Private island or mainland

Liam Foxpaws

Maybe a homestead, to fiddle a bit with landscaping.
But most likely not for long, I'm not into living in Second Life and certainly not want to become a landlord.
so I would simply rent one for a short while from one of the big landlords. Hassle free.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

If you want a full region then it's better having a private Island, full region in mainland is not worth it, but if it's small parcels from 10k sqm and down I prefer mainland, becauese it's more lively, I love mainland because of that! 

I have both so if i want solitude or to build big like a city for exaple; i go to my private island, and if I want people around I go to mainland.

If money wasn't an issue, I would have a full private region with upgrade to 30 000 land impact. You can't have that upgrade on mainland, it is fixed on 22 500 li.

Private land has also full control over terrain textures. And terraforming. Where 2 mainland regions meet, it is often ugly differences in landscaping. Regular mainland only have terraforming 4 m up and down from the default setting. (Some regions have more.) On private islands, it is always 20 m up or down.

It could be so ugly things on the other side of the mainland border, that I would need layers of mountains and trees to hide it from my view.

On a private island, is it possible to use sim surrounds and other off region decor like islands, reefs and waves. You can't have things out in protected water on Mainland, and the regions are connected.

If I could have one region, it would be private for the reasons over.

I like mainland, and for small parcels, it is the most affordable I find. But if I won the lottery....

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Mainland with 6 adjoining mainland regions that I'd turn into giant mountains to block out any chance of ugliness/fullbright terrorism.

Why mainland, if you want to block out and don't want to see your neighbors?

Private region, because you are surrounded with water and not butted up against someone elses land and can put down  huge sim surrounds that really make your world huge.

Plus you can have one of these as well, which takes up like, 9 sim slots of room.. hehehe

That's my old sim below it, and those checkers lines in the water is how big it covers.

Snapshot_009

It is so huge on the inside..

7226868042_1e94f30646_b.jpg

I had a half sphere also that was as big and I sat it on the ground..I had so many amazing skies I could cycle through..

Oh ya, and you can terraform the heck out of a private region, where mainland you are more restricted..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

Why mainland, if you want to block out and don't want to see your neighbors?

So I can surround it with a giant national park, hiking trails, spooky caves, beautiful lakes etc and people can hike in. Maybe even take a pretty winding mountain road :)

Edited by AmeliaJ08
caves not saves
  • Like 2

Mmm, it's not so much that I don't want neighbors so much as I'd like like-minded neighbors with shared interests, and also just a nice looking environment.

There's no real themed mainland and zero attempt at beautifying empty parcels. LL don't build footpaths between parcels so it's not like you can even walk out of your mainland home and explore unless you buy roadside.

Because of that I'll stick with my private region.

What would be interesting I think is if we had a way where two agreeing region owners could join their regions for free (and just as easily leave) - This would open up opportunities for larger private communities. Friends don't tend to intentionally spoil each others view.