Who - aside from users - will benefit from the Mobile Ap

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

I know i'm no target for the mobile .. can hardly see on my laptop/desktop whats going on... not going to try on a screen smaller as my hand.

Most existing users in SL are probably not, but who cares about them. An older age group has their tastes, but the youngers are more mobile than ever.  I hate mobile, I even hate trying to work or do anything on a laptop. I"m full PC in all ways... but why would I care if LL wants to gain more users by making mobile available?

I and other creators will create mesh and optimize for that mobile. I hope we get rewarded for doing so.. We'll help LL succeed in that endeavour. The more users is better, open up the flood gates I see.

Flush out the old crotchedy crabby fuddy duddies and bring in new blood. Crabby fuddy duddies (from SL) helped destroy Sansar... so don't let them help kill SL too.

6 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Back when Oberwolf was just hired, his plan to grow SL was to attract teenagers, who would then graduate from high school and get RL jobs.  They would then be able to afford their own desktop computer to play SL.  The mobile phone was the conduit to get them interested at an early age.  I remember him saying as they become adults their tastes will grow and would find SL more attractive.  There was never any mention of retaining older residents, since they were already addicted.  And if they could not afford to keep up with the hardware advances, well then they won't be the big spenders in SL either.

I appreciate players of all ages, but some of the older ones can be quite crabby and hateful towards younger players. Younger players are the future.. And they have lots of money to spend on things when they want to.

Edited by Codex Alpha
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Just thought of something else. I have a game I play, Palia, that is available straight through the web and also through Steam. So wondering if that's not an option for SL. Perhaps if someone comes to SL through the mobile but then decides they want to access things not available to the mobile, then they can just log in a different way using something other than mobile. So perhaps this is just another way to introduce people to what SL has to offer.

That is what Oberwolf has said early on.  I mentioned that in my post here above.  Assume they move to a real computer once you get their attention on the mobile phone.  But will that happen?  How do you impress a new generation with SL on mobile?  

I for one will welcome the L$L$L$L$ from the caravan of 16+ year-old overlords that are amassing at our virtual borders - ready to invade. If it takes a so-called 'mobile app' *disgusted gen-x voice* or whatever devillish device is needed to help them cross over, then, bring it on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I for one will welcome the L$L$L$L$ from the caravan of 16+ year-old overlords that are amassing at our virtual borders - ready to invade. If it takes a so-called 'mobile app' *disgusted gen-x voice* or whatever devillish device is needed to help them cross over, then, bring it on.

Hell yeah...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I totally agree! 

Assuming they spend L$, it will be good for the overall SL economy.

ETA: I have a friend who runs Minecraft servers and says they lose users as they "age out".  SL will be someplace they can "age out" to!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Flush out the old crotchedy crabby fuddy duddies and bring in new blood

Great idea to bring in new blood.  It would do wonders to my two businesses.  But at what age to these old crotchedy fuddy duddies start?  Is it over 25, or over 30? 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Great idea to bring in new blood.  It would do wonders to my two businesses.  But at what age to these old crotchedy fuddy duddies start?  Is it over 25, or over 30? 

I would say the suspects, both encountered here in SL and when they 'explored' Sansar (even though they hated it so much) were 50+ up, many 60+. They scared off plenty of people, who went to other platforms, like VRChat. The only cure to busting through the 'Old Guard' is to flood it with lots and lots and lots of new users.

Edited by Codex Alpha
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Children have plenty of disposable income

No. Their PARENTS have disposable income.

12 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

for generations have been the biggest consumers

Wrong again. Their parents are the consumers, who ACTUALLY pay for stuff.

14 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

LUA is a popular language and has been used in many games

I know, I mod games, and I've dabbled in Lua, go teach your granny to suck eggs.

And some "coming soon" promise of Lua in a client side only option from LL means very little, especially seeing what a complete fuster cluck they made pf PBR. And especially as to how limited Lu in a client side setup will be, considering they will have to cripple it to prevent it being used to steal UUID's to bypass the permissions system.

17 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Who cares if Roblox is turning a profit

Their investors probably care, since they are the ones paying for a platform that hasn't made a profit since it was launched about 8 years ago, and which is losing $1,200,000,000 a YEAR.

19 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

They grew by 300% in only a couple of years, they have millions and millions and millions of users

Utterly useless users who don't and won't spend enough money to keep the platform alive.

20 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

I'm sure they'll figure it out.

They have had 8 years to "figure it out", I wouldn't hold your breath while you wait for that miracle, especially as they are on target for a $1,400,000,000 loss this year.

22 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

In the grand scheme of things SL isn't even on the map

But SL has a turnover of over half a billion and MAKES a PROFIIT. That's on the map, on concurrency numbers we'd be in the top 10 for MMO's.

24 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

I've had to deal with people like you on many platforms.

That tends to happen when you constantly spout BS about how millions of useless people who don't spend are better than a smaller number who do spend, and support a company that actually makes enough money to stay open.

Talk sh*te, get disagreed with.

Same as when you rant on bout "mere women who don't wear blue trousers", or bulldozing peoples homes because they won't let you wander through their living room.

27 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Fear that the little puddle you have been 'reigning' in or having any visibility whatsoever will disappear when a platform becomes an ocean. Build a boat and learn how to sail on it.

An ocean of bankruptcy based off REALLY STYUPID PEOPLE who think millions of non paying not-customers and a $1,200,000,000 a year loss is sustainable.

2 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

I would say the suspects, both encountered here in SL and when they 'explored' Sansar (even though they hated it so much) were 50+ up, many 60+. They scared off plenty of people, who went to other platforms, like VRChat. The only cure to busting through the 'Old Guard' is to flood it with lots and lots and lots of new users.

I would not like to see ageism be the new rule in SL.  Some of us actually like young ideas from young people.  But your attitude doesn't help.  Most of the LL upper management is over 50.   Should they all resign and make room for the younger kids?  Probably better to judge people on their ideas, and not their age.

• Like 2

One group of people who will "benefit" from the mobile app are those who occasionally post in the Forums something along the lines of, "When will Second Life get a mobile app?!?".

If nobody else, this should make THEM happy.

I didn't try going to "M" land on the Mobile app yet, to see if I can go to a club and listen to their stream.  (It's not on my bucket list.)

1 hour ago, Thecla said:

My desktop graphics card broke about a month ago, and I had to access SL from a 13" laptop. It was excruciating.  Use SL on my phone? Fuggetaboudit, short of desperately needing to send an IM or something. Which means I'll download the app and use it once a year.

OF COURSE you're not going to be able to visit adult sims on a mobile viewer, that is the worst idea ever. EVER.

Someone visits SL on their cell phone, visits an adult sim, encounters some inflagrante action....AND PASSES THEIR PHONE AROUND.

If you think SL has a tawdry reputation now, just imagine where that would go if adult sims were on the mobile app. Could well spell the end of SL in a matter of months.

A mobile viewer does make the 3d view more static as the graphics are slower to render then a quality dedicated card does but in a skybox with only one or two others it is doable. One simply doesn't attempt to move around and change views as much. For those who haven't a recommended computer available, it is doable on a more limited basis. The fear of viewing or doing adult stuff was already a thing on Lumiya back before the Lab screwed up the protocol and can in fact still be done on other platforms where Lumiya still works. I don't see that as a justification for not having a working Mobile viewer. That has been a thing in SL for over 12 years already. This isn't new, just the Lab's own version, if they actually release it in general which at this point I am starting to doubt.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Flush out the old crotchedy crabby fuddy duddies and bring in new blood. Crabby fuddy duddies (from SL) helped destroy Sansar...

You need to learn to live in reality.

Sansar killed it's self.

Corporate Morons, came up with a plan to make a platform NOBODY wanted to use.

Then they couldn't make up their minds exactly what KIND of platform NOBODY wanted to use, they wanted to make.

Then they decided that instead of using exiisting technology, they would re-inent the wheel on everything, and for purposes of controlling IP on the new wheels, decided to make them TRIIANGULAR instead of old fuddy duddy ROUND wheels.

Broken concept, no clear directiion, and lack luster fuster cluck coded with dreadful rendering and a total lack of any features that would attract any users.

They ditched Sansar because they had 70 staff, and a concurrency of 15. Not 15,000, not 1,500. not 150. 15.

The fact that you KEEP going on about how it could have been great if only for it hadnt had blah blah blah pick a group you despise, women, leftsts, people with 3 diigiit IQ scorres, whatever, doesn't change why Sansar failed.

It was badly made sh*te NOBODY wanted to use.

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Thecla said:

OF COURSE you're not going to be able to visit adult sims on a mobile viewer, that is the worst idea ever. EVER.

Someone visits SL on their cell phone, visits an adult sim, encounters some inflagrante action....AND PASSES THEIR PHONE AROUND.

Lol, exactly this. People hitting up adult clubs while sitting around in class or slacking off at work. And sure, you can access real adult content on a phone via a browser or whatever, no big deal, but our content is a little...special sometimes, and we've got things some of the more mainstream sites wouldn't be caught dead hosting. 

Just now, Zalificent Corvinus said:

When I first saw the scripting language Sansar used, and that it was similar to C# with a seemingly infinite number of libraries..

Nope. And I'm a professional programmer.  I'm so spoiled by LSL, that I did NOT want to get into that *****e.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Younger players are the future.. And they have lots of money to spend on things when they want to.

well... LL managed to let at least 64.500.000 accounts leave without trace and no money at all ...
( and those 64.500.000 were only the ones that even took the efford to sign up .. think we would fear for the amount that even didn't do that ...)

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

well... LL managed to let at least 64.500.000 accounts leave without trace and no money at all ...
( and those 64.500.000 were only the ones that even took the efford to sign up .. think we would fear for the amount that even didn't do that ...)

Who cares if a billion people try the new app and leave after one try... as long as even a million or half a million of them decide to stay as active users. it will make SL grow significantly. One has to concentrate on the number of active users that are gained. Retention rate isn't really that important at all.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I keep hearing complaints about Apple taking 30% .. but what would you rather have 70% of nothing or 70% of something? If a mobile app brings in revenue that would not have been here otherwise, isn't it worth the fee?

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Blush Bravin said:

I keep hearing complaints about Apple taking 30% .. but what would you rather have 70% of nothing or 70% of something? If a mobile app brings in revenue that would not have been here otherwise, isn't it worth the fee?

That sure is an option.  After all, Mobile also has the Unity license issue (last I heard)..LL has to pay for that somehow too.

I wonder how that 30% would work:  Merchants will get 30% less for Mobile sales...?

2 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

If a mobile app brings in revenue

If those mobile users are zero spend teens from Crapblox... Then it's 70% of sod all. Not worth the time, effort and money to bring in.

Also, who exactly will be taking that 30% hit, consumers, creators or LL?

Somehow I don't see LL taking the hit, they jacked fees to cover the cost of paying a handful of devs to put n broken features. They won't pay 30% tax to protect creators incomes, or keep consumer's costs down.

Mobile means higher fees. Simple as that.

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That sure is an option.  After all, Mobile also has the Unity license issue (last I heard)..LL has to pay for that somehow too.

I wonder how that 30% would work:  Merchants will get 30% less for Mobile sales...?

Way above my paygrade to figure out how that would work.

But, currently some merchants sell their products inworld for less than they sell the same product in the MP because the MP takes an additional cut. So people can decide where they want to make their purchase, right? If Apple is going to take 30% of all sales made within the app, then okay. Perhaps merchants will figure out a way to do like they do now with making accommodations based on whether the purchase originates inworld on the app or outside the app and directly for their browser. I dunno. But I know merchants are creative and have for the most part figured ways around things. I doubt this will be any different.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

You need to learn to live in reality.

Sansar killed it's self.

Corporate Morons, came up with a plan to make a platform NOBODY wanted to use.

Then they couldn't make up their minds exactly what KIND of platform NOBODY wanted to use, they wanted to make.

Then they decided that instead of using exiisting technology, they would re-inent the wheel on everything, and for purposes of controlling IP on the new wheels, decided to make them TRIIANGULAR instead of old fuddy duddy ROUND wheels.

Broken concept, no clear directiion, and lack luster fuster cluck coded with dreadful rendering and a total lack of any features that would attract any users.

They ditched Sansar because they had 70 staff, and a concurrency of 15. Not 15,000, not 1,500. not 150. 15.

The fact that you KEEP going on about how it could have been great if only for it hadnt had blah blah blah pick a group you despise, women, leftsts, people with 3 diigiit IQ scorres, whatever, doesn't change why Sansar failed.

Of course YOU would tell me and others to live in 'reality'... Of course it's always YOUR reality isn't it? Classic definition of 'gaslighting'.  I do my best to live in reality, with self-assessment, constant learning, and researching the topics I speak about, along with wisdom and experience to form my opinions. I also support those opinions with reasons, facts and suitable quotes if necessary. That way instead of  YOU arguing about me personally, you can counter-argue my thoughts or sources, instead of always making it personal.

Sansar killed itself, because it listened to much to a tiny toxic community of fuddy duddies who wanted to keep it all to themselves. They let politics and social issues rule their decision making, they ignored (and hated) the very user market (Robloxers and VRCHatters, etc) that would make them successful. This is not the ENTIRETY, but a large part. It's the same attitude I see from you and others - who can contribute to SL not growing - or chasing away new and existing users with your hostile, often 'bad faith' attitude. An almost deluded, state of denial of what causes something to be stagnant and die.

That's an interesting projection, and strawman as to my position on things. I wonder how you come up with these things sometimes. Perhaps you should think a bit longer before responding in such a offensive way.

And yes, I will keep going on pointing out toxic behaviours on a platform, because that's where the rubber meets the road at the end of the day. Bad experience with people, people don't come back.

The Solution? Open it up, work towards making it more accessible, affordable and intuitive to people and they will come.

12 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

If those mobile users are zero spend teens from Crapblox... Then it's 70% of sod all. Not worth the time, effort and money to bring in.

Also, who exactly will be taking that 30% hit, consumers, creators or LL?

Somehow I don't see LL taking the hit, they jacked fees to cover the cost of paying a handful of devs to put n broken features. They won't pay 30% tax to protect creators incomes, or keep consumer's costs down.

Mobile means higher fees. Simple as that.

:: shakes finger :: ah ah ah.. I already addressed that point.Teens are the largest consumer and growing, or did you decide to ignore that point just to promote your own? And you think everyone else here is ignorant.

Mobile will bring more users. A slight percentage hike won't change much. Add that to the price of your products if you need to. The more users, the more people to meet and talk to, the more to purchase products... Sounds good to me. We're opening the gates, pal. Opening them wide!

Edited by Codex Alpha
word correction
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Way above my paygrade to figure out how that would work.

But, currently some merchants sell their products inworld for less than they sell the same product in the MP because the MP takes an additional cut. So people can decide where they want to make their purchase, right? If Apple is going to take 30% of all sales made within the app, then okay. Perhaps merchants will figure out a way to do like they do now with making accommodations based on whether the purchase originates inworld on the app or outside the app and directly for their browser. I dunno. But I know merchants are creative and have for the most part figured ways around things. I doubt this will be any different.

Well yes, it's not our job to figure it out, but you never know - our discussion may be the first (or almost the first) time it was discussed publicly!

Based on your answer, it would be interesting if LL adds a feature to "allow a % markup" for in-App purchases.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
Changed "App" to "in-App"
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Sansar killed itself, because it listened to much to a tiny toxic community of fuddy duddies who wanted to keep it all to themselves. They let politics and social issues rule their decision making, they ignored (and hated) the very user market (Robloxers and VRCHatters, etc) that would make them successful. This is not the ENTIRETY, but a large part. It's the same attitude I see from you and others - who can contribute to SL not growing - or chasing away new and existing users with your hostile, often 'bad faith' attitude. An almost deluded, state of denial of what causes something to be stagnant and die.

The corporate suits wanted Sansar to be a marketing tool for corporate customers, see next year's Mercedes today in R, but Mercedes weren't interested.

They tried making it a place where zero talent failed artiiste wannabes would pay to show their failed art to people. That idea didn't fly either.

It certainly wasn't marketed at Crapbloxers.

It's 3 biggest problems were 

1. Jumping on the VRR bandwagon when the smart money was jumping OFF.

2. Bad concept, badly planned, badly made and badly marketed.

3. Zero talent failed artiste wannabes talking sh*te about "how great it was blah blah artistic vision blah blah get riid of the proles who don't appreciaate my artistic genius enough to pay over the odds for my art blah blah".

That you liked it comes as no surprise.

14 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

I wonder how you come up with these things sometimes

Oh that's easy, II read the posts you make. That's all that it takes for people to disagree with you. Like you constantly referring to pigtails as "piggy tails" because you wanted to be patronising and demeaning towards "mere women".

Like you claiming that mainlanders who didn't let you in their houses should have those houses bulldozed by LL. The list goes on and on.

18 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

I already addressed that point.Teens are the largest consumer and growing

No you didn't.

Teens don't have jobs paying high salariies, they don't have index linked pension plans paying regular wads of cash.

What they have is parents.

Teens don't buy multi-hundred dollar games consoles, and $70 AAA game titles, their parents do. The same parents who don't and won't pay enough for Crapblox for it to survive.

And that still doesn't answer "who will take the 30% hit of Awful Mac Tax" which is what you claim you dealt with but didn't. Epic Fail, as usuaal.

21 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

A slight percentage height won't change much

30 % isn't "slight". Go learn about percentages, then come back in 5 years.

23 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

he more users, the more people to meet and talk to, the more to purchase products

With all that money their parents won't let them have for a "kinky pron simulator" yeah right. There is NO vast new income from stealing 16 yrr olds off Crraapblox. That's not how the gaming industry works.

Maybe you should go away and learn about the gaming industry too, and how it's in deep trouble right now. How 60 % of all time spent playing games is spent on games over 6 yrs old, because people don't want games designed by people who think like you claim to.

26 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Sounds good to me. We're opening the gates, pal. Opening them wide!

Yeah, hordes of useless teens who can't spend the money their parents won't give them, all trapped in the really boring parts of SL. Bound to work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1