Attention! Use of Red Cross mark

4 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Well, if we're talking ROLEPLAY.

Though they will probably need a RP costume of a Red Cross Nurse, to wear while they pretend to fill out DMCA's, assuming they can find a Red Cross uniform in SL that isn't a "war crime against the Geneva Convention" of course.

Possibly, the RP would be enhanced by wearing a "butthurt bandage".

• Haha 1

I figured out the possible source of the "complaint". 

By "misusing" the ICRC symbols, it possibly "dilutes" the main purpose - to identify those who are neutral non-combatants providing aid during wartime and guarantee their safety.

OTOH, this ain't RL.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

As an amateur vexillologist myself, the Flag Institute is quite correct about the Union Flag's status and usage.

The Union Flag (as it is correctly called) was originally created to identify King James I warships with a common identification flag, by combining the patron saint crosses of his two kingdoms of England and Scotland together to form a recognition flag for his Royal Navy. The Union flag wasn't created as a national flag, it's a royal identification flag.

The rules about the Union Flag are quite clear and strict, the flag is NOT an official national flag, as the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland is NOT a country and NOT a nation, it is a Sovereign State.

No act or law has been passed through the UK's Parliament or been given Royal Assent to make the Union Flag an official "national flag". As the UK is a complex entity, it doesn't have an official  "national flag", but allows the Union Flag to semi-officially fill in for the place of one.

The British monarchy grants permission for national organisations the usage of the Royal Navy's Union Flag to represent the UK in a world where most countries have their own official national flags. But the Union Flag is still a Royal Flag, not a national flag, as the UK is neither a nation or a country.

[snip]

Just like Sheldon on the "Big Bag Theory"!

2 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

Just a FYI: The term is technically plural, and refers to the agreed upon conventions of war: 

Wikipedia: The Geneva Conventions are international humanitarian lawsconsisting of four treaties and three additional protocols that establish international legal standards for humanitarian treatment in war. The singular term Geneva Convention colloquially denotes the agreements of 1949, negotiated in the aftermath of the Second World War (1939–1945), which updated the terms of the two 1929 treaties and added two new conventions. The Geneva Conventions extensively define the basic rights of wartime prisoners, civilians and military personnel; establish protections for the wounded and sick; and provide protections for the civilians in and around a war-zone.[2]

TMTCDR - Too many text colors, didn't read

Omg, a new forum reader would probably be scared off by all the picky, self-righteous "authorities" on this thread. We're gonna need a proctologist for some  stick removals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

"Quite" is an English word with more than one meaning; "quite" can be used to add extra emphasis to a statement.

"It rained quite hard today".

"My headache hurts quite badly".

"My headache is quite better, it's almost gone".

It's just like "very" then, an overused qualifier that adds no actual meaning, with the exception that "quite" sounds pretentious when used by someone who is not English.

4 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

It's just like "very" then, ...

It's exact meaning also depends on the inflection and context. "That's quite large" might refer to something very big, or not as big as expected or wanted, for example. Thus it's quite useless really in written communication.

Edited by Rick Nightingale
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bubblesort Triskaidekaphobia said:

I think the fetish nurses should sue the Geneva conventions, for infringing on their IP!

Earlier in the thread I was gonna paste a picture of a naughty nurse costume, but found the ones on Google image search actually had a white cross on a red background. I assume this inversion is to protect manufacturers from copyright infringement, as well as complaint letters from well-meaning consumers hoping to educate and enlighten them.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

By "misusing" the ICRC symbols, it possibly "dilutes" the main purpose - to identify those who are neutral non-combatants providing aid during wartime and guarantee their safety.

OTOH, this ain't RL.

I wonder how well that's working in Gaza?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:
30 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

OTOH, this ain't RL.

I wonder how well that's working in Gaza?

Exactly why someone would bring it up "now". 

Of course, this has nothing to do with Second Life, so if that is why someone brought it up then it is against the Forum Guidelines. Supposebly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:
22 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

"quite" sounds pretentious when used by someone who is not English.

You are quite wrong...

If only we could speak English, or British, or whatever it is!

34 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

It's just like "very" then, an overused qualifier that adds no actual meaning, with the exception that "quite" sounds pretentious when used by someone who is not English.

Y'all are trying to make me say something salty today, aren't you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Conifer Dada said:

The flag of England is a red cross on a white background, the St. George's cross.

england flag.jpg

Note: - not to be confused with the Union Jack, which is the flag of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, which combines the flags of England, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

union jack.jpg

Ahem ... Union flag. It's only properly called the Union Jack when it's being flown on the the jack stand of a royal naval vessel. Hence, Union Jack.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Any relationship with the St. Andrew's Cross? 

4 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

That's Scotland! :D

Yes, though I suspect @Love Zhaoying was hinting at a particular type of equipment used in BDSM play.

Flag of Scotland:

image.thumb.png.3c5a8da309a261f0f5a7c0b5c3e8ff93.png

Crucifixion of St. Andrew, the patron saint of Scotland

image.png.b819cff7f215dd19849626f8d1cc4ee4.png

St. Andrew's cross as used in SL BDSM play

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SL_St_Andrews_Cross.png

Edited by Persephone Emerald
To add pictures
  • Thanks 2