Is Lindenlab choosing a doomed path for SL ? Tell us if the EEP and PBR introduction changed the way you play SL

1 minute ago, Dorientje Woller said:

Or switch to AMD or Intel ARC cards ... I haven't heard those owners complain yet.

I have seen a lot more Nvidia users complain than AMD users, but that's anecdotal.

24 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

True ... my system is a living thing. Upgrade the CPU, in a later stage, upgrade the graphical card, memory, motherboard and so one in a contious circle.

Yeah, yeah, the cheerleader answer on everything. "get a replacement for your potato machine". How intuitive. Most people in SL run on a certain budget, they usually spend money on land, assets, cothes, whatever. Many pay for sims. Do you really expect these people to pay MORE for a trashy piece of software which not only stresses out any other PC or laptop  by it´s proven power hunger but also breaks existing content while not rendering faster or better but slower and worse?`Do you?

You and your cheerleader companions miss the point. People in SL do not pay for high end visuals, but for the social aspects of a virtual world. And many wil not follow the Linden path. There are valuable alternatives out there which do not require a smoking GPU.

2 minutes ago, Vivienne Schell said:

Yeah, yeah, the cheerleader answer on everything. "get a replacement for your potato machine". How intuitive. Most people in SL run on a certain budget, they usually spend money on land, assets, cothes, whatever. Many pay for sims. Do you really expect these people to pay MORE for a trashy piece of software which not only stresses out any other PC or laptop  by it´s proven power hunger but also breaks existing content while not rendering faster or better but slower and worse?`Do you?

You and your cheerleader companions miss the point. People in SL do not pay for high end visuals, but for the social aspects of a virtual world. And many wil not follow the Linden path. There are valuable alternatives out there which do not require a smoking GPU.

there rage baiting you, i'd ignore them

GET A NEW PC! You need to splurge 1k and forget about that 200 annually you pay into SL, while I just pay 20 because I find spending that 180 in other games with my top of the line PC is more value for my buck!

/sarcasm

• Like 2

If you can afford a freakin' SL region, you can afford to budget for PC upgrades over the years. 

Cry more at $209 a month.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

Or switch to AMD or Intel ARC cards ... I haven't heard those owners complain yet.

Oh god, please dont recommend that, otherwise it would be worse. AMD cards are known to be worse than NVidea for Second Life due to how AMD cards handle OpenGL.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

My friend was running Windows on an AMD GPU and it was running horrible for her, bad stutters and all types of stuff.... she redid the whitelist Firestorm says to do with Windows built in antivirus (removed and re-added), and rebooted, and then it all cleared up and she said its running great.

They run better with Linux though, but even my nvidia runs SL faster in Linux than Windows

Edited by Aya Sweetheart

1 minute ago, Drayke Newall said:

Oh god, please dont recommend that, otherwise it would be worse. AMD cards are known to be worse than NVidea for Second Life due to how AMD cards handle OpenGL.

No longer true..unless you have a really old one or an improperly configured one. They handle it just fine.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Modulated said:

Nobody is rage baiting, unless hearing something you don't like is baiting. 🙄

and yet one person literally admitted to it, if you haven't got anything helpful or nice to say to someone who can't afford a new computer but is still trying to play second life then don't answer. Telling someone who doesn't have the money to save and buy a better computer is like trying to plow snow whilst it's still snowing.

Edited by Omegaslayer
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

If you can afford a freakin' SL region, you can afford to budget for PC upgrades over the years. 

Cry more at $209 a month.

Do you pay for a sim? I guess not. So what?

14 minutes ago, Vivienne Schell said:

People in SL do not pay for high end visuals, but for the social aspects of a virtual world. And many wil not follow the Linden path.

Have you seen peoples avatars recently

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Irina Forwzy said:

While true,  how do you apply an environment setting toward a parcel or sim that is liked by both the person that doesn't have PBR and the person with PBR?  I know it can be done, I've tested it in my own area (at least to my specs in PBR), but there's always a risk that someone will find it jarring because within their adaptation they have issues with it.

Assuming you leave the regular windlights and EEPs and opt into the Battlescars and Specter ones.

are you saying some people use the environmental setting set by the sim owner 😂

6 minutes ago, Omegaslayer said:

Telling someone who doesn't have the money to save and buy a better computer is like trying to plow snow whilst it's still snowing.

That's literally the best advice. If you wait and try to do it all at once it's much more difficult. Both plowing snow and upgrading computers. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Omegaslayer said:

and yet one person literally admitted to it, if you haven't got anything helpful or nice to say to someone who can't afford a new computer but is still trying to play second life then don't answer. Telling someone who doesn't have the money to save and buy a better computer is like trying to plow snow whilst it's still snowing.

Bluntly, it's not my concern what people can and can't afford, but when you openly talk about it , it then becomes fair game. That's how it works.

Edited by Modulated
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vivienne Schell said:

Do you pay for a sim? I guess not. So what?

Anyone that (can't) afford but pays for a region.... but has no other set aside money for hobbies or I suspect other basics has a much bigger problem than an outdated computer.  If they left it was probably finally overwhelming and they shouldn't be paying for a region anyway.   This update might have been a good thing in the long run for them... a wake up call. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

are you saying some people use the environmental setting set by the sim owner 😂

Apparently some do!   I thought they didn't before, I mean I usually change any environment when I'm taking photography (and I'm a photographer) but apparently some don't!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Modulated said:

Bluntly, it's not my concern what people can and can't afford, but when you openly talk about it , it then becomes fair game. That's how it works.

we're not going to survive are we, humans i mean?

1 minute ago, Chery Amore said:

Anyone that (can't) afford but pays for a region.... but has no other set aside money for hobbies or I suspect other basics has a much bigger problem than an outdated computer.  If they left it was probably finally overwhelming and they shouldn't be paying for a region anyway.   This update might have been a good thing in the long run for them... a wake up call. 

sometimes people are given funding to pay for said sim

Just now, Chery Amore said:

But if let's say 10% of revenue from LL are those that can't afford it. And they only gain 4-5% from the new users that are coming in due to all the bells and whistles...

Then LL still has a net loss due to their changes without communication or timed release approach.

As a company isn't about finding the right balance to not loose revenue over time. My fear is that they are trying to chase the younger generations because they supposedly make bad financial decisions with their disposable income. Instead they may find themselves with financial issues.

1 minute ago, Omegaslayer said:

we're not going to survive are we, humans i mean?

It's not that deep. You just have to decide if continuing on with a hardware upgrade is worth it to you personally. And what I meant was, I am not in the habit of telling people what to spend or not spend their money on, to clarify.   The requirements have changed, and that's not likely to change.

4 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

That's literally the best advice. If you wait and try to do it all at once it's much more difficult. Both plowing snow and upgrading computers. 

so you are a human being 😛, but yeah it's not a solution for most, as much as some of us would love a new computer it's not possible, sometimes rl circumstances means we have to make do. I feel in second life it's too easy for people to forget theres a human on the other side of our avi's, and some of us are really struggling irl.

1 minute ago, Modulated said:

It's not that deep. You just have to decide if continuing on with a hardware upgrade is worth it to you personally. And what I meant was, I am not in the habit of telling people what to spend or not spend their money on, to clarify.   The requirements have changed, and that's not likely to change.

then be nicer, we're humans on the other side of these pixels and some of us have to make do, we know we could probably do with a better computer but we simply can't afford it.

• Thanks 1

I was thrilled at the items in the PBR especially the mirrors - until I attended events at SL21BD.  Those had my computer running hot.  I have the 16 gig ram, I have a good solid pc but this is just a lot of toil on it.  I have been a member of second life for almost 20 years.  (19 yrs 6 months).  I have friends who have been here 15 plus years.  Second life has been my go to place to interact with others.  I spend a lot of lindens that I purchase on items in SL.  I also pay membership the Premium.  Now I am very much in danger of and likely to loose long time friends.  Second Life has been not a game but a social area for me.  I can not get a new pc at this time but  if I do then I will have to stop paying for SL membership or get Lindens until such time it would be paid off and so why do it?   There are other "game" I can play but they are just that a game.  Not the friendships I have found in Second Life. 

I surmise that this is a needed change for Second Life by Linden Labs.  I just feel that again a lot of people will choose to leave.  That means  less money to Linden Labs for memberships, lindens.  And Less items bought from vendors.  It is my hope that something works out so people do not have to choose to leave to protect their PC's.  

I just felt the need to share my feelings on this.  And will have to make choices as to what I need to do soon.  The voice is leaving not due to Linden Labs but the voice providers closing I was led to believe.  I do feel that LL will get voice for here again.  I just hope I can be here but at this time I am very unsure. 

Respectfully 

Roxanna Cash (Paula MacKay)

• Like 2