Lindens Statements from Governance Meeting

1 hour ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Add the diaper and dildo pacifier in her mouth, and that  sex with old men is why she is there - well if that isn't age-play, I will bite my big toe

"Eeeww, old men?? That's so gross! Wouldn't want to catch old men cooties! Mommy would spank me!"

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

And they're assigned by review boards that are opaque and capricious. Be careful what you wish for.

We can have more detail in the rules without having an oversight board apply certifications. It's not one OR the other.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Frankie Antonioni said:

Scylla Rhiadra said this in the first page.

=Also someone asking that "extreme violence" be now permitted on Moderate regions so that kids can participate in combat RP. Which I'd sure as hell fight. And also, kids in gory, violent combat RP? WTF?=

So that tells me that child avatars can now engage in combat.

Okay, let's remember they are not really kids.  They are just pixels on a screen which I keep seeing a lot of people seem to forget.  The people running the avatars are adults. 

On the subject of combat, kid av's are allowed to participate in combat.  The problem is the really bloody and gory kind takes place in adult sims.  They won't those to be in moderate sims so they can play.  I understand what they want, if not the spirit. 

I don't care for hard core violent games.  We have hosted Zombie hunts with cartoon violence in a moderate sim and probably will continue to do so.  

So yea, but ick 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

Sorry to be picky, but it isn't just str8 men that find women's breasts arousing. Bi women and lesbians exist, and IME both are pretty fond of women's breasts. :)

100% straight woman here. I find all bosoms lovely. Just because someone sexualizes a part of the body doesn't make it sexual IMO. If that were the case we'd have to cover our feet, ankles, elbows, thighs, knees, the list is too long to list here. :) 

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I've watched ancient world combat and gladiatorial combat. There is sometimes blood, but I haven't seen torture, cannibalism, or body parts getting hacked off in Moderate sims. I've seen devices that electrocute or behead avatars in Moderate sims, but they were part of games or were "unlucky chairs" giving out prizes. 

I agree.  It's a cartoon world so cartoon violence is good enough for me.   Even the worst of it can be toned down to cartoon level.  If you want realism, maybe SL isn't for you. 

What do you call a fake noodle?   A Impasta....😁

Edited by Madi Melodious
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

100% straight woman here. I find all bosoms lovely. Just because someone sexualizes a part of the body doesn't make it sexual IMO. If that were the case we'd have to cover our feet, ankles, elbows, thighs, knees, the list is to long to list here. :) 

I agree, I love curved forms rather than hard lines and angles, and women tend to have those. OTOH, I have tried figure drawing and painting and found men more interesting to (poorly attempt) to draw because of the many smaller shapes and shadows.

Then again, women used to have to *be* covered all over, right? The beachwear of the past OMG. But I get your point.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Note: It's possible the children pictured are 3 boys. The webpage I took it from doesn't say. 

At that age, they both look the same.. I just think modesty layers are just to play it safe, keep the TOS simple for under-age, and mainly this age group. LL would have to decide whether they would lose TONS of users on this simple little change over this issue, or if it's just a minority 0.000001% of users who care.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

I agree, I love curved forms rather than hard lines and angles, and women tend to have those. OTOH, I have tried figure drawing and painting and found men more interesting to (poorly attempt) to draw because of the many smaller shapes and shadows.

Then again, women used to have to *be* covered all over, right? The beachwear of the past OMG. But I get your point.

Now we're on the other extreme, with teen girls on the beach wearing thongs and ever more skimpy swimwear... in a time where females claim to not appreciate 'the male gaze' or unwanted attention from males.

OfficialGroundedProtagonists.webp.fac62683c13bfc0f4f2e0a10137a88a2.webp

These are characters from the game "Grounded" and it's a lot more violent then most SL violence (though still cartoony), and it's rated pegi-12. Think moderate sims will be fine with violence.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Leslie Trihey said:

Most second life combat is barely pg, it's like beating each other with foam or using pellet guns until a combat meter/RP meter decide's someone falls over and a ketchup packet explodes.

Well, we do have the new Combat 2 system coming out.  Some of the new gaming functions and events have hit the wiki.  I'm excited about it.   I really like this event.

Game control - Second Life Wiki

Even if it's designed for combat, I just want to be able sit back and control my horse as I ride it without having to bother with a keyboard.   So much potential in this one event.    Please don't screw this up LL.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Now we're on the other extreme, with teen girls on the beach wearing thongs and ever more skimpy swimwear... in a time where females claim to not appreciate 'the male gaze' or unwanted attention from males.

🙄

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Madi Melodious said:

Well, we do have the new Combat 2 system coming out.  Some of the new gaming functions and events have hit the wiki.  I'm excited about it.   I really like this event.

Game control - Second Life Wiki

Even if it's designed for combat, I just want to be able sit back and control my horse as I ride it without having to bother with a keyboard.   So much potential in this one event.    Please don't screw this up LL.  

Oooo. That's epic. I'd love to go about the mainland in my various vehicles with a controller. I will also pray that this goes well. 💖

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

Okay, let's remember they are not really kids.  They are just pixels on a screen which I keep seeing a lot of people seem to forget.  The people running the avatars are adults. 

They might be pixels, but the same could be said for movies or photographs. Whether real or not, people feel child avatars are real enough and I persoanlly would not want to see child avatars being shot, stabbed, ran through or worse. I may be wrong, but I'd argue a lot of adult avatars would feel the same. I imagine to a lot of them, it would be very disturning to have child avatars involved in that sort of combat RP. 

42 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

They wan't those to be in moderate sims so they can play. 

They might want it but I'm not sure it is a reasonable request - I understand you are not personally advocating for them, merely explaining. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

🙄

🙄

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, brodiac90 said:

They might be pixels, but the same could be said for movies or photographs. Whether real or not, people feel child avatars are real enough and I persoanlly would not want to see child avatars being shot, stabbed, ran through or worse. I may be wrong, but I'd argue a lot of adult avatars would feel the same. I imagine to a lot of them, it would be very disturning to have child avatars involved in that sort of combat RP. 

Eh, back in the day I used to frequent this combat sim called "Carnage island" as a kid avatar. Nobody cared. Only complaint I ever really got is that I was to small to hit/see. 😛

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Leslie Trihey said:

Eh, back in the day I used to frequent this combat sim called "Carnage island" as a kid avatar. Nobody cared. Only complaint I ever really got is that I was to small to hit/see. 😛

What sort of sim was it though? What sort of violence?

Edited by brodiac90

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

What sort of sim was it though? What sort of violence?

First person shooter styled with a scripted combat system with blood splatter that also exploded avatars in certain situations, with giblets and everything.

Edited by Leslie Trihey

15 minutes ago, Leslie Trihey said:

OfficialGroundedProtagonists.webp.fac62683c13bfc0f4f2e0a10137a88a2.webp

These are characters from the game "Grounded" and it's a lot more violent then most SL violence (though still cartoony), and it's rated pegi-12. Think moderate sims will be fine with violence.

Standards set in other games, products, places or media do not apply here.

We have the ToS.

If the ToS say's you can't swear on G land, it doesn't matter how many F bombs a movie might allow in PG.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

And they're assigned by review boards that are opaque and capricious. Be careful what you wish for.

Movie reviews are heavily influenced by the time and social normals of the time.   In my movie collection the following movies are rated 'G'   Star Trek the Motion Picture (1979), and Forbidden Planet (1956).  Both of these movies would be rated PG today.   From 1977, Wizards with a PG rating.  No doubt that would be rated R today.    Fire and Ice from 1983 with a PG rating.   That one would have at least a PG-13 rating today.

😇Madi's Life Hack 😇

Does your phones native alarms not wake you up?  Replace the native alarm with the sound of a cat hocking up a hairball.  That will get you out of bed. 😎

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Standards set in other games, products, places or media do not apply here.

We have the ToS.

If the ToS say's you can't swear on G land, it doesn't matter how many F bombs a movie might allow in PG.

The TOS is also influenced by modern standards.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

Movie reviews are heavily influenced by the time and social normals of the time.   In my movie collection the following movies are rated 'G'   Star Trek the Motion Picture (1979), and Forbidden Planet (1956).  Both of these movies would be rated PG today.   From 1977, Wizards with a PG rating.  No doubt that would be rated R today.    Fire and Ice from 1983 with a PG rating.   That one would have at least a PG-13 rating today.

😇Madi's Life Hack 😇

Does your phones native alarms not wake you up?  Replace the native alarm with the sound of a cat hocking up a hairball.  That will get you out of bed. 😎

It's a good point actually, Robin Hood Prince of Theives was given a PG rating in the UK and it has a scene where a young boy (Wulf) is nearly hung among other things. You'd never get away with that these days. 

Edited by brodiac90
  • Like 2

Just now, Leslie Trihey said:

The TOS is also influenced by modern standards.

The ToS is what's applied.

When the punishment for getting it wrong can be a perma-ban, there is no point taking risks based on personal notions of "common sense". It doesn't matter if this is an inaccurate user impression.

22 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

They might want it but I'm not sure it is a reasonable request - I understand you are not personally advocating for them, merely explaining. 

I really don't care for realistic violent games, so I don't really understand the appeal.  At the same time, I agree with @Leslie Trihey in that SL games, even the really violent ones are little more than cartoon violence.   An given the nature of SL limited graphics and subtility as a game platform.  I'm probably neutral on this issue at best.  I don't understand the appeal but I'm not going to protest if they allowed it.

On the other hand.  We all have to admit that SL is a poor choice for those types of games.  The resources required of a computer to run SL at that level of graphics details is no small order.  I feel that is you must have graphics of that level you would be better off seeking platforms outside of SL for that reason.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1