had a desktop computer.

1 hour ago, steeljane42 said:

SL would still look like its version from 2003 if they did that. Sure, one may argue that some of such updates were optional, like ALM with (now legacy) materials. But some weren't, like mesh. And every single time users on the low end hardware either stop using SL or upgrade a bit. It's their choice.

Obviously LL should do a much better job and not release unfinished stuff in alpha stage, like they did with EEP a few years ago and PBR last year, but it's just something they do anyway.

Of the changes you listed, mesh probably did the most damage. The introduction of mesh dramatically reduced in-world building and the social aspects that went that. What makes SL tick is the social interaction.

The other change you don't list that caused significant damage, probably because it was before you joined, was the elimination of last names. Last names made the world feel like a community. Eliminating last names was unnecessary and caused a lot of harm.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

I need to know what your motherboard is first

What's a motherboard? *Stares at you with a blank expression on my face.*

I already tried downloading some more RAM. Didn't notice a big difference.

Do you think PBR will work better for me if I plug a USB stick into my laptop? You know for extra storage . . .

I'm joking around (((this is just a little pranky-prank))) but

1 hour ago, steeljane42 said:

Obviously LL should do a much better job and not release unfinished stuff in alpha stage

Mhmm. Because

3 hours ago, Istelathis said:

PBR is a no good homewrecker. 

• Haha 4

48 minutes ago, Ksenia Elcano said:

The introduction of mesh dramatically reduced in-world building

That's a bit of an oversimplification.

The introduction of mesh offered an opportunity to create more detailed objects that consumed less land impact, which caused a dramatic reduction in in-world building because consumers wanted to fit as much "stuff" on their land as possible and merchants wanted to sell consumers as much "stuff" as possible.  You can still create very impressive things out of prims it's just nobody will pay money for them.  It wasn't mesh that caused a reduction in in-world building, it was just greed.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

Let's start with the von Neumann architecture... Already lost you there, I suppose

I'm assuming your talking about the fatherboard. Or mabey it's this is some kind of Linux thing. Yeps, you lost me.

7 hours ago, Ksenia Elcano said:

Of the changes you listed, mesh probably did the most damage. The introduction of mesh dramatically reduced in-world building and the social aspects that went that. What makes SL tick is the social interaction.

The other change you don't list that caused significant damage, probably because it was before you joined, was the elimination of last names. Last names made the world feel like a community. Eliminating last names was unnecessary and caused a lot of harm.

You forgot the part where you complain about "Viewer 2" as well.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Yes, an awful piece of junk then is still an awful piece of junk today.

I copy and pasted this from the Cool VL site/blog thingy and will provide and explanation as to why----:

LL often implements changes in their viewer without any or with very little regard to what their customers, the "residents" do like or not; the worst of all these changes in regard to the UI were probably the Voice viewers v1.18.2 chatterbox (and they did it again in v3 viewer's "Flexible UI", with the cumbersome and right out monstruous "Conversations" floater), or the sidebar in their v2.0 viewer UI. Such changes are considered by many users as true regressions, either in usability or functionality, and usually both.

Here's the link to exactly where that came from: http://sldev.free.fr/

---------------

Dissatisfaction with changes to the V1 viewer appear to be one of the major reasons why we have the option to use Cool VL viewer today. This is important because Cool VL viewer both gives us the choice to use PBR or to not use PBR with a simple in-viewer check box (no restart required). Cool VL is also important, because unlike Firestorm, it works exactly like it's supposed to. The fact that Cool VL gives us a choice is regard to our rendering experience is really what sells the V1 interface to me. It's really quite charming once you've been playing around in Radegast for a few hours typing 'go north' like your trapped in a text-based adventure.

If I got something wrong here, I do expect to corrected. =]

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WeFlossDaily said:

and they did it again in v3 viewer's "Flexible UI", with the cumbersome and right out monstruous "Conversations" floater)

It's called "CHUI", and it's an abomination, as LL conceived it, it appears to have been intended for use by Spewtube Trolls, paralysed from the chin down, living in an "Iron Lung" machine, and controlling their SL with an eyeball movement based blink-to-click mouse replacement, so as to make it easier for them to switch annoying voice spam from one "conversation" to another with as few blinks as possible.

10 minutes ago, WeFlossDaily said:

the sidebar in their v2.0 viewer U

Viewer 2 and later, allow you to have those tool bar buttons on ANY of the 4 sides of the screen, or none, they are entirely optional.

By comparison Viewer 1 Zombie clones force you to use the abomination that is the 6 option Pie Menu of Awfulness.

Let's be clear here, Viewer 1.23, was broken crap, that "Clueless Captain Oldbie Bad Tech Superstition" about how you "must clear your texture cache everyday" is due to massive flaws in V1.

Henri is a nice guy, especially when you meet him in world, but, he's addicted to the V1 format. A friend of mine, was at a hangout Henri used, many years ago, their preferred viewer had recently gone t*ts up, due to changes in the dev team, and they were bemoaning the fact.

Henri suggested they try his viiewer, so they asked him if it supported V2 style alpha layers instead of only using invisiprims. He replied yes, so then they asked him HOW MANY alpha layers it let you wear (Viewer 2 allowed 4 or 5 at the time ), and he replied 1.

He didn't understand why anyone needed more than one alpha layer. My friend didn't switch to his viewer.

Reality is V1 style Zombie Clones use a UI, that is ALIEN to a great many SecondLifer's, V1 suffered a well deserved death, 14 years ago. there's an entire generation used to the V2/3/4/5/6/7 UI.

About the ONLY piece of viewer UI design I agree with Henri on is the vileness of CHUI. It's why II like Catznip R13.2, it's only partial CHUI, unlike Bloatstorm, and you can pretend it's CHUI free, as well as PBR free.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ksenia Elcano said:

100% exactly

• Like 1