Problems with Linden Lab's plans to attract new users.

11 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Even that is not really good enough because there is a variety of opinions out there. My car can go 120 mph but it wears out a lot faster then when I just keep it at 60 mph. Electronic components are not good with high heat environments so 75C is the maximum I like running at for an extended period, regardless of what the "experts" say.

22 minutes ago, WeFlossDaily said:

This was a false statement and I only set out to show you, with evidence, that this was false.

I don't know what I can say. I tried to apologize to the ppl who got upset and even admitted I could be mistaken. At this point, I'm even suggesting ways* that I could be proven false just to end it.

Edited by WeFlossDaily
typo*

The Quick Answer – What is a Safe GPU Temperature?

Modern NVIDIA GPUs should stay below 85C under full load to be safe, although many can exceed this by a few degrees before hitting their max temperatures.

Modern AMD GPUs should stay below 100C under full load to be safe, although the most recent AMD GPUs hit their max temperature at 110C.

The ideal temperature range for a graphics card varies depending on the model and the load it's under. Under heavy load, such as gaming or rendering videos, temperatures can range between 65 and 85 degrees Celsius . Some graphics cards can reach upper temperature limits of more than 90 degrees Celsius

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

The Quick Answer – What is a Safe GPU Temperature?

Modern NVIDIA GPUs should stay below 85C under full load to be safe, although many can exceed this by a few degrees before hitting their max temperatures.

Modern AMD GPUs should stay below 100C under full load to be safe, although the most recent AMD GPUs hit their max temperature at 110C.

The ideal temperature range for a graphics card varies depending on the model and the load it's under. Under heavy load, such as gaming or rendering videos, temperatures can range between 65 and 85 degrees Celsius . Some graphics cards can reach upper temperature limits of more than 90 degrees Celsius

I guess I was wrong.

Just now, WeFlossDaily said:

I guess I was wrong.

Before the PBR viewer and before I read about limiting fps, my laptop ran hotter than it does now.  I set a limit on my fps at 60 and it's been fine ever since.  They changed up how things work so your graphics card is handling more.load.  This was before PBR.  If your computer a year ago was running hot, that could be why.  Yeah, I was getting ridiculously high fps but who needs 200 fps if it just cranks your computer to the hilt?  60 fps is perfectly fine for SL.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was getting over 73 degrees and 65% GPU usage just now, in a club environment with nine avatars. Then I closed the web browser streaming rumble and it dropped to about 45%.

Some things I have noticed:

The latest FS beta is running pretty well for me. I did go through all the whitelisting and I also set a framerate limit of 40 in the rendering options. Why 40? It seems to be enough for SL, and otherwise I was going over 100fps because, and I'm sure the FS release notes mention this somewhere, without setting some limit, your graphics card will run as hard (and hot) as it can.

I was getting some stutters and small freezes while camming around, but my gut feeling is that is some nasty mesh or textures somewhere in this place.

CoolVLViewer does run faster, but in a way that's a problem, because it runs the fans up, and I didn't yet find the setting on that viewer to limit framerates.

I think there are some overlapping and maybe conflated problems that people are experiencing. Some people are struggling to get acceptable/enjoyable performance out of their PCs with the new viewers, and this is making their PCs run hot while trying. Others are experiencing loud fans (excess heat) because their PCs are running away with going super fast as possible without setting a limit. The other thing is what your PC is set to run the fans at. I suppose mine kick in properly around 70 degrees but you could set them to start sooner, you can't exactly compare temperatures between PCs.

I remember on old forums that people said you should never run SL on a laptop because they always burned out, then later you find all those people were cat owning chain smokers who sat their computers on pillows. I always put mine on a hard, flat surface. If you need to use an active cooling tray then why not, it's cheaper than a new PC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Yorkie Bardeen said:

CoolVLViewer does run faster, but in a way that's a problem, because it runs the fans up, and I didn't yet find the setting on that viewer to limit framerates.

Yea I just downloaded it and can't that setting either

19 minutes ago, WeFlossDaily said:

I hope you step in dog poop.

12 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Quoted for posterity.

Big Girl Panties | Desperate Enterprises - Wholesale Signs

More of this sort of thing, please. It's much more amusing than what we were getting on this thread!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Yorkie Bardeen said:

12 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Yea I just downloaded it and can't that setting either

CTRL + ALT + S (debug settings)
Type Limit into the box

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I would like to add a gag to these panties.

Do you remember that bit you said about how anybody who has an issue with PBR needs to first check their artistic sensibilities before complaining about it. Don't worry, I do.

Edited by WeFlossDaily
*spelling
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Sorry can't read what you say. After this last episode I put you on permanent gag control.

I hope you also step in poop.

Edited by WeFlossDaily
*typo
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Much of these many pages could have been avoided though if you had simply taken the time to look up and check what people were telling you for yourself originally instead of making the types of posts that you have.  I hope you can see a better path here going forward.

You continue to miss the issue though. Many of those having problems are not running 3080's or any 30*0 series for that matter. There have been people though coming through these threads and Firestorm's support group, that have had issues with better cards that reported problems. Many maybe only needed to whitelist and do a little tweak here and there to resolve their problem but many with lesser cards have just rolled back to the previous release.

Your own statistics are what I would expect from the sort of machine and card you have, while also realizing that the specs are much better then average. It would be nice if the Lab would share the statistics of what is connecting to SL.

• Like 1

If heat really bothers you with your laptop it's definitely worth looking into undervolting, CPU and GPU can be run at a lower voltage with varying degrees of success.

I have a 10th gen i7 that can take -97mV on the CPU and a Turing GPU that can take a reasonable undervolt (and overclock) as well, it does reduce load temperatures by 5-10C even with the GPU running a bit faster.

For nerds only though, takes some experimentation and not being scared of crashes. I also had to edit the UEFI to unlock the ability and I think it's completely locked out on some newer chips, older generations were usually easier.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

Either way, I'd say your topic died quite a few pages ago. Hope you got out of it what you wanted before then.

Did the problems with Linden Labs plans to attract new users get resolved?

Seems like some peoples interest in the topic died a few pages ago, that doesn't necessarily mean that the topic is dead.  More likely it means that nobody interested in discussing the topic is going to attempt to do so in the middle of a 6 page grudge match about something as specific as GPU temperatures.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1